Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating sub directory for password protection through Cpanel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating sub directory for password protection through Cpanel.

Hi there. I am running a test to see if I can password protect a section of my site through cpanel. I know that I can protect a "directory" but am unsure exactly what is considered a directory in the backend of the site. Here's what I tried:

- Created Home page (works fine) www.justgetmeonline.com
    - Create link to member area http://www.justgetmeonline.com/members/testpage.html (expecting cpanel to prompt for info once running correctly)
    - Go into file manager in Cpanel and create new folder called members
    - Create page in BV called testpage and upload to the new members folder

This is as far as I've gotten, I uploaded successfully the testpage to the new members folder...but can't pull it up on a browser, any ideas?

These would have been my next steps if the previous had worked...
    - Go into Cpanel to the password protected directories icon
    - Choose "members" folder and add new user
    - Go back to site, follow link from home page, get prompt and enter info, be sent to testpage.

I wrote this all in this "what I would have done format" because I'm not at all sure I'm barking up the right tree here... Is a directory the same thing as a folder in the file manager?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Andy

Re: Creating sub directory for password protection through Cpanel.

Sounds correct in what you are doing. So in your cpanel you have gone to the public_html directory & created a sub directory (or folder) called members? If so! you would publish your new page called testpage to the public_html/members/ area & the link would be as above.
    Once this is working you can follow the tutorial on password protected pages.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
    X