Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing Pages

Hi folks

First post on here and pretty new to the whole website building experience!

Have built up the pages of my site this week and it is now ready to go live on the internet.

I watched the tutorial re publishing and it was very helpful. I followed it step by step and BlueVoda advised my site was sucessfully published. However when I type in my domain name (which is www.auchinlecktalbotfc.com) it shows just an index page with a list of images and text pieces. Why does it not show the layout which I designed etc?

My domain name is purchased through Namesco Ltd and I contacted them this morning and asked them to update my DNS as adivsed in the welcome to Vodahost email I recieved. It did say in a box that this may take 12 to 72 hours to complete.

Is this why my home page displays as just a list of objects?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Stef

Re: Publishing Pages

Hi.. open up that page you have called home, rename it index and publish this page as index ... each website needs to have a page entitled index, named, saved and published as this ... your domain has propogated so this should fix this issue ..

Also - its important when naming and linking pages that they all be lower case, no spaces between words unless the words are otherwise joined together by the use of the _underscore symbol ... if you get into the habit of this you will find the pages you publish and their urls more easily.

You will note with this url, although found, http://www.auchinlecktalbotfc.com/Ta...me%20Page.html

it makes for a very messy url and isn't formatted properly ...

this page should be renamed index and published as index

Although you do not have any other pages published yet, or maybe you do not have any .. all other pages should be named, saved and published, lower case.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

That worked, for this first time this week I have smiled regarding this website!! I can't thank you enough!!

Now I follwed the process to link the pages together, but when I preview the page in my browser the pages come up with error 404?

For example, I have linked the History page but it does not work. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thank again!

Stef

Comment

Originally posted by AuchinleckTalbotFC View Post
        That worked, for this first time this week I have smiled regarding this website!! I can't thank you enough!!

Now I follwed the process to link the pages together, but when I preview the page in my browser the pages come up with error 404?

For example, I have linked the History page but it does not work. Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thank again!

Stef
        I have (touchwood) fixed this above problem and the home (index) page is now linking to the history page. I am over the moon! Will continue to work through these pages. No doubt get stuck at some point though!!

Stef

Comment

Excellent, glad to hear it ... good luck with the rest ...

just remember - lower case, no spaces, small relevant words for page names .. apply the exact page name for the link .... match things up, makes for a perfect game!!

Cheers!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you very much. Now I am just going through the site linking all the pages back and forth kind of thing. The thing I have noticed is that when they are showing on the internet, they the tab says "untitled page". Why is this? I must be missing something.

Regards
            Stef

Comment

Originally posted by AuchinleckTalbotFC View Post
              Thank you very much. Now I am just going through the site linking all the pages back and forth kind of thing. The thing I have noticed is that when they are showing on the internet, they the tab says "untitled page". Why is this? I must be missing something.

Regards
              Stef
              Ah yes, and this is taken care of differently than naming and saving your pages ..

if you right click on your page, and choose page properties you will see a tab entitled General - you will see where you type a very relevant title for your page .. this is different than described above as I have said ... this is what your visitors and the search engines will read .. so it's important for each page title to be as unique as your pages .. so write some good content .. you can safely write about 12 words or less there ... under the metatags tab, you will write some good keywords here .. those that pertain to each page and then you will notice page description. Make a nice write up of what the page contains in this section .. think of how someone might find you if they do a search .. but make sure this information is also written on your page .. keywords should be written at least three times on your page in order to officially be a keyword ... remember, each page is different ...

you are welcome .. good luck :)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks once again, I will give this a try.

We made the pages by creating the home page and then cloning all the other pages from the home (index) page. To link the pages do I have to go through every page and do it, or is there is quicker wa of doing this?

Regards
                Stef

Comment

HELP!! Please!

My organigram page (www.auchinlecktalbotfc.com/organigram) is all muddled up when published but not like that on my screen in BlueVoda. Whats happening?

Comment

The above page appeared ok but when I clicked home page all the colours ran etc. Where am I going wrong? :( :(

Comment

Try republishing your page again .. have you copied a shape and then changed it .. or have you copied a menu bar and then changed it ... sometimes this will happen if you make changes on something you have copied .. once you copy something you shouldnt change it,you should instead insert a fresh item when you want to change things ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

You stated above that you cloned all of your pages from the index/home page. It looks to me like some of the information from other pages is piling up on the pages, causing blurring and muddling of the pages. JMHUO
                        Dan

Our SOHO built site

Comment

Thanks for your kind replies.

Yes I did clone the home page to create other pages so they all appeared the same in terms of layout etc. Could this be what is causing the problem? And if so am I going to have to redesign all pages?

Regards
                          Stef

Comment

No cloning good and the best way to create your pages. What Ladyeye was saying is that you may have added a shape, menu bar, or another element to a page , copied it to another page and made changes to the it. This will cause it to change unexpectedly on the ohter pages. You should always insert a fresh element for each page (do not copy and paste). Otherwise it could have just been a problem when it was publishing the data, try republishing the page and see if it takes care of the problem.
                            Reguards
                            Ed
                            www.dsondesigns.com
                            www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                            www.300hitter.com
                            www.bigjk.net
                            How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Ok I will have a look at the original pages on BlueVoda and see if I can see if I have used any shapes etc.
                              If you go to the team page on my site (which touchwood, still works right now!) the black background I created by drawing a rectangle, filling it in black and then putting images text etc on top. Would this be classed as a shape? This shape would have been modified as it was part of the originally cloned page, and each page on the site is different in length so I did adjust the size of the rectangle on each page.
                              It is my history page which concerns me. When you go to this page, instead of showing the black background tht all pages should have, its a yellow colour which looks like the colours have ran, for lack of a better explanation.

Thanks again for everyones help. Last night these troubles were really getting to me :(

Regards
                              Stef

Comment

Working...
                              X