PDA

View Full Version : The things you can do...

racefan20
02-25-2006, 09:14 AM
...with a simple phpBB forum are quite amazing when you take the time and patience to make it all work. It involves lots of research and lots of file editing, but the end result, when everything is done properly, is a nice forum your users like and want to visit again. Sure, you can have a forum on your site using the basic set up, but your users won't be impressed and probably won't stick around. They want functionality in one form or another, and you won't have that.

I'd like to invite you all to visit my forum at this address (http://daysofblunder.com/forum/index.php) and take a look around. See what you can do if you are willing to work on this stuff. The forum at the very bottom of the screen - Voda Guests - is configured so you can post on it without needing to register, which will allow you to see all the things you can accomplish if you are willing to WORK for it.

racefan20
02-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Navaldesign... I activated the edit button for guests.

navaldesign
02-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Cool! Now,if you can, explain me how did i do that thing on my second post ???

Hey guys, go there and see what php2bb can do in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing !

racefan20
02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
Looks like you figured it out. LOL

Chael
07-01-2006, 09:12 PM
can i reccomend you do the quick reply mod, the majority of people like quick reply :D

racefan20
07-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Nope. lol

davidundalicia
07-01-2006, 11:17 PM
why not ??

racefan20
07-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Because it's not conducive to the style of my forum. The people who visit like to carry on conversations which was the intent. The result is there is one thread (http://www.daysofblunder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=22220) on there with well over 20,000 posts and if someone comes in and uses a quick reply, no one knows who they are responding to.

I have a 'post reply' button built into each post which is basically a fancy 'quote' button, but it makes it easy to tell who is posting to whom and it's a breeze for people who've just logged in to get caught up with the conversation.

davidundalicia
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Very logical and well thought out, thanks for the info race.

NOW I shall HAVE to visit your forum..........

racefan20
07-01-2006, 11:55 PM
By all means, come on by.

Lincslady
07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey very nice racey, ive just been n had a play :o)

Dana
07-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Very nice forum. I am very impressed.
Dana

Vasili
07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
So....you make this sound as intimidating as OSC.....

I have already aged fiddle-farting with Soho, have 2 OSC carts to yet install, and need to do a phpBB Forum in a password-protected mode for "Associate Only" use. Am I peeing in the wind again???

racefan20
07-13-2006, 09:37 AM
So....you make this sound as intimidating as OSC.....

I have already aged fiddle-farting with Soho, have 2 OSC carts to yet install, and need to do a phpBB Forum in a password-protected mode for "Associate Only" use. Am I peeing in the wind again???

Do yourself a favor and spring for a vBulletin forum. For the longest time, I couldn't afford/ didn't see the need for vBulletin but now that I have one, I'll never use phpBB again. What took hours/days/weeks to build with phpBB is already configured into vBulletin.

You can do what you're looking to do with phpBB with some modifications and I'll always be available to help with any questions, but I promise that vBulletin will make your life a lot simpler.

Vasili
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Moola?? Mucho? or more like a box of cigars and a case of beer?

And...THANK YOU for the candor. It really helps keep me sane....I guess....
PS_ Liked your avatar pix in the Forum....so you race yourself? (not much of a name-knower)

racefan20
07-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Moola?? Mucho? or more like a box of cigars and a case of beer?

And...THANK YOU for the candor. It really helps keep me sane....I guess....

85 bucks for a single year license and right around twice that amount for a lifetime license. It's so easy to use that I'm having problems getting a good grip on it - I'm used to things being MUCH more difficult. LOL

Vasili
07-13-2006, 09:52 AM
TYVM....a box of GOOD cigars and a pony keg it is!
we are so similar in so many ways....LOLOLOL
WHOOPS! Who said that?

Pass the bottle, Mate?

racefan20
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
TYVM....a box of GOOD cigars and a pony keg it is!
we are so similar in so many ways....LOLOLOL
WHOOPS! Who said that?

Pass the bottle, Mate?

No bottle handy, but I do have an extra, cold 12 ounce...

Vasili
07-13-2006, 10:13 AM
No bottle handy, but I do have an extra, cold 12 ounce...
Classic. Purely classic!
Yeah....we would have a "memorable" time at the VH picnic, I can see it now! LOLOLOLOLOL

racefan20
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Classic. Purely classic!
Yeah....we would have a "memorable" time at the VH picnic, I can see it now! LOLOLOLOLOL

With memorable being a relative phrase? LOL The best times are the ones people have to tell you about later.