publishing to web question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• publishing to web question

I have created a domain and 2 sub domains to work either together or seperatly.

domain.org.uk
    sub1.domain.org.uk
    sub2.domain.org.uk

Each opening page is named index and though still under develoopment are statisfactory for me at the moment but not yet announced publicly.

When published and loaded into the browser they appear to be

http://www.domain.org.uk/domain.html#
    http://www.domain.org.uk/sub1.html
    http://www.domain.org.uk/sub2.html

I was expecting visitors to access them by typing
    www.domain.org.uk
    www.sub1.domain.org.uk
    www.sub2.domain.org.uk
    into the address bar but this does not work. I end up with a list of all the content of the index not the index page.
    Which in the case of the main domain contains all the content of the 3, but for the sub domains nothing but the cgi-bin.

Have I missed something? And how do I begin to put this right before announcing things to the public?

Re: Problem with publishing to web

Are you publishing your sub domain pages to public_html/sub1/ & the same again for sub2.??
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Insted of sub-domains you should have made them add-on domains. That way they can be accessed as you described. Delete the sub-domains and create the add-ons and pubish to them.
      Reguards
      Ed
      www.dsondesigns.com
      www.marseillesyouthsports.com
      www.300hitter.com
      www.bigjk.net
      How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi Ed, he is correct if he want a sub domain & the address will be..........
        domain.org.uk
        sub1.domain.org.uk
        sub2.domain.org.uk
        I am wondering if sub directory's have been created instead of sub domains.
        Sub domains have to be created via the c panel.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Actually, I have managed to solve my origianl problem after reading the reply to another thread

I have just one problem now, how do I work out which IP address I should be posting my sub domains to? All this list of numbers is confusing me

I am going to spend a bit of time trying to sort it out, but would appreciate a pointing finger in the mean time.

Sorry to be a pest.

Comment

Hi,

You first hav to add the 2 extra domain names as add-on domains.
            Goto cPanel>Add-on Domain and follow the instructions there.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Re: publishing to web question

These 2 domains are already registered as sub domains. It will not allow me to add them as addon domains.

Comment

I have been doing some research this afternoon whilst waiting for a reply to my previous post. I have come accross two similar problems and have come to the comclusion I may have had my problem solved for me. I just need confirmation before I go ahead and do it

My main site publishes in the Folder: public_html

trying to publish my sub domains overwrites it and gives the wrong site from the browser.

Should I be publishing to Folder: public_html/sub1.domain.org.uk
                or something similar?

Comment

When creating your two subdomains in your Cpanel, the folders should have been created automatically (based on the names you supplied, of course). So if everything went correctly, you should now have a folder on the server something along the lines of of this: public_html/subdomainname. There would be no .org or anything. When you hit the Publish icon, you would publish your page to public_html/subdomainname. Then, when you wanted to see your page on the web, you would look for www.subdomainname.maindomainname.com (or whatever you have instead of .com). http://www.subdomainname.maindomainname.com (or whatever) is what you would put in your links.
                  CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                  CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                  CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Thank you Tom. you have grasped what I was asking and verified what I had concluded. I shall now take the evening off and sort it in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
                      When creating your two subdomains in your Cpanel, the folders should have been created automatically (based on the names you supplied, of course). So if everything went correctly, you should now have a folder on the server something along the lines of of this: public_html/subdomainname. There would be no .org or anything. When you hit the Publish icon, you would publish your page to public_html/subdomainname. Then, when you wanted to see your page on the web, you would look for www.subdomainname.maindomainname.com (or whatever you have instead of .com). http://www.subdomainname.maindomainname.com (or whatever) is what you would put in your links.
                      Hi Tom, you might be able to throw some light on this for me.? I'm on the old style VH cpanels & for a new domain you publish to public_html/
                      & a new add on domain public_html/newdomain/
                      Now i believe with the new cpanels it is public_html/
                      & public_html/newdomain.com/ for an add on domain.
                      Is any of this added .com part applicable to sub domains in any way?

Confused?
                      Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi, Chris

I made a couple of subdomains a while ago. In cpanel, as you know, creating a subdomain will automatically make a folder in the original public_html folder: public_html/subdomainname. There will be no .extensions. Creating an add-on will create an extension, so the folder looks like public_html/addonname.com. In other words, it's just like you say and there is no extension associated with any subdomain folder. When you publish a page, you just indicate the appropriate folder as always, giving the full name with extension for an add-on.
                        CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                        CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                        CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Ah! Well done Tom, wasn't sure with not having seen the newer style c panel.
                          VH! (& no i am not opening a new account to find out) lol.
                          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks to both of you Tom and Chris
                            I can confirm that what Tom told me to do works with no problems.

I have published to public_html/subdomain1 and public_html/subdomain2 and access them by typing www.subdomain1.domain.org.uk or ww.subdomain2.domain.org.uk into my browser

I am now ready to begin building up for the public to access them. (thats why I aint yet ready to put the actual site names in )

David

Comment

Working...
                            X