Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shapes or jpeg images ?

does having alternate text on a shape help google to index a website
    i am wondering because someone told me that i shoyuldnt make the majority of my page an image or a jpg, the reason i had done that was so it didnt look strange when loading the page seeing all the elements come together, so is the alternate text to help with search engines like google ?
    or is it purely just for what will be displayed if the shape or image will not load on someones computer ?

in otherwords how much of a benefit is there to publishing a page full of shapes as there is to publishing a page with mainly a jpeg image with text over it ?, and i realise that google cant read the text within an image but i have not made my page like that only the shapes have been converted to images

thanks

Re: shapes or jpeg images ?

The problem with using ONE image is that you cant lengthen it or shorten it if the page demands it.. or widen it without distorting the image. A site LOOKS better when you have the freedom to alter it as needed. or alter sections of it as needed. Thats the MAIN benefit of using shapes etc. If you were using another builder youd be filling backgrounds with colors or images in tables or css divisions.. this is already DONE for you.

An alt tag purpose is to tell people what the image is if it doesnt load, or they are site impaired. For the purpose of the template.. it wont do you much good to ALT TAG your template shapes but you can.. but dont spam them with keywords that dont apply to it.

For other images, you can put keywords of what that image is and the relevance it has to your site. This WILL help site impaired, tell whats supposed to be there, and add content to your site.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: shapes or jpeg images ?

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
      The problem with using ONE image is that you cant lengthen it or shorten it if the page demands it.. or widen it without distorting the image. A site LOOKS better when you have the freedom to alter it as needed. or alter sections of it as needed. Thats the MAIN benefit of using shapes etc. If you were using another builder youd be filling backgrounds with colors or images in tables or css divisions.. this is already DONE for you.

An alt tag purpose is to tell people what the image is if it doesnt load, or they are site impaired. For the purpose of the template.. it wont do you much good to ALT TAG your template shapes but you can.. but dont spam them with keywords that dont apply to it.

For other images, you can put keywords of what that image is and the relevance it has to your site. This WILL help site impaired, tell whats supposed to be there, and add content to your site.

Karen
      thanks alot for that helpful answer, muchas gracias

Comment

Working...
      X