trouble publishing and clarification on naming pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble publishing and clarification on naming pages

Hi, I have created my index page, and started a sub page for my first website. I wanted to publish it to see if I'm on the right track before I go any farther. I receive a message that it has published successfully, but all I see when I go to www.haliburtonlakecottage.com, is a bunch of file names. Any idea what I might have done wrong. I only attempted one link from my index page to my second page through a glass bubble.

I'm also confused on the naming of pages. The tutorial says keep the name short (i.e. indexpage), but I read in the forum that it helps with search engine maximation if you include more detail (example given "flowers-for-weddings-bouguets, rather than "productpage") Would you advise against naming all pages of my website cottage-for-rent-pagename(i.e. indexpage). I have saved everything to the Blue Voda folder that it defaults to.

Thank you in advance,
    Shortee

Re: trouble publishing and clarification on naming pages

Hi, Change the name of index page cottage-for-rent to index only & save/republish the page. The index page is the 1st page that is looked for in any sites directory.
    Page naming is important for the SE's along with a good title name. This should also match up with any words that are within the text of the pages.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

OK first you have to name (save) your page as index nothing else, all lowercase, no extensions (html, bvp, php) and publish. Your other pages can be named (saved) as what ever makes the most sense (easy to understand and find later)and yes these should be short, you'll see why when you do your linking. Page naming is different from page titling, you title pages within the page properties (right click on a blank area of your page, click page properties and enter a title) this should be a description of the page (for the search engines). I know it is confussing t first but you'll get it.
      Reguards
      Ed
      www.dsondesigns.com
      www.marseillesyouthsports.com
      www.300hitter.com
      www.bigjk.net
      How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

Hi Ed and Chris,

Thanks to your feedback, my test pages are up. www.haliburtonlakecottage.com I have a lot of work to do, but it's a start. I'd appreciate a critique and any tips that I should consider at this early stage of development.

Cheers,
        Lesley

Comment

Hi, couple of things to look at.
          Any key words should be chosen carefully & also be within the text of the page.
          Tick the “Anti alias” box in properties for a smother looking BV logo maker.
          Title on index page needed. “Haliburton Lake, holiday vacation cottage rental” with no “-“ between the text.
          The header image is a little distorted, right click in BV & restore original size or crop it.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks a lot Chris, I will make those changes.

Cheers,
            Lesley

Comment

Working...
            X