Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Published successfully but not found in FTP manager

Hello!
    I have just experienced problem with publishing, probably first time since I joined BlueVoda. I have a website for about 2 years now and I did many changes within this time, and never have problem which occured now. So - I updated slightly one page on www.widl.org.uk It's 'send results' page. I wanted to publish it and it even says 'published successfully'. But when you visit the website and click on this page - the link appears to be broken (HTTP 404 - file not found). I didn't change the name of the page, and also checked if somehow it is not changed in the link address. I checked if it is in FTP manager and it is not there. I tried to publish the page about 5 times now but it still doesn't see it. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong?
    (I did choose the right IP and the right subfolder.)
    Thank you.

Vila

Re: Published successfully but not found in FTP manager

I can see it. It's named http://www.tatraview.com/widl/online.php. Notice the php extension. Your link must be changed from .html to .php.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Hello Tom!
      Thank you for a quick reply. Yes, I can see it when I clicked on the link you sent to me. But not only I know how it happened that it has php extension - I don't know how to make php extension. It means - I don't know how to undo it and make it back as html. I really have no idea what happened here. But if you could tell me - ho to go back to what should be - I would be extremely grateful.
      :)
      Vila

Comment

Hmm I tried to find the answer on my question. Is it in 'form properties'? If yes, I got it, but what I don't understand is - why it used to work and it doesn't work now? I have never changed the link extension and surely haven't called it as php when I created it simply because I didn't know about it.
        Vila

Comment

Hi, Vila.

Your page has a form on it. A form requires that the page be published with a .php extension (which allows the form to communicate with the outside world). BlueVoda automatically adds the .php, so everything works without any effort on your part. That does mean you have to be sure any link you create refers to .php, not .html. So, you do NOT want to change the page back to html. In fact, php is fine for any page--there's nothing magic about html.

Best wishes,

Tom

Comment

Vila, just so you know, this is a situation almost everyone seems to go through. The php thing is a hidden "gotcha!" that we all stumble over. Just remember any page that has a form on it will become a php page and any link that refers to it must have the php extension.

Comment

Thank you so much!
              So I guessed it after looking into this form. OK, no changing to html. But how did it work for the last months? It was online and people used it even if it's called .html in the link on the other pages.
              Vila

Comment

One of the sublime mysteries of life! :)

BTW, if you do have a version of the page with the same name and the html extension, this tends to confuse things. Use FTP Manager to delete the html version if you have one.

Comment

I don't have this page with html extension anymore. :)
                  Thank you millions for your help.

Yeah... Life is unexpected sometimes. I wouldn't mind to be surprised by winning the lottery for example :D

Have a nice day, Tom.
                  Vila

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for this post! this was happening to me too! I published a page, made a link to it, from the index, and then it wouldn't find it!

Then i read it changes the extension to PHP! so now i found it!

Thanks again for the post!

But i'm wondering why when i went to create link using the builder, it didn't automatically save the name with the correct extension PHP in the first place? would save people some frustration, if it did it automatically...

Comment

Working...
                    X