create a downloadable file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• create a downloadable file

I was just wondering how to make a downloadable file such as an mp3 for someone to download onto their computer.
    $T3V3

Re: create a downloadable file

Instructions here
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

thanx
      $T3V3

Comment

one more thing. I did what that thread said, but when I tested it out and clicked on the link all it did was open it with media player. the link of the download is this I would appreciate if someone could help
        $T3V3

Comment

Either via ftp or through your file manager edit (or create if it doesn't exist) the .htaccess file for the directory the mp3 is stored in and add this code

AddType application/octet-stream .mp3

It will force the file to download instead of open

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

for some reason the file shows up in ftp but I cannot edit it. and in the cpanel file manager the file does not show up.
            $T3V3

Comment

Will it let you download it to your computer through the ftp? If so you can just open it in notepad (it will most likely prompt you to choose what program to open it with), save and then upload back up.

Register/Login Script
              Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

ok I downloaded it to my computer opened the file .htaccess with notepad, and added exactly this AddType application/octet-stream .mp3 to the end of the text that was already in there. I then reloaded it to the server via ftp and the mp3 files are still just opening in a player as opposed to downloading.
                $T3V3

Comment

that did change the file type of all my mp3's in the file manager to application/octet-stream though, but they still open in a player when you click on the link
                  $T3V3

Comment

someone please help me with this problem I am having I cannot get to the point on my website that all someone has to do if they want to download an mp3 is click on a button and when they click on that, a little box will open up on their computer saying "what would you like to do? open or save this file", or even better if the person will just click on the button and it will automatically download the mp3 onto their computer. The method of making a link to the file works with other file formats just not mp3s I don't know why.
                    $T3V3

Comment

Working...
                    X