Trying to get form SUBMIT button to email back to the submitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get form SUBMIT button to email back to the submitter

(1) I have created some online courses and want my clients to be able to fill in their answers on worksheets (form) and then click submit to have their answers emailed to them automatically. - I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS.

(2) It would be very cool if the client could add a few more email addresses of mentors, etc. to be copied on the email if they choose. - I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    David
    VODAHOST DOMAIN: www.mylifetrainer.com

Re: Trying to get form SUBMIT button to email back to the submitter

The first can be accomplished using ABVFP.
    The second is to be absolutely avoided, as it could allow your form to be easily used by hackers to send spam mail.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hey Navaldesign - Many thanks for the reply in less that 24 hours! I get what you are saying about my #2 question but, well here goes, what is ABVFP that you mentioned was my solution for question #1? I'm ready to apply the fix right away...David

Comment

Look at Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor 2
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice and link. I'm going to give it a try! Blessings! David

Comment

Well, I sort of feel like I'm in a bit over my heard. I uploaded ABVFP successfully and did my best to try to comprehend how to modify 1 form that I will use on about 200+ pages (literally) on my web site. All I want to do is get the form to send the submitter the form contents back to their email address when they click SUBMIT. I have a field labeled "Required: Your email address" where they type in their email address and I want the form to send the data to that address.

Can't I just import this form from Blue Voda int the ABVFP utility and tell the the form to do that? If so, how?

Boy would I appreciate some help on this one! Thanks!! -- David Robertson

What would take someone familiar with ABVFP 5 minutes has so far taken me hours to try and figure out and I still haven't been able to do it.

An example of the form that I'm trying to edit is located at: http://www.mylifetrainer.com/mylifeapp.php

Comment

Well. did you actually read any of the instructions provided with the ABVFP?
              Seems like you have not, because your form has lots of problems.

1. The form action: you have set your form to use the Built in Form Processor. So this means that you are NOT using ABVFP to process your form
              2. The encoding type of your form is application/x-www-form-urlencoded whilst it should be multipart/form-data
              3. There is NO hidden field with the Formid number, necessary for ABVFP
              4. All your fields are un-named!

There is a full tutorial on ABVFP included in the zip, please read it.

However, ABVFP makes VERY strict controls to check where the submission is taking place from. This, for your own protection against spammers that would try to use your form for spamming. To do so, it checks the URL of the page where the form stands, so if you put the same form in different pages, you need to setup each one separately in the ABVFP control panel.

If you have 200+pages where you need the form on, this becomes serious, you need a well protected script, not any script.

Just my opinion.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Hey Navaldesign - Thanks much for your feedback. I appreciate you pointing out my obvious ommissions to the form. I followed the tutorial PDF enough to load ABVFP successfully and worked my way through it until it was over my head. I put it down and took another run at it later but still struggled.

Maybe I just need to do what your web site said and pay you $ to set up this form for me and show me how to span it across the pages. I have so many other tasks to do on my web site and with my limited time after working all day I may come out ahead just asking for some professional help like you offer. What do you think? David Robertson

Comment

Well, this is an option if you wish. But it is something that can't be discussed on the forum.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Hey Navaldesign - I read, read, and re-read your PDF tutorial and I think I'm closer than ever to getting the form to work as we discussed in previous posts. I studied your email to me and using the sample "contact us" form that you included in the ABVFP files I was able to figure most of it out.

My only problem now is that the SUBMIT and RESET buttons don't work. I did them separatedly and somehow they don't talk to the form.

Here's the URL of the revamped form applying everything I could glean out of your tutorial but obviously I missed something!

Thanks for your (patience) and help! - David Robertson

Comment

All (and i mean ALL) fields, as well as the subbmit and reset buttons, are OUTSIDE the form boundaries.

Stretch the form borders as required, then move (with the mouse) all fields and buttons just a couple of pixels, until you see the form border become bluish (which means that the element has become part of the form).

Save, Publish, Refresh your browser before testing.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Hey - I was very grateful for you replying to this thread. I went home at lunch today and did exactly as you instructed - expanding the form borders to include all the form fields plus the submit/reset buttons...saved, published, refreshed...nothing!

I filled in sample text and hit <submit> and the text remained and nothing happened. It didn't send me an email from the autoresponder from the Formid=4 I created in ABVFP. I double checked everything from your "contactus" sample in BV and everything matched.

So...I did a "save as" to another file name and tried to rebuild the form to specifications using only 2 fields - name [Name=RA] & Email (Email=Re plus validation is correct) and <submit> and it published it and it went to the DBTechnologies error page saying it was configured incorrectly! Aaarrgh!

What the heck am I doing wrong? (By now you probably think I'm an idiot!)

Thanks - David Robertson

Comment

Should be Name-RA and Email-Re Note: - instead of =

However, that should not be an issue (only validation wouldn't work.

Please provide a link to your form, and if you wish your ABVFP login details through my form.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks again, Navaldesign -

Link to form: http://www.mylifetrainer.com/mylifeapp.php

Formid - 2

Domain: http://www.mylifetrainer.com
                            Form URL: http://www.mylifetrainer.com/mylifeapp.php
                            Form name: mylifeapp
                            Max upload size: 200
                            Upload folder: http://www.mylifetrainer.com/ABVFP/uploads
                            Your email address: coachdrob@mylifetrainer.com
                            Your email subject: Your answers from your MyLife Application form
                            Your email header: Thank you for completing today's lesson. Great job!
                            Your email footer: Don't forget to forward the results of your MyLife Application form to your accountability partners - your "Paul," "Barnabas," and/or "Timothy."
                            Your Thankyou page URL http://www.mylifetrainer.com.com/ABV...kyou_page.html
                            Your Error page URL: http://www.mylifetrainer.com/ABVFP/errorpage.php

Autoresponder settings:

Do you want an autoresponder mail to be sent to visitor? YES
                            Include your email address as "Reply to" in the autoresponder: YES
                            Your autoresponder subject: Here's the answers your entered on your MyLife Application form
                            Your autoresponder from: MyLife Coaching
                            Your autoresponder header: Good job! Keep up the GREAT work!
                            Here is a copy of the info submitted:
                            Your autoresponder footer: MyLife Development Plan
                            Real. Powerful. Truth.

Do you want the info to be stored in a database table? NO
                            Create automatically database table? YES

NOTE: I cross-checked your field naming requirements to make sure they matched to the best of my ability.

Form action: http://www.mylifetrainer.com/ABVFP/dbts_abvfp.php
                            Method: POST
                            Encoding type: multipart/form-data
                            Hidden field - Formid - 2

Let me know if you need more info than this. Thanks again - very much! David Robertson
                            Last edited by drobertson777; 05-13-2009, 12:50 AM. Reason: One more thing...

Comment

Again, ALL your fields exept for the Name-RA field are OUTSIDE the form boundaries, including the submit button, so your form never actually submits.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X