mySQL what is that???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mySQL what is that???

I am sorry. I've read all postings and still don't understand anything about mySQL.
    Is it necessary to create a database to have a website running?

Re: mySQL what is that???

No, it is not necessary to create a Database unless you want a dynamic website where users can interact with the site (like in shopping carts, blogs, forums, member's areas etc). And, again, the above, in their simplest form, can be acheived without a real database, but using flat files to store the info / data. However, when things start getting serious with the above cases, then a Database driven script becomes necessary as flat files have lots of limitations.

SQL stands for Structured Query Language. Actually it is the programming language used to store data in the database and then manage it (edit, delete, view, query). MySQL is a particular SQL (there are many others).
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks. Where can I learn more about SQL, what it is for, etc?

Comment

Hi prtgm,

I use this site for a lot of learning

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

I hope this helps

Randall
        www.SflaMarineRepair.com
        Have a Great day!

Comment

I'm starting to try to learn how to set up and use databases for my web sites. I've watched the BV tutorials about creating databases, creating users, and linking users to whichever database we want them to be able to access. Following the instructions, I was able to do all three of these steps.

My question (probably very obvious, sorry) is, once I've created the database, user(s) of it, and linked them to it, what kind of interface would those users see on my site when they want to log in and extract, add, delete, or modify the data in the database? I'm sure this is all probably well explained somewhere, I just don't know where. Thanks.

Comment

Users created for the database don't see ANY interface. Creating a user (usernme and password) means only that IF you have a script that in some way accesses the database, then these username / password will allow the script to connect to the database.

The script itself is the one that should create the Interface (unless you want to use phpMyAdmin, which is a standard Database management Interface, freely available through your CPanel)

Usualy, to allow access to third people to your Database, the Database interface must be custom created for specific tables in your Database. And the users should also have their own Login details (independent from the database username / password) to allow them access to the Interface.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks, Naval, for explaining, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "these username / password will allow the script to connect to the database."

As a newbie to all this, I'd probably use phpMyAdmin as the database interface. Can you direct me to a site that uses it, so I can get a sense of the functionality it offers?

Also, what are the most common reasons for having a database in a web site? For example, if my site is selling products (either physical or electronic), or offers content available to members only, I assume the database would be there to allow the customer or member to log in, see/update their account info, review past purchases or downloads, or inquire about the status of a shipment. Am I on the right track here? Please advise, thanks.

Comment

phpMyAdmin is available to you through your Cpanel.

phpMyAdmin is NOT available to site visitors / users, only to the site owner that has the necessary login details to enter Cpanel.

The username and password that you created for the Database, are NOT directly used by you or your visitors. They are used by those programs / script that need to access your database.

Yes, you are right about the uses of a database: login / membership scripts, carts, booking systems, photo galleries, mailng systems, and almost whatever needs storage of information on the server.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                X