Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpRunner - help

Hi folks,

I have recently learnt about a product PhpRunner and was wondering if this product could be used to create a datbase interface on my BV website.

Additional to this if I create a webbased progam could it be executable through my website and is this allowed?
    Kind Regards
    Rob
    www.gnjgf.co.za
    www.oryan-projects.com

Re: phpRunner - help

This is a title that is more appropriate for an Enterprise solution, Rob, and not really intended for "webbies". Having a multi-User interface like this is useful on a corporate network, for example, when swapping active files and accessing resources is a logistical reality. It's real overkill for use as an add-on to a single website whose Users are not part of a pre-established "Team" .... despite the mention of protected areas.

Think of this "interface" as a server-based CMS foundation, if you will: it provides the same functions (protected areas included) of sharing/accessing files and documents, archiving, developing and formatting, yet it is on the company server and not part of a website (or is not a 'website' itself as a CMS foundation would be).

For the first time in a long while, I am at a loss of words to fully describe a concept I can clearly see and understand ...... this software is best used on a closed private network (like in a large company LAN) to regulate file sharing, and is basically the same thing a CMS foundation or the Login scripts from Navaldesign or Watdaflip does.

Maybe it would be better to fully describe how you intend to apply it, or what you are truly trying to accomplish that the other tools in your toolbox cannot satisfactorily do for you.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Rob (SA) View Post
      Hi folks,

I have recently learnt about a product PhpRunner and was wondering if this product could be used to create a datbase interface on my BV website.

Additional to this if I create a webbased progam could it be executable through my website and is this allowed?
      Yes Rob, it can be used. It is simple enough to learn.

It has a certain cost though, and to actually learn how to use the Visual Editor might be a bit difficult in the begining.
      Since you have no joints within your tables, you should be able to create your first interface in an hour or so.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the replies.

What was important to me was the fact that I can utilise it in conjunction with BV.

Previous discussions with George led me in th edirection of developing a proper datbase interface and it seems as if this software will assit me in this process. this is in no disrespect to George's skills an knowledge.

With my requirements changing and with my eventual need to run and actual program from another website I enquired the posibilities.

I am looking at developing a golf scoring program with a statistics section and therefor databases, from and tables are going to becomes quite important.

The database interface will have information that is coming from our current members and is being populated currently using memebrship forms and entry forms. Again George has been most helpful.

I have found peace in knowing that there are folk who know something about it and therefor would like to request assitance at a later stage to the succesful linking up of this syetme to BV -if at all possible.

Kind Regards
        Rob
        Kind Regards
        Rob
        www.gnjgf.co.za
        www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

Please understand this: phpRunner creates self standing application, and as such it is rather difficult to embedd them in the existing BV site.

It is intended more for creation of the Administrator Database interface where the actual look is less important.

To embed it in BV you can use an Iframe, BUT there are several issues to deal with.
          First, if this interface is to be protected, you will need to learn how to create Admin groups and User groups.

Then you will also need to learn how to allow correct permissions to each group.
          Then you must find your way in creating the statistics (which i can assure you is not easy)
          Last, but not least, phpRunner creates _top links, which might cause the user to go OUT of your BV page with the frame, and only see the interface. So you loose the look.

What i was intending is that you can create an Admin interface for your own use, since the look of these pages doesn't matter as you are the only one to see.

If you recall, when we discussed this (look at your emails) I had already mentioned that whilst the interface can be created using such software, the site pages that are for members have to be handcoded (if you want them to be in BV pages)
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply.

We are still talking the same language regarding the interface. That side of matters is good and the authorities regarding who sees what and how much is understood.

The look and feel can perhaps be adjusted slightly on my side.

My requirement was to add itmes to the menu's and I was a bit concerned that should I be changing my idea over time it would be more costly to utilise your skill over time -thus the purchase of such a program would perhaps serve me better. Comments / Input in this regard would be most welcome.

The ABVFP forms side of things I think will work well as the tables will be generated to my requirments and hopefully now the interafce is soon to be in place information with the help of scripts can be posted to the web.

There are lots of ideas as you are aware of and I am sure we will talk on these matters further.

Thanks again for your valued input

Regards
            Rob
            Kind Regards
            Rob
            www.gnjgf.co.za
            www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

Hi Rob,

It certainly is less costy for you if you need to create lots of these appplications, or if you need to modify them from time to time, as outsourcing a job means always a certain cost. With the exchange rates for your currency and the fees a programmer requires, it looks more than logical that if you can do it yourself, then this is the way to follow.

What i have always tried to explain, is that anyone's time, even your own, has a cost. If you do have time to spend on learning and creating your own applications, then this is the most logical thing to do. If, instead, your own time worths more than what you would pay someone (meaning that in the same time ou could do something more profitable) then outsourcing is more convenient.

As you understand, the criteria is different for each one of us, and you are the only one who can decide what is best for you.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Hi George,

Now that it is established that phpRunner can be utilised in creating a datbase interafce with BV maybe you could help with the following information.

There are certain fields that need to be populated and I post the images here to give you an idea as to what information they are looking for:

Any help here would be most welcome

Regards
                Rob
                Kind Regards
                Rob
                www.gnjgf.co.za
                www.oryan-projects.com

Comment

1. Leave alone the proxy settings.
                  Check the checkbox "Connect using PHP"
                  2. Click the "Upload phprunner.php"
                  The window (second of your images) for FTP settings will appear.
                  Fill in the details: in the Hostname field fill in yoursite.com (without http or www) Port 21 Username and password are the ones of your control panel
                  in the right field, "Upload pages to" click on Browse. It will connect to your site . Browse until you get to the folder of the site where you want the application. Click on New and create a subfolder (in example, name it "database"
                  It will create this new folder. Click on ok.

Do NOT check the checkbox "Use Firewall".

Now, in the first page, fill in the details of the database you have for ABVFP. Database name, user, password, leave Port empty.
                  Click on "Connect"

You are ready to go on
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I will try it an see if i can get it opperational

Regards
                    Rob
                    Kind Regards
                    Rob
                    www.gnjgf.co.za
                    www.oryan-projects.com

Comment