no index tags and robots files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no index tags and robots files

Can someone from this amazing BV community please explain to me a few things regarding no index tags and robots.txt file.

I have near 40 pages. When people search for my service (dog training) on google or other SE they might be getting a page like "links" or "prices" instead of the home page. In order fot their search result show my home page or the training page do I create a no index tag on unrelevent page like "links"? Will this affect my google listing? Will google still send it's robots through the no index page and do what it does and remember to just not recall those "no index" pages when people do a search? Do I need to create a robot.txt file for any reason? I don't have anything to hide from google or any other SE. I just don't want unrelevent page showing up on searches as they might confuse or just make the person searching ask themselves, why will I be going to this site when they read a description for the links page when they are searching for "big paw services".

I just did a search on google for "big paw services". My home page came up as well as the links page. The links page has no relevence when someone wants to know about my company.

Also, be honest, am I being too rediculous or is this something many sites are doing to make sure the home page comes up, and only the home page? Should I forget about the no index tags? Will using no index affect searches and make my site harder to find?

I realize those are a lot of questions but I cannot get these answers anywhere on the web. Even google webmaster help pages do not really explain the effects and the reasons why I would choose to no index certain pages. perhaps, by viewing my site you could tell me which pages I should use the no index tag

ps
    my site is currently under light construction - I changed the files from html to php to make life easier on me. i am still in the works as we speak. However, maybe by seeing the link menu you could see which which pages need a no index tag. Or perhaps just tell me which ones need to be indexed (this way I will know the others do not)

Thank you so much for taking the time!!!
    Mr. Big Paw
    Somewhere in the CO mountains
    Big Paw Services

Re: no index tags and robots files

Should I be adding no index tags to my 404 custom page, success page, and the php pages (header, side, and footer) I created so I can make changes in one page and have it apply to all the pages? the header and footer both have all the links for my site so I am not sure if I want to add a no index tag to them.

Thanks again;)
    Mr. Big Paw
    Somewhere in the CO mountains
    Big Paw Services

Comment

Re: no index tags and robots files

If your links are javascript SE's will not see the links. That takes care of a lot of issues.
      As far as I know, on your site, the only links visible to SE's will be the text links.
      Check your home page carefully. There are several punctuation errors.
      The image link for the copyright is broken.
      I would imagine that someone needing your services would query "dog sitting in denver" or something along those lines.
      Unless they know you specifically why would anyone search "Big Paw Services"?
      Unless you have encrypted your email link a spam bot will find the address and you will eventually receive thousands of unwanted emails.
      (been there, done that)
      CarbonTerry
      Semper Fi
      Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
      Zone 5 Photo
      My USMC

Comment

Working...
      X