X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Error checking? (I think)

Hi,

Problem: some clown is abusing the contact form on my website and sending me loads of nonsense messages.

Question: Is there a way I can customise the simple form I use (got it from the forum months ago) to, at least, make sure users put an email address in the email field etc.

I don't really know anything about forms and the only way I can explain what I mean is by using the term 'mask' as you would use in database design. Eg. you can only put numbers in a number field. I think (by reading old forum threads) that it's called error checking?

I hope someone can make sense of this and offer some assistance. I am willing to learn but don't really know where to start. Thank you.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: Help With Error checking? (I think)

Hi Amanda, yes, you can put error checking in your form, but this will not save you, as email error checking can only "see" ig the email field value looks like true, it can't really verify the email. If you wish we can put IP address monitoring in your script, and after he submits one or two more messages, we can bann he's IP address so he wont bother you any more
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

That would be fantastic, it sounds like the perfect solution. How do I do that then? I still have some of the emails in my delete box should thay prove useful. Thank you so much for your help it's greatly appreciated.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
        That would be fantastic, it sounds like the perfect solution. How do I do that then? I still have some of the emails in my delete box should thay prove useful. Thank you so much for your help it's greatly appreciated.
        Hi again, no, the old emails won't do anything. We need to install a new script for your form processing, have him (her) send emails, so as to find his / her IP address, then implement in the script his IP address and block him. I need the URL of your form in order to prepare the necessary script. Please upload
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi Amanda, the first thing to do is change your "FEEDBACK.PHP" with a new script that will capture his IP. Then ban him. Please contct me privately: http://www.navaldesign.info/feedback13.html. (Sorry, i edited your own post instead of replying.)
          Last edited by navaldesign; 03-05-2006, 04:15 PM.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Please read your own post above
            Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
              Please read your own post above
              Thank you G. Have complied and forwarded said script. Love your thank you page by the way - very slick.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi Amanda, you have mail. Also check your form as i have reproduced here: http://www.navaldesign.info/Amanda/contact.html The mail with the info you will submit will get to you. Try also nit typing the email or an email like value: you will get an error message. Check your mail and let me know
                Last edited by navaldesign; 03-05-2006, 05:55 PM.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Amanda, you have mail. Also check your form as i have reproduced here: http://www.navaldesign.info/Amanda/contact.html The mail with the info you will submit will get to you. Try also nit typing the email or an email like value: you will get an error message. Check your mail and let me know
                  Yes, it works sweetly. Thank you G. The extra bits you've added are great too. I have answered your email by the way :o) Took a while as I was absorbed in creativity - sorry :o)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi Amanda, you have mail. let me know. Thanks
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Amanda, you have mail. let me know. Thanks
                      Thank you G, I'll start now.... :o)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Good evening G, erm... don't know what I've done but am temporarily unable to get to my site! My browser reports that it cannot be found! :oO

The tests I have completed so far are working brilliantly but the Card Type is being left blank - I've followed your instructions and have checked spelling etc. I'll keep trying....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Good morning G,

I'm sort of stuck in limbo now until I can see my site. I'll let you know when it's sorted. Thanks :o)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

However, it's up and running. Make sure to refresh the browser
                            Navaldesign

Comment

However, it's up and running. Make sure to refresh the browser
                              I've reset my router and pc and it seems to have solved the problem. Hurrah.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X