Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very important - please help - obscene spam written in guestbook

Hello!

I hope you are all having a lovely day! I am writing this note in hope of some quick help. I have noticed for the first time a couple days ago and it continues to happen that obscene spam notes are being left on my guestbook on my website. I am so sad and it is very disgusting what type of spam is being left. I have never had this happen since I started my website last December 2008 and wanted to know if there awas a way to protect this - some type of monitoring or private protection or what to do. I do have Voda Host hostig and wanted to know if someone wold please be so kind to help me in any way possible. For now, I have been easring the yucky spam from the FTP Manager and refreshing the website but I need help on how to better protect it. I would be extrememly gratefulo for any help! Please, please, please!

Thank you so much in advance!

Warmest Wishes,
    Danielle

Re: Very important - please help - obscene spam written in guestbook

Also, here is the website address if needed to help.:o)

Comment

Hi Danielle,

It is very difficult to control spam in Guestbooks.
      They like to steal your visitors email addresses.

That is why a lot of us has done away with GuestBooks.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

THank you! But is there a way to monitor what people write and if there is a password to allow me to accept what is written or what is not. Or is there some type of security that can be put on the website on the Voda Host end?

THank you!

Danielle

Comment

There should be a area in admin that requires owner to except the post or deny it before it get on the site. There has been lots of complaints about this & maybe (Hopefully) BV will have it in the next update. I just purchased one with this facility already built in.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you so very much! I truly appreciate your reply! Is there any way you could be so kind as to tell me how to accept or deny waht is written as what you had stated in your reply. Are there some directions to this. I was unaware you could do this.:o)

Thank you again!

Warmest Regards,
            Danielle

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
              There should be a area in admin that requires owner to except the post or deny it before it get on the site. There has been lots of complaints about this & maybe (Hopefully) BV will have it in the next update. I just purchased one with this facility already built in.
              Could you tell us what you got and where to get it? I'm getting spam on my guest book too.
              HumBird
              www.Humnew.com

Comment

Someone maybe able to add a fix to the BV one? But this one is easy to use but its not free.
                Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hello Chris!

Thank you so much for your advice! I wanted to reply to you earlier. Is the post script worth buying online...does it really work and is it easy to use. Is there anything that's free. Also, is the post script something you can purchase once and use over again for other websites or can you only use it once. Aloo, do you have to update and pay eah year for it again and again?

Thank you again for your kindness and help!!! I truly appreciate it!

Warmest Wishes,
                  Danielle

Comment

Haven't seen any easy & free ones, but this was cheaper for me as i wanted some of the other scripts. I have used it as in this sample with the link at the top of the page as a pop up.. (I think they will install for free)
                    Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I am glad it's not only me who is getting this :( it is so furstrating!! also some can't be deleted as the DELETE word is too near the actual spam word.

I just found on guestbook properties in Avdanced misc - accept URL etc.... so if I take tick out it should then not let the URLs to show??? I am going to try now and have takenall tick out in misc... so let's see what happens.
                      Hugs, Tiina
                      Piccolissimo Baby Boutique - Specializes in Premature clothes

Comment

can't delete guestbook

I haven't had time to install new guest book per your suggestions but in the interim decided to just delete the VH guest book so my email would stop filling up with "someone signed you guest book" I deleted it from the page but I'm still getting the email message. How do I get rid of this thing?
                        Last edited by HumBird; 08-26-2009, 01:52 AM. Reason: new title
                        HumBird
                        www.Humnew.com

Comment

I have started to get a lot of spam in my guestbook too.
                          Form reading the posts, an way to alow the admin of the site to control the information is allowed or not would be much better that actually removing the guest book.

sesh

www.naturistalgarve.com

Comment

Originally posted by tiina5704 View Post
                            I am glad it's not only me who is getting this :( it is so furstrating!! also some can't be deleted as the DELETE word is too near the actual spam word.

I just found on guestbook properties in Avdanced misc - accept URL etc.... so if I take tick out it should then not let the URLs to show??? I am going to try now and have takenall tick out in misc... so let's see what happens.
                            I have taken your idea and removed captch, url's and bbcodes, let see what happens
                            ta
                            Sesh

www.naturistalgarve.com

Comment

Hi Jon,
                              checked your site out of curiosity & found the following which I hope you take in good spirit :)

Home: Please click the link below to go to the
                              questionnaire ?
                              There is no link "below" but in your 'Web Site
                              Information Pages' - could confuse some people??

Pictures of the project: This is the property which we have purchased
                              and are converting into a naturist resort.
                              There is (major) a lot of major rebuilding work...
                              ...will be the dining area...
                              Out & About:
                              Tavira.............they have many open-air festivals...the
                              town's main square.
                              ...Albufeira, which are renowed...
                              Re your Guest book problem: it seems to be the general opinion of our "Generals" + many others that a guest book just creates more problems than it's worth & therefore they do not incorporate one in their sites. (Me too!)
                              I believe there are ways to prevent the spam/obscene content but it's quite complicated.
                              Anyway, good luck,
                              david
                              Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Working...
                              X