PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files from another website?

Frogkase
07-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Guys,

I apologise if this is a silly question but I am very simple when it comes to techy things.

I have started working with a friend on a project and he lives in a different country and has already created a website in dreamweaver. He wants my help in editing it and therefore has given me his host directory, login, and password.

My question is how to I access his html etc and load it onto my dreamweaver site? I am then going to load it onto bluevoda but I first want to load it onto my dreamweaver.

Has he given me enough information to do this?

Could someone please give me a step by step guide as to how to do this?

Thank you very much for your time,

Matt

Karen Mac
07-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Ummm.. you would simply access the files and download them via ftp.. however..

Dreamweaver and blue voda are NOT compatible and you will NOT simply be able to edit the pages with bv and then back to dreamweaver... and vice versa.

Karen

Frogkase
07-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your quick reply Karen.

If you thought that was a stupid question, then you are going to love this one...

How do I access the files?

Again, I am a complete newbie to anything outside Bluevoda :)

Thanks for your time again :)

Matt

Collectors-info
07-07-2009, 05:31 AM
Can he not just email them to you?

Karen Mac
07-07-2009, 05:36 AM
You would access them in the same manner as you login to your cpanel, file manager, Public_html...however it would be faster to access and download them via ftp.

Karen

Frogkase
07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks a lot for those quick replies.

Chris, I didn't think of that, I will ask him thanks!

Ok, the questions get even better...

And no you are not on candid camera, I really am that dumb..

Karen, when you say it would be faster to access and download them via ftp... what would the steps be for that?

Sorry again, but I am obviously missing something.

Thanks a bunch for sticking with me,

Matt

zuriatman
07-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Another way of doing it is to ask him to zip the dreamweaver file and upload to a folder in public_html.

Then provide you the link url to the file so you can just download it to your pc.