PDA

View Full Version : Publishing problems

frank rogers
07-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Finally started publishing website yesterday, published all pages, said it was published successfully each page, the index page had lost 2 of the pictures when published, deleted page and re-inserted pictures, every thing o.k. with index. (off center a little) None of the other pages published, deleted all and have been checking for problem every since, read on forum about tools, verify links, checked this, showed no url, added .html to each line, all verified except the ones with _ inserted in between words, tried to re-publish, shows it published but does not show up on screen. www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com (http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com) could someone please check and see if you can fine problem, Thanks

wysiwyg4
07-28-2009, 05:22 PM
If you have published the pages with extension html,

then all menu items must link to their respective pages
with extension html.

For example,
about_us should be about_us.html
pre-planning should be pre-planning.html
obituaries should be obituaries.html

and make link to Home http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com/index.html

and so on...

travlinman
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
you do not have 2 delete before u republish. make sure u publish all 2 the same directory. use FTP Manager to verify your files have published to correct location.

make sure that your links include the .html or .php extension depending on how you have selected 2 publish ur files in the page properties.

Marincky
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
and make link to Home http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com/index.html

and so on...

No!... make link to home page http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com

travlinman
07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
No!... make link to home page http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com

?
Huh? Why is this Marinky? Why should the name of the index file not be included?

frank rogers
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Everything is just as you laid out above, except I have it linked to "mywebsite/index.html", do I have to republish my index page with link like "mywebsite.com"? Some of my links say "url not found" and some say "validated url", all look good to me, still cannot republish rest of pages, says it is published but does not show up on screen, any other ideas. thanks

Marincky
07-28-2009, 06:27 PM
There is no need to point to a home page. It is automatically done by just typing your domain name, hence why it is important to name it exactly as we are instructed to as 'index'.

If you have already done it, it's no biggie, leave it as it is.

travlinman
07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Your links are incomplete! Read what they say not what you think they should say.

I can see your "pre-planning" & "obituaries" page, but that is because I have manually typed in the complete link. They are missing the .html extension.
The rest do not work. So it is 99% guaranteed that they r not published or have a different name.

Remember: Guest book includes a form so u have 2 publish it as .php and contact us as well if it contains a form.

wysiwyg4
07-28-2009, 08:03 PM
If you want to have an image, or a piece of text, or a menu,
or the header, address etc. at the same place
and position on all pages, there is a forum entry that has
the description of how to do it.

I don't remember the link to that description. So here it
is in my words:

New website
Make index file. Test for all the goodies.
If satisfied, save it and keep saving it
as a different file.

For existing website
If all pages don't sit at the same position or links are
incorrect, or the page and the items move from page to page,
do the following:

1. Open all your pages in BV, the ones that have the items
you think should look exactly like on the index file.
1a. Delete all the items in question from all pages except the index file.
2. Have all the items - header, menus, text, etc. -
nicely laid out on the index page.
2. Watch out for links, positioning, and everything else.
3. Test the index file. Test all items - links, menu, see
if the header, the address are sitting properly.
4. Once you are satisfied with it, lock an item and select it.
5. At the top menu, click on Copy.
6. Go to all pages that you have opened for the purpose,
and click on Paste at the top menu one page at a time.
6a. Watch it. It will sit exactly on the same spot as on index file
7. Pick the next item and repeat from step 4.
8. Leave them locked. They won't move.

This way all your header, address, menu, links and everything
else would be in exactly the same position on their respective
pages as in index file. The links on the menu would be the same as well.

Subsequent changes
If you make a change in any of the item on the index file,
just repeat the whole process.

I have used this and makes everything a lot easier.

So in your case, fix up the index file including the header, the address,
the menu and everything else and start doing the above. Believe me it
would fly like an F-22.

Your address and phone number
If you want, you could change the format.

In the U.S. and a whole lot of other countries, the format is:
Street address
town, State, zip code.

USPS recommends that. That's what we are used to.

Across this address, you can have
phone number
fax number

Don't use CTRL-X and CTRL-V
Use the two icons for Copy and Paste above on the menu bar.

frank rogers
07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
This is where I am at the present time, every page shows being published, I can pull up item, pre-planning & if I go from the home button I can get obituaries to come up too. the ones with _ in between them shows no url and 404 error. I have checked everything that I can think of (which is not much) and I cant find what would be causing this. Thanks so much for the continued help.

travlinman
07-28-2009, 08:51 PM
NO. You are not reading what I said or you did not watch the videos.

Read my post above again!

HINT: if you publish a page as php, you also have to name it as .php (filename.php)

As for your about_us page, since the link says about_us.html, make sure you published it as .html.....if so, use FTP Manager to make sure it published as that.
Also read Marinky's post #4 to fix "home" link.

wysiwyg4
07-28-2009, 08:54 PM
It's a menu driven website,
so avoid going to the new window.

Just remove _blank from the target.
Leave that field empty.

If you have links pointing to external pages,
then you have a choice to open in the same window
or a new window.

nytimes.com, for example, quite often opens in a new window.

For a simple website like the majority of us, once you set up
one page for html, then be consistent with that. If you can avoid
it - and I am sure you can, don't publish another page as php.

Be consistent.

You would have less chances for error. A lot less.

Follow the process I mentioned above. Once you get the hang of it,
believe me it will fly. In that case, the process itself would make you
consistent even if you tried not to be.

And don't rush. Once you are done, even we at this forum
would forget about it let alone the rest of the world.
So sit down and do it step by step. Take one item at a time and test it. Then another.

frank rogers
07-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Sorry guys, if I have anything wrong with the way this is set up I can not see it, I have the same situation as listed in my last post, I have re-read everything you have written and looked at every tutitorial you have, and went over every thing that I have set up to link these pages, I do not know enough about building websites to guess what might be wrong, tried everything that I know, thanks

wysiwyg4
07-29-2009, 02:49 AM
1. Index page, when you click Home, new window opens. In a menu driven website, try to avoid that.
2. pre_planning page, obituaries and contact have no extension.
3. Read about guest book thoroughly. No skipping.
4. I just checked something else just for the heck of it.
For About Us, I removed the underscore from about_us.html and
inserted a space so it became about us.html. And there it was.
O Man, What the heck. huh?

Fix these and everyone here would be glad to help further.

On a smaller, traditional and historical note, like I said before

We are used to seeing address written as
205 Bay Street
Hattiesburg, MS 39401

But that's the choice of USPS - no big thing. It's only a government agency.

Phone and fax numbers can go across where town, state zip are right now.
Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx

frank rogers
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
This was exactly what I needed to find out what I was doing wrong, It is confussing when blue voda tells you to add "index.html" and make sure you put_ between words so as not to leave spaces when all the time these were what was causing my problems. I have looked and read about guest book but will address that later. right now I need to know how I can get rid of the extra "home"window that opens when I click on home page? I think I have corrected all of the other problems, THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU DO KNOW YOU STUFF. If you see anything else please let me know.

wysiwyg4
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
That's a link like any other.

I don't know how you have set up your menu but in general:

When the window for setting up your hyperlink shows up,
there is a field on the window called Target. It has four options
_blank, _self, _parent, and _top. Just leave that field empty -
remove the _blank from it. Nothing in it, zilch, nada.

That will do it.

travlinman
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi frank,

I do not think that the underscore ("_") was ur problem; I have more than eleven pages with the same and they all work.

As for ur home page, as wysiwyg said in the menu properties of ur "home" link, delete the "_blank" in Target...this way it opens in the same window instead of opening a new "blank" window.

Ur guestbook page is still incorrect. Guestbook is a form and will not process if it is published as html. U need to publish it as php & change the link to be called ..../guest_book.php (All pages with a form always need 2 be published as php)

Check out this tip (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/bluevoda-tips-tricks-shortcuts/15764-single-menu-page-bv-php.html) from Naval to help you with the menu. This will make future changes easier.

frank rogers
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
You guys don't know how much I appreciate your help this past week, I still have things to learn, not stupid, just ignorant when it comes to computers, but you stepped up and helped me do something I never thought I would be able to do. I know I will ask many more dumb questions before it is over, but I have had a great time working on this website. Thanks again, Frank

wysiwyg4
07-31-2009, 02:11 AM
Ay Frank,

When you download your index page, keep clicking Home
10, 20 times, see what you get.

You would be creating multiple instances of the same page.

I don't think you would want that.

frank rogers
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
You are exactly right "I do not want that" I have been hunting for the last 2 days trying to find a "target" window that has something (_blank) in it. I have not found a thing out of order, (NO _blank in target window) I am also trying to fix "about us" when I click from "home" to "about us" it opens in a window instead of sweeping left like it is set up, if I come from the right side clicking buttons it sweeps, but from the left side it opens in little window. I sure hope you can help with this, thanks.
Frank

Karen Mac
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
On the home page navigation you still have it as target = blank or _blank

All the other nav bars have been fixed.

Karen

frank rogers
07-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Have been over this thing 20 times, have not found what ya'll are telling me is their,(_blank in target) now my guest book has disappeared keep going over and over it, cannot find a problem, please check and tell me if you see anything, my eyes are starting to cross. Thanks, Frank

frank rogers
08-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Here is the link, forgot to put on last post, www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com (http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com) Thanks, Frank

Karen Mac
08-01-2009, 02:39 PM
open your index page in bv. on the nav bar or your menu right click properties. On the home page hilite it then click edit on the right.. check your link there its still going to target _blank.

Karen

frank rogers
08-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Karen, this is the same steps I have been following all week to correct "home" page reproduction, followed yours exactly and as usual their is no "_blank" in the target line, do you see this _blank on my set up? is their any other way this could be happening? I hate to be a bother but it is just not here on my computer. thanks, Frank

Karen Mac
08-01-2009, 09:29 PM
It seems youve corrected it now. Its not opening a new page and the _blank is no longer in source code

Karen

frank rogers
08-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Great, at least I got one thing corrected today even if I did not do anything, one more problem, could you please look at my guest book page, I have tried this thing with every variation I know (no space, _between, and nothing between) and the last one worked, but as you can see the page is hugh, tried all things to fix but to no avail. thanks, Frank

frank rogers
08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Left note above a couple of days ago, would love for someone to look at guest book and tell me what is the problem, as stated above I have tried all that I know, thanks, Frank www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com (http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com)

travlinman
08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
what problem r u having with the guestbook - could not find the post above?

frank rogers
08-04-2009, 12:31 AM
This is what I posted, #27 (Great, at least I got one thing corrected today even if I did not do anything, one more problem, could you please look at my guest book page, I have tried this thing with every variation I know (no space, _between, and nothing between) and the last one worked, but as you can see the page is hugh, tried all things to fix but to no avail. thanks, Frank ) Thanks for looking, Frank

wysiwyg4
08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
You mean if you click the book, you can't pull its ears back and forth
to make it smaller or larger? up, down, sideways, corners?

Other than I don't know the problem and the solution.

It's not locked, is it?

ahimsa
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi Frank,
re your Guest Book: I find nothing wrong with the page itself...only thing is there's no link back to anywhere?
Also,
Index: the "Welcome" is just a little too big - it could go a mm upwards
About Us: Funeral Home has developed
....work with people that they have grown up with. (no need for
'that')
Because Hulett-Winstead Funeral Home has been such a
respected business in Hattiesburg for 100 years, the
employees of Hulett-Winstead know the people in town and
really focus on serving them to the best of their abilities.
Pre-planning: Together we can adapt plans to meet your changing needs or desires.
Obituaries: There is an underscore above the first name

Almost there, I would say :),
david

frank rogers
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, think I have fixed most of grammer problems, about the guest page, it is not locked yet, the quest book was set up on a HWFH templet like all of my pages, NOW I have a full page width at top of blank page with guest book covering about 4" x 8" section of page, under the guest book confirmation code their is "08/01/2009 19:01:16 testing - Karen" typed in bold letters, after I changed to _blank.php everything worked fine, then everything went away and this showed up, have no idea what to re-do, my bv page looks good, have re-published but no effect. thanks, Frank

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I posted this reply and question yesterday, really need someone to look and tell me what the problem is. Thanks for the reply, think I have fixed most of grammer problems, about the guest page, it is not locked yet, the quest book was set up on a HWFH templet like all of my pages, NOW I have a full page width at top of blank page with guest book covering about 4" x 8" section of page, under the guest book confirmation code their is "08/01/2009 19:01:16 testing - Karen" typed in bold letters, after I changed to _blank.php everything worked fine, then everything went away and this showed up, had to change to guestbook.php to get published right after everything went away, have no idea what to re-do, my bv page looks good, have re-published but no effect. thanks, Frank

wysiwyg4
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I looked in your source file.

Guest Book has css integrated with it.

It has the following along with other things:

.banner
{
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 19px;
background-color: #ABCAF6;
color: #0F448E;
font-weight: bold;
}
.message
{
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 13px;
background-color: #E0EBFB;
color: #125EC6;
}
And at the end of the guest book,

<div class="banner">08/01/2009 19:01:16 testing - Karen</div>
<div class="message">testing</div>

Don't take my word for it, but it seems to me it was added for
testing because that's what the message says.

You can pursue it from here.

Maybe a general, who can modify it, will be able to help you.

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am going to end this post and start a new one, see if I can get me a general to look at. Thanks, Frank