Duplicate URL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate URL

Is any one else experiencing this problem?
    I get the following error message (I have only listed the top 3 out of many...
    Duplicate URL
    This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: http://www.sexual-health4men.com/
    Problem detected on: Jul 30, 2009
    - Duplicate URL
    This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: http://www.sexual-health4men.com/
    - Duplicate URL
    I went into google support and it seems I am not alone but this is not my area of expertise and I wonder if any BV folk can shed any light on this problem?

Thanks in advance

The Female Zone

Re: Duplicate URL

what are you using to generate the sitemap? ive never gotten that error.

Are you also linking without the www.? If so do a htacess resolve 301 redirect to the preferred url.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Karen. I am generating the sitemap in BV tools and I am using www. Perhaps it is a glitch in Google? Everything was fine till a few days ago and I have done nothing different that I am aware of. I checked my site map files and there are no dupes. I resubmitted but I am still getting the same error. This is a mystery.
      The Female Zone

Comment

Then you will have to contact google. Afraid i cant justify or explain their actions or answer for them.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

thanks Karen, have done
          The Female Zone

Comment

I had the same problem yesterday with both my email error & success page being duplicated in the BV site map. Then Google picks up on it & gave me the red cross. All i did was go to my site map xml file on the server & found the duplicates & removed them from the file & saved, then resubmitted the site map at Google. All was ok with Google within a few minutes of resubmitting the site map.
            I haven't tried doing another page as yet & publishing to see if i get the same problem. But it is a fault with BV as its created on the xml file that gets uploaded to the server.
            Seems funny that my problem was also with only 2 files, the same as yours.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Interesting Chris. I am not using BV11 so hopefully that counts that possibilty out. I searched 'duplicate URL' and came across dozens of posts from people who have been experiencing the same problem in the last few weeks and they are really pi****ed off with google for not responding. I will try what you said about the xml file on the server and see if I can make any sense of it. I am relatively new and find it difficult to navigate my way thru these sort of issues but I will let u know if I have any success. Incedently, I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my troubles started at around the same time that I bookmarked sections of one particular page in my site from my home page. Interestingly, it is both my home page and the other that I have bookmarked too that are coming up with the red cross. Hmmm.
              Cheers
              The Female Zone

Comment

Chris, here is the result of my searching about Duplicate URL's. It seems that the bookmarking created the problem. I posed the following Q and got a good answer
                Q. I am suffering from the same Dupe URL problem. can anyone advise? My site is http://www.sexual-health4men.com

A. glendene - your sitemap contains the homepage url repeated numerous times. A # character represents a page anchor, adding

that to a url does not change the url in any way. The real url ends just before the # sign. So yes, you do have many duplicates

of the homepage url in fact. Get rid of all of thsoe that have the # sign.

You edit your sitemap file in a plain text editor like Notepad and remove the duplicated entries. How did you crate your sitemap

in the first place? If you used a program then it needs to be fixed so it won't include urls with page anchors any more.
                The Female Zone

Comment

Sounds the same as what i did. The only problem is the site map gets sent to the server before you can check the thing with BV & the software i use.
                  Now i don't mind changing it at the sever end in th xml file. But it will become a pain when the site gets larger.
                  Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Yes. It was the 'bookmarks' that I included that caused my problems. Just spent the last few hours deleting them and re-publishing. If I am right, it's OK to have bookmarks leading to sections WITH-IN a page, but when you create bookmarks from one page to another it creates a duplicate file ie: In my case... http:www.sexual-health4men.com/ and http:www.sexual-health4men.com/#link (a dupe of my home page). It's been very frustrating but I have re-submitted to Google and will check again in the morning.
                    The Female Zone

Comment

I had the same problem. I used a free online sitemap generator and it created both .../ and ../index.html for my homepage, my blog, and my tools. I just deleted the ..index.htmls from the sitemap once generated.

Comment

Working...
                      X