PDA

View Full Version : Need a general or above to look

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I am having trouble with my guest book on my fresh published website, was told that a general was the only one to be able to modify, it shows it is being tested????????? could someone please look at this and see if it can be fixed, this has been like this since 9/1/09 Thanks www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com (http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com)

Collectors-info
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi, what seems to be the problem? seems to work ok. You can delete Me.

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
the quest book was set up on a Hulett-Winstead Funeral Home templet like all of my pages, NOW I have a full page width at top of blank page with guest book covering about 4" x 8" section of page, under the guest book confirmation code their is "08/01/2009 19:01:16 testing - Karen" typed in bold letters, have no idea what to re-do, my bv page looks good, have re-published but no effect. thanks, Frank

Collectors-info
08-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Try changing the name of your page that looks like the rest of your site & with the guest book on, to something like gb1 & re-publishing. I have got a feeling something is getting overwritten.

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Changed to gb1, re-published, nothing changed.

UK-RUFFNECK
08-05-2009, 08:39 PM
works !! but i tryed twice !

if i fill in all information it will post the message !
if i dont fill in all fields it will NOT POST

maybee its down to people not filling in all fields ! not everybody does this or wants to do this !

i sure dont want to fill all out usually !

maybee simplify it take out some fields so people dont have to fill in so much or write a little note that posts will only be uploaded if all fields are filled out (but as said not everyone wants to do this !!

greetz UK

www.e-promenade.de (http://www.e-promenade.de/) www.loewendomizil.com (http://www.loewendomizil.com/)

wysiwyg4
08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I was the one to find and make the suggestion.

I looked in your source file.

Guest Book has css integrated with it.

It has the following along with other things:

.banner
{
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 19px;
background-color: #ABCAF6;
color: #0F448E;
font-weight: bold;
}
.message
{
font-family: Arial;
font-size: 13px;
background-color: #E0EBFB;
color: #125EC6;
}
And at the end of the guest book,

<div class="banner">08/01/2009 19:01:16 testing - Karen</div>
<div class="message">testing</div>

Don't take my word for it, but it seems to me it was added for
testing because that's what the message says.

You can pursue it from here.

Maybe a general, who can modify it, will be able to help you.

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Is their any way that I can go in and delete this guest book on website and then re-publish the one I have in bv?

Karen Mac
08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
the quest book was set up on a Hulett-Winstead Funeral Home templet like all of my pages, NOW I have a full page width at top of blank page with guest book covering about 4" x 8" section of page, under the guest book confirmation code their is "08/01/2009 19:01:16 testing - Karen" typed in bold letters, have no idea what to re-do, my bv page looks good, have re-published but no effect. thanks, Frank

It says "testing" because i went to your site and TESTED IT .. and thats what I wrote in there to let you know that it was working...LOL

If you got that message.. then ITS WORKING.

As far as the look of it.. where did you get the guest book from? You could EMBED IT in an inline frame if you cant seem to edit the page its on..

Theres not enough details to be sure.. and thats why you shouldnt start SECOND threads on the same subject because no one knows what the hell you are talking about now or what youve been told and why.

Karen

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Karen, I started the second thread because I was told I needed someone higher up to look at this, If you look at my website you would see that all of my web pages are the same templet, the one that contained the guest book was the same as the others until it went crazy. The guest book came from bv tools. Their is a lot I dont know about building websites, that is why I am here asking questions,I did not know that you had checked the page, only that it was screwed up, If you had dropped me a note and said that this was what you had done it would have explained to me what was happening, it took me 2 days to get the first answer about the guest book after I posted on 8/1/09, sorry you feel the way you do but I still would like to get this done. Thanks for your input.

Karen Mac
08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I already explained how to BUMP posts. Just add again to the thread that wasnt answered. DONT MAKE SECOND ONES.

I assumed.. that when you saw KAREN and TESTING that you would KNOW that i had tested your guestbook. I dont have time to drop notes. I have enough to do KEEPING YOUR THREADS TOGETHER. SO DONT DO IT AGAIN.

Karen

UK-RUFFNECK
08-05-2009, 11:06 PM
ok frank but what exactly is ur problem that u need fixed ?? because ur guestbook is obviosly working.... i posted u too !

but as i said if all fields are filled out it will post !!

if they r not all filled out it wont post !!!

but it works !!!

so what is screwed up ??

dont quite get it ??

greetz UK

www.e-promenade.de (http://www.e-promenade.de) www.loewendomizil.com (http://www.loewendomizil.com)

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 11:22 PM
UK--evidently everyone is not seeing what I am, when you look at my guest book what do you see? Is it on a templet with Hulett-Winstead Funeral Home on top of page? or is it just setting at the top of the page on on a blank page? www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com (http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com)

UK-RUFFNECK
08-05-2009, 11:47 PM
oh ok now i get it !1!

ok sorry about this i kind of over read the important stuff !!!

thought the issue as just wether it works or not !!

right then.......what i see is....

a blank page without the Hulett-Winstead Funeral Home on top of page !

ok my suggestion to solve this is.......

1. make a new page which only contains ur guestbook ! nohing else !
2. use the template to create the page which later will contain the guestbook !
3. insert an inlineframe to the template page !
4. choose no scrollbars if not needed and choose no border if not needed
5. right click on the inline frame and then clickon HTML
6. in the HTML choose inside body tag
7. insert this
allowtransparency="true" background-color="transparent"
8. link the inlineframe to the gustbook page DONT FORGET THE HTTP:// before the www.
9. only link ur menuebar to the template page with the inlineframe on it NOT to the guestbook page ! as this will apear in the inlineframe as a seperate page on top of ur template page !!
10. upload all pages with the correct URL

heres an example of an inlineframe www.e-promenade.de/mainpage/mainpage.php when ur on it just use the navigation and ull see the other page pop over it ! all my pages are done like this ! saves work especially when u have to change he menue because u only have to do it 1nce !!

hope this solves it 4 u !!
its quite straight forward once u know how !

by the way this description is only for the case that u dont include any links on the actual guestbook page (not the template page they should be fine) for them to work the way u want u would ave to specify more settings !

greetz UK

www.e-promenade.de (http://www.e-promenade.de) www.loewendomizil.com (http://www.loewendomizil.com)

frank rogers
08-05-2009, 11:56 PM
UK---Thanks for answering, one more question, I have the quest book all ready set up in bv, everything is in place, could I somehow delete the one on website and re-publish the one from bv?

UK-RUFFNECK
08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
sure usually poeple tell u that u dont have to do that ! but i myself am 1 of those that does it anyway ! dunno y.... just to make sure everything is realy fresh i suppose ! its just a little tick i have ! ;)

BUT exactly for this reason i always publish all my pages to their own folders !!!!!
that way its way way eaysier to delete something that u dont need anymore without having to go through the mess that u created when uploading everything to just the public_html folder itsself !

naming these pages is simple and linking them is too if u need help on that just ask !!

by the way before i tell u anything that messes sumthing up !!

1. you did say that u created the guestbook with blue voda right ??
2. and that u uploaded it just like any other page right ?

because if its just about the deleting and uploading it fresh then i say yes delete it !

if ts about configuring it then id stay reserved about that 1 because i havent actually used guest book from blue voda yet because i used a webservice for this before i realised that blue voda offers it too !
since my account with the provider hasent run out yet i dident bother getting into blue voda guestbook yet !

greetz UK

www.e-promenade.de (http://www.e-promenade.de/) www.loewendomizil.com (http://www.loewendomizil.com/)

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 12:47 AM
UK---Yes, guest book is from with blue voda, and it was loaded just like the rest of my website, the only difference is that I can make corrections or additions on my other pages in bv and re-publish to web and it corrects, on the guest book I have tried to re-publish over the mess on the web but it will not correct it, Thank you so much for your help, have had my fill of this website for today, will try to get straight later, hope you make general one day, you deserve it. Thanks again, talk to you later, Frank

UK-RUFFNECK
08-06-2009, 01:27 AM
ok guess ur starting the guestbook over from scratch !
but there should be a way of adding some kind of admin page to ur guestbook so that u can make changes such as deleting posts etc. i have read something about a similar topic a long time ago and im not sure where to find it !

ill look into that when i have the time !

and thx 4 the general :))))) ;)

greetz UK

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Ok, let me explain. Your issue is (most probably) that you are using the same name for the BV page AND for the gustbook core script. So when the second is (automatically) uploaded (you don't control this, BV does it automatically) it overwrites your page.

Solution:

Double click the guestbook object in BV. The properties dialog box appears.
Go in Advanced, and in the PHP script name field type guestbook1.php

Now Save your page as guestbook so the page and the script will not have the same name.

Publish, and check it refreshing (hit F5 sometimes) your browser .

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 05:15 PM
O.K. I am ready to start again, UK----their is a admin. page in the bv guest book set up. (under guest book videos) will try to set that up when I get this fixed. Navaldesign, I have tried your suggestion 4 times and it doe's not change anything, it does sound very logical that this would work, but it will not, I would appreciate any other ideas, Thanks, Frank

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Please hold:

http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com/guestbook1.php now exists.

Please save the BV page as "myguestbook" and leave the script name as "guestbook1.php"

Save and publish please

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Tried 2 times and still no results, Frank

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Did you save / publish the page as "myguestbook" ? Cause i don't find this page onyour site. Are you sure you are publishing to the right folder ?

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I did publish as "myguestbook" it shows up on bv set-up as "myguestbook" but on the web it is still "Guest Book" I published the same way I have been publishing, do not know any other way to do it. thanks, Frank

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
There is no "myguestbook.php" page on your site, so either Publishing fails, OR you are accidentally publishing to some other folder or site. There is no other explanation if you haven't removed the page from the server manually.

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
When I go to the guest book on the web I see a just a large guest book to fill out, if I right click on it and click on properties it gives me "my website/guestbook.php" their is also all of the notes that Karen, uk, left on the site, I don't think this should be visible, am I wrong? I also changed a few things on my other bv pages and re-published everything on those pages worked, it was published to website. If I have removed anything I don't know it, not intentionally anyway. thanks, frank

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 07:26 PM
unless you decide to follow my instructions, there is nothing i can do.

As i said, there is NO "myguestbook.php" page on your site. This means that you have not published it, for some reason, OR you have published it in the wrong location.

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 07:48 PM
My friend, I am trying my best to do everything that you have asked me to do, I have put "myguestbook.php" in every hole that I can, if it still not working I do not know what I am doing wrong, I put it in "verify Links" it says "no url found" I am not a computer expert, so I am not trying to agitate you I am just trying to find out the problem, tell me what specific pages I need to plug it into and I will do it. this agrivates me a lot more than it does you, believe me. Thanks for your time. Frank

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Please use the contact form on my site to send me your BV page and your login details, i will see what is wrong

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Thank you, info has been sent. Frank

Karen Mac
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Your page isnt MYGUESTBOOK.. its

http://www.hulettwinsteadfuneralhome.com/guestbook.php

guestbook.php

Karen

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Yes mam, this is what I told Naveldesign in post #26, hopefully we can get this straight soon, I know I am ready and I pretty sure ya'll are. Thanks for the note, Frank

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
This is a naming issue.
Your page is "guest book" . Further more it is set to have html extension.
So it is published as "guest%20book.html"
I have deleted this file from the server.
To solve the issue:
1. Save the page as "guestbook". Change the extension (Page Properties) to be php
So it will be published as "guestbook.php"
At that point it will work just fine.

Karen Mac
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Might have to login to cpanel, file manager and DELETE the misnamed and html ones.

Karen

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Nope, I did

Karen Mac
08-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Nope, I did

LOL.. glad someone is on the ball!

Karen

navaldesign
08-06-2009, 09:47 PM
http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

frank rogers
08-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Navaldesign, you are a gentleman and a scholar, I thank you so much for your help, it is now on line like it should be, I have to figure out how to do a little tweeking on it and it will be finished. Thanks again, Frank