Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyperlinking/Downloading-file syndrome revisited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperlinking/Downloading-file syndrome revisited!

Ladies & Gentlemen,
    Hyperlinks on the index page of www.tudelftandi.com, way below the ellipse, are validated.
    Pdf files, except for few, are in the public_html folder.
    Pdf files are correctly embedded in their corresponding bv pages, carrying exactly the same names.
    Despite that, pdf files are not downloading on preview and on publishing. Caching is not likely to be a problem. In the html properties of the bv page secamnestyint99, corresponding to the hyperlink November 11, 1999 to Amnesty International, I even embedded <META HTTP-EQUIV="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"> under Between Head Tag, but to no avail. Where did it, really, misfire?! Your help, pls. Thanks & Regards.

Re: Hyperlinking/Downloading-file syndrome revisited!

So what is the question? You made several statements and im not sure where or what you need assistance with. If you EMBED the pdf.. you wont download it per se.. it will OPEN in a browser window and then the user has to click the save icon which is a computer disk

If you want them to download them.. then up load them to the server via ftp.. dont make a bv page, and LINK to the pdf http://whatever dot com/whatever.pdf

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hello Karen,
      That is why I am rather amazed. The files were correctly embedded. For example:
      <embed src="http://www.tudelftandi.com/secamnestyint99.pdf" width="850" height="625"></embed>
      The files were uploaded using the File Manager, and they exist in the FTP Manager also.
      When I preview, or publish, I get the message: To help protect your security, Internet Explorer prevented downloading files from your computer. Click here for options. And when I click, I get three options, the first of which: Download the file... Choosing that leads to a Blank page.
      Previously, I followed the same embedding and publishing procedures without a glitch. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

Did you see this thread for EMBEDDING

Its different than linking. and downloading

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yes, I followed that tutorial. The problem is not in embedding. Any way, hyperlinking to a page remains unavoidable. The linking and embedding were correct. The intervention by IE was the new feature. The question, here, is: Why was the page not downloaded when clicking on Download file...? Previously I used the Go Menu instead of hyperlinking. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

Show me the PAGE.. ..I dont have any problem DOWNLOADING in IE. SO .. new feature or no.. Id have to see specifically what you are referring to.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hello Karen: Please note that the problem is limited to hyperlinks in the text on the index page, below the ellipse. I cite the following as an example: The hyperlink November 11, 1999 to Amnesty International is supposed to take you to the pdf page secamnestyint99. Click on the hyperlink down in the text and see what you will get, to which I referred in my reply before the last one. That was what I got on my screen. I am using Vista/IE8. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

First of all ur page is too wide and slow in loading.
                The link above is working ok, but I could not find it on the index page...where is the November 11.......international link?
                ur page is so long and a mix of black, red & blue text that makes it difficult to find the link u r talking about. U also have some txt ontop of other txt.

Travlinman

AguycanBeach.com
                Aguycanbeachhostel
                Comunidad Aguycan Beach

A great must do for all beginners by Lincslady

Comment

Hello Karen: Sorry for the shortcomings in my previous reply. Pls go down to item (h-), then to the # that starts with: "What the lawyer Martens offered me rang a bell...". On the next line you have the hyperlink November 11, 1999 to Amnesty International. [I am writing on a 19" monitor. On my pc, I am getting almost instant display of my pages.]Thanks & Regards.

Comment

the page is there? I dont SEE any links within it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hey Karen, not sure if he has changed it, but I finally found it. The problems is that the he gave us in the beginning is the URL of the page he is linking to not where we are supposed to look to find the text link.
                      Check this out ==> http://www.tudelftandi.com and scroll down until u get 2 paragraph h- Third line from the bottom of the paragraph, link is in green.
                      I am running FF & it gives me the option 2 download & open.

Travlinman

AguycanBeach.com
                      Aguycanbeachhostel
                      Comunidad Aguycan Beach

A great must do for all beginners by Lincslady

Comment

well the pdf is there and it opens in explorer.. <shrug> i can save it.. etc.. you can download.. so.. i still dont get the problem?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hello Karen, Hello Travli: Tonight, and for no obvious reason to me, I got the pages automatically downloading without the interference of the IE!
                          Actually, a Home link exists in the Heading of the corresponding bv page, under which the pdf was embedded. However, and for no obvious reason to me, the link does not show up on the web pdf page.
                          Nevertheless, closing the web pdf page takes me back Home.
                          Why it worked and why IE stopped interfering tonight, remain rather enigmatic to me. I still don't get the problem. That is why I referred to the situation as syndrome. But it is, anyhow, solved. I shall be, anyway, grateful for your feedback in case you unravelled the mystery behind that.
                          My best wishes. Thanks & Regards.

Comment

Something I did yesterday,Brad's precious advice: I changed my cp password before shutting down. Tonight, on going to my site, I noticed the change...
                            My best wishes. Thanks & Regards.[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                            X