Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the wordpress tutes outdated?

Hi,
    Have been using bluevoda as my website builder for almost a year and have successfully built two great sites. Now I want to venture into the hosted blog arena. I have a freebie over at wordpress.com, really easy to use.....here it is http://thebudgetmum.wordpress.com

So, I have completed the first step in the wordpress tutorials ( and may I say these silent movie, read the instructions video's are god aweful) and set up my blog. I have logged in to the blog and find the dashboard to be the same as that in the .com freebie. So far so good.

Configured the blog on my own, the bluevoda screen MUST be an oldie coz it's totally different. Again, I'm coping.

Now I want to choose a theme. Here's where I'm getting stuck. In the tutorials it says to download a theme and upload it to cp. Where as in the wp-admin you can search and install a new theme without having to upload anything.

Decided to take the easy route and install the theme within wp-admin. This worked.

Now I want to edit the custom header. To do this via the wp-admin dashboard I figured would be the same as in the freebie. Upload the image into the media library then select custom header and customize with new image.....not so.

Me thinks it has something to do with the cpanel. So I have uploaded the image into the image folder in cpanel, but have no idea what to do next.
    Can't find the answer in either this or the wordpress forum. Perhaps I am using the wrong words in my search effort.

Someone please help.
    Sarah

Re: Are the wordpress tutes outdated?

The tutorials probably are a bit outdated, but should be close enough to give you the general idea.

so im confused as to whether you have wordpress.com freebie or if you installed wordpress on your vodahost acct?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Like Karen said it's not clear what is that you are doing.

If I understand it correctly, you have a theme that you have
      uploaded to your server in your wp-content/themes/ folder
      and you want to modify the header only.
      You can do so in your theme Stylesheet (style.css) file.

To look at and modify the CSS file,
      Dash to your WordPress board.

Click on Editor on the left menu under Appearance and
      the first thing you see is the css file on your screen.

If you do have to modify it, I suggest you first save the file.
      Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks and sorry for not explaining myself properly.

I do have a free wordpress blog http://thebudgetmum.wordpress.com but I want to move it to it's own domain.

I have now installed wordpress into my voda account with the domain http://budgetmama.com and it there with the standard default theme 'Kubrick' I think.

After logging into my dashboard via http://budgetmama.com/wp-admin I have no trouble using it as far as posting is concerned as it is pretty straightforward. As my free blog was only created a week ago I decided it was just as quick to just upload all the posts again rather than tranfers files. I have no publicised this blog at all so no worries about losing anyone or anything as it is all so new.

But when it came to changing the Kubrick theme to the one I was using in the free version I got stuck. First of all the theme I was using for free is K2-lite and it doesn't seem to be available at .org. So I figured doesn;t matter, will find another.

So, while logged into my dashboard via http://budgetmama.com/wp-admin I see that on the grey bar at the top there is a button that says 'install themes' and upon clicking it you have the opportunity to search for themes. I have done this. When you find one you like you simply select and click install and it then appears as one of your choices in the 'appearance' page. This led me to wonder if the instructions on downloading, unzipping, and uploading via ftp according to BV's tutorials were no longer required, and as the tutorials showed old screenshots of the wordpress dashboard I figured this was likely, and thought yay, they've made it even easier!

So I went ahead and installed a different theme via the dashboard, and accordingly my blog appearance changed. I then went to the appearance tab again and selected 'custom header' and it took me to the header image but only offered me the opportunity to change font colours and a few other things, but not the option to add my own image. I have added all my images via the media tab so they are there but I cannot see any way to install the one I want into the header.

I have had a look at the stylesheet but have no idea how to edit it this way.

I shall now try and do the file upload into my cpanel by ftp and see if that changes things.
        Sarah

Comment

Okay, so far so good, I couldn't get K2 via wordpress.org, but I was able to download it via its own site. I then unzipped, then uploaded the unzipped folder via bluFTP into the appropriate folder re the tutorial.
          I then log into wp-admin and select appearance and woohoo, there it is, yippeee!
          Next I click on 'activate' and I get this message:

Warning: require_once(/home/gszdzhys/public_html/wp-content/themes/k2/app/classes/k2.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gszdzhys/public_html/wp-content/themes/k2/functions.php on line 30

Holy ****, now I can't go anywhere else, back button give me a 404 message and so I closed the browser, went to budgetmama.com/wp-admin and I just get the same message.

Hellllllllp!
          Sarah

Comment

Using FTP or cpanel, you can check to see
            if wp-content/themes/k2/functions.php
            exists.

Or better yet, you can check it on your PC where
            you uploaded from.

Themes have this php file.

Worse come worse, you can create your own function.php if
            you really like K2.

In MS Notepad,
            for single side bar,
            <?php
            if ( function_exists('register_sidebar') )
            register_sidebar();
            ?>
            for two side bars,
            <?php
            if ( function_exists('register_sidebars') )
            register_sidebars(2);
            ?>
            Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
              The tutorials probably are a bit outdated, but should be close enough to give you the general idea.
              so im confused as to whether you have wordpress.com freebie or if you installed wordpress on your vodahost acct?
              Karen
              It's very clear from the link he provided that it is a WordPress-hosted account ("here it is ttp://thebudgetmum.wordpress.com"), meaning he should be seeking full support for any issues from the WordPress Community exclusively.

The above solutions are not entirely correct, inasmuch the template in question itself is not "widgetized" and will not recognize the coding as provided.
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
              X