Help - switched computers/directory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - switched computers/directory.

I need some help here. I recently bought a new laptop and in anticipation for this switch, I had been working exclusively from a flash drive that was in one of the USB ports on the older comp. That means, all of the BV files and images were linked to that exact path.

But now on the new computer, when I open BV to edit the pages, all of them are full of 'white' missing images because obviously the path that was saved no longer exists. I pretty much knew this would happen, but I wonder if there's a simpler solution than the one I've been doing.

Right now I'm just double-clicking (opening) each image on each BV page and just pasting a copy of the new drive/directory path.

Is there a way to just change the path that BlueVoda looks for the directory? Is there something else I can do about this? I'm still getting used to this new computer (and Windows 7) so I'm not exactly sure what options I have.

:) Thanks!
    George
    www.virtuosocreative.com

Re: Help - switched computers/directory.

one question i have is "are the old pages active or published already. if they are then what i do is open blank page - to to file/new page/from existing html.
    click on the remote and copy and paste the url address - within seconds your page will come up, make small changes such as centering, correct page width, naming the page etc.... but all your images will be in the image folder on your harddrive.
    hope this helps
    mrmagoo144
    www.videopostcards.info

Comment

hi mrmagoo,

sorry, I didn't think to mention what you asked about.

Yes, all of my pages/images are published online. What I am doing now is moving some of those images around, adjusting the menu bar on my page, etc. Several things that would require being able to see them. :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try and let you know if it works.
      George
      www.virtuosocreative.com

Comment

Your images will show on your website because they are also stored on your server. Is it absolutely important to see them on the BV pages? If no, don't worry about it. This happened to me on the big change over to BV 10. All images were missing on seven websites. However, everything was OK on the Internet.
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi
        Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

CarbonTerry,

Thanks! :) Actually, I got everything worked out, for the most part. But to answer your question - yeah, I kinda would like to see the images. Because I have so many and I'm a little OCD about where things are how things are placed, I tend to spend hours on a single page going back and forth, previewing the pages, moving some things around, seeing what it looks like, etc. In the end, it's not anything that bad, like losing images on the server. :( (sorry to hear about that... I can't imagine).

You're right though - publishing the "changes only" can work for what I'm doing and be the alternative, without having to SEE the images on BlueVoda., because everything is stored on the server already. However I don't work online that much when I do this stuff or have an internet connection at the local coffee shop, which is where I do the majority of my stuff. When doing "preview" only, you don't need internet to view the preview page, but without the images working before, it wouldn't show anything. I did get it all figured out and all of my image directories are fixed! :)

It's just been a long time since I've had a new computer and I'm trying to do a lot at once here. So many files to transfer and so much still to install/reinstall. But it's a relief to start new and fresh sometimes.

Thanks for the reply.
          George
          www.virtuosocreative.com

Comment

Working...
          X