Setting up my email so that it can be read via Thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up my email so that it can be read via Thunderbird

I'm a bit rusty on this as I set up my website about 18 months ago and haven't had to play with the settings in the background since then.

However, I've just had major problems with my email provider and have to ditch them because of their gross incompetence.

I want to now set up my emails to be read and answered with Thunderbird but don't know what the POP and SMTP settings are (or where to look)

Can someone help please?
    www.ArlineFishingCharter.co.nz
    www.NewZealandFishingCharter.com
    www.TwinPines.co.nz

Re: Setting up my email so that it can be read via Thunderbird

Did you search the forum for Thunderbird?
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I did but obviously not well enough. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I've set everything up as per the video, reset all the passwords and still get this message when trying to retrieve mail ......... "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz responded: Login failed"
      www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

I'm getting really confused here. There are two ISP's giving me conflicting advice.

I have a personal email with a company called Slingshot but am using a company called TelstraClear for my broadband access. My emails from my website ( hosted with Vodahost) were being forwarded through CPanel to emails set up under my Slingshot email facility.

I was receiving and sending emails via the Slingshot POP3 and SMTP servers(?). All was going well until they cocked up and deactivated my email account. As soon as I noticed, they reactivated the account but my emails are not functioning as before.

Slingshot now insists that the only way my emails can work under this setup is by receiving them via Slingshots POP3 and sending them by TelstraClear's STMP.

I think it's rubbish, TelstraClear thinks it's rubbish and Slingshot refuses to help.

To get around the whole thing, I have tried to bypass the server at both companies and have set up my emails in Thunderbird as:

Name: Arline Fishing Charters (enquiries)
        Email Address: enquiries@arlinefishingcharter.co.nz
        Server Type: POP Mail Server
        Server Name: mail.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz
        Port: 110
        User Name: enquiries
        Use Secure Connection: Never

Outgoing Server (SMTP)
        Port: 25
        User Name: murray@arlinefishingcharter.co.nz
        Secure Connection: TLS (if available)

I've got four different "arline" emails set up, with murray@arlinefishingcharter.co.nz being the main id. Is this causing the problem? Or is it something else?

All attempts to receive emails get a prompt for the password. The pswd gets entered correctly but the reponse is "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz responded: Login failed"
        www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

My advice is to set up your domain email address through GMAIL (you will still have your branded email address). There is a sticky topic at the top of the page about how to do this. I had constant problems until I did this for my sites. It has solved 90% of the problem because now the incoming and outgoing servers are GMAIL. I use Thunderbird with some sites and Outlook express with others and it works fine.

The problem you are having is with your ISP and not Voda. I have found an ISP will lie to you when it comes to email being blocked. Its because they are blocked and if they tell you that then what good is their service and why would you pay them? So they lie instead.

I would bet that Slingshot is blocked by most everyone for receiving email from their servers because they are a prepaid company.

Google apps will solve your problem.

Comment

Thanks for the advice regarding Gmail but I don't want to rerout my email all over the place.

I have 4 email addresses set up and working in CPanel.
            I can read them using SquirrelMail so everything is working okay obviously.

I just want to set up Thunderbird so that I can read and send them via Thunderbird. Should be simple but it is not for some reason.

I find auto setups for Outlook (which I don't have and don't want) but I want Thunderbird

"Enter your password for enquiries on mail.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz"

When I enter the correct password I get

"Sending of password did not succeed. Mail Server mail.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz responded: Login Failed"

If I change my username under "setting" in Thunderbird to my CPanel Id and enter the password, it goes through okay but of course no mail comes back.

Surely there is someone out there who knows what is wrong?
            www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

Just been reading your thread. Change the bit in Red and see if that works

Name: Arline Fishing Charters (enquiries)
              Email Address: enquiries@arlinefishingcharter.co.nz
              Server Type: POP Mail Server
              Port: 110
              User Name: enquiries@arlinefishingcharter.co.nz or enquiries+arlinefishingcharter.co.nz
              Use Secure Connection: Never

Outgoing Server (SMTP)
              Server Name: mail.arlinefishingcharter.co.nz (If you can't send mail this should be changed to that of your ISP)
              Port: 25
              User Name: murray@arlinefishingcharter.co.nz (This shouldn't be necessary if you use your ISP for outgoing mail)
              Secure Connection: TLS (if available)

Not 100% sure about the outgoing mail, looks over complicated for something that should be straight forward. Typically these days your outgoing mail goes out via your ISP's server and not your domain.

See how you get on with your incoming mail first.
              Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Darren, you are a saviour. Thank you so much for solving this problem of mine that has been driving me crazy for way too long.
                www.TwinPines.co.nz

Comment

you are welcome!!
                  Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenC View Post
                    you are welcome!!
                    I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info.
                    Simulation credit auto & taux credit auto | Taux simulation pret auto | Pret voiture taux simulation credit voiture

Comment

I had same problem and I just set up forwarders to a main address on my isp account. Now when someone sends to my voda email it's forwarded to my main ISP email.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                        Darren, you are a saviour. Thank you so much for solving this problem of mine that has been driving me crazy for way too long.
                        ^^ good point. Glad I joined this forum already
                        power kites|cheap kites

Comment

Working...
                        X