Check out my first site ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out my first site ...

Made this for my wife www.wicksfromthesticks.com please give feedback ..anything i could do better ?
    sigpic

Re: Check out my first site ...

Nice. How did you add those leaf graphics to your site?

Comment

Hi Fred,
      First impressions: cute theme - nice colours. I'm not 100% sure about the falling leaves. Very pretty to start with but there's quite a lot to read & after a few seconds they become somewhat distracting. Sorry, 'cause they're cute but......Also:

Home: you have some side-scroll - check the width in page properties. You have the text as an image so this is going to take some time to correct: about 1/2 way down: "...available for candles. (new para) Our handmade...." The 2 lines overlap. Last line: truly no 'e'

About Us:
      1st. sentence - you are 2 people then?? LOL! I suggest "WE ARE Jonene & Carrie.
      With the help of our family, friends, their friends, & coworkers we hope to bring

Fragrances:
      for just ask to see if we can get it for you - OK, I don't have time to check through ALL the fragrances, but I quickly saw this Artic Air- This brilliant fragrance begins with top notes

Benefits of Soy
      :
      so each soy candle may be somewhat unique. Sorry, but this is just not right! Either each candle is unique, period, or not. If you want to use "may" then I suggest: ...each soy candle may differ somewhat.

Burning Tips: "Just about any candle will tell you..." Ah! So your candles speak as well?? LOL

So - a lot of work & a really nice site....just a little tweaking to make it perfect. Good luck,
      david

Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Originally posted by Arjuna Drill View Post
        Nice. How did you add those leaf graphics to your site?
        Hello Arjuna i got the fallen leafs at http://www.javascriptfreecode.com/11.htm ..... i opened up Page HTML. put the JavaScript inside body tag ....
        sigpic

Comment

Hello David ,
          Thanks for the first impressions. I was hoping that you took a look at my site. I have read alot of posts from you and i like how you pin point things that are wrong or not right for the sites ... Ok so anyways I've fixed every thing you seen wrong so far .. But one thing is i can't see the 2 lines overlap. My width is 800 ...i never moved my width... all my pages is at 800 width..i have looked on 3 computers and i did'nt see no over lapping..I don't see anywhere i could of put a text into a image. oh yeah beleave me Her candles do speak...LOL ..Thanks again take care

Fred
          sigpic

Comment

...you're welcome....now it's fixed - must have been at my end LOL
            Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

about 1/2 way down: "...available for candles. (new para) Our handmade...."
              Hello David
              I Know what that was I found it..It was the two txt boxes. The one on top was over lapping the bottom one when i highlighted it...Thanks david

Fred
              sigpic

Comment

:)

Comment

Nice site, like the layout and color scheme. You ahve to tell me how you got your poll working!
                  http://site-wars.com The Ultimate site for Gamers!

Comment

Originally posted by lugial23803 View Post
                    You have to tell me how you got your poll working!
                    Hello Lugial

I put this on the front page in a HTML :

<div align="center"><center>
                    <form name="StatPac_Survey_Software" action="javascript:open_survey_software_results()" method="POST">
                    <input type="hidden" name="poll_id" value="09112318020446">
                    <input type="hidden" name="ip_check" value="0">
                    <input type="hidden" name="cookie_check" value="1">
                    <input type="hidden" name="time_out" value="11/23/09">
                    <input type="hidden" name="view_results_before" value="1">
                    <input type="hidden" name="view_results_after" value="1">
                    <input type="hidden" name="view_mode" value="0">
                    <input type="hidden" name="sorted" value="1">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph" value="1">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph_width" value="200">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph_bgColor" value="#dddddd">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph_color" value="#000000">
                    <input type="hidden" name="font_name" value="Arial">
                    <input type="hidden" name="font_size" value="2">
                    <input type="hidden" name="title_bar" value="Wicks from the Sticks Survey Results">
                    <input type="hidden" name="vote" value="">
                    <table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#111111" width="250px">
                    <tr>
                    <td width="100%" bgcolor="#bbbbbb"><font face="Arial" size="2" color="#000000"><b>What do you think about our Candles? </b></font></td>
                    </tr>
                    <tr>
                    <td width="100%" valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff">
                    <font face="Arial" size="2" color="#000000">
                    &nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="radio" name="Choice" value="1">Excellence<br>
                    &nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="radio" name="Choice" value="2">Good <br>
                    &nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="radio" name="Choice" value="3">Not bad<br>
                    &nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="radio" name="Choice" value="4">Bad <br>
                    &nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="radio" name="Choice" value="5">I have no sense of smell
                    </font>
                    <p></p>
                    <p align="center"><font face="Arial" size="1">
                    <input type="submit" name="button" value="Vote">
                    &nbsp; <a href="javascript:view_only()">View&nbsp;Results</a>
                    </font></p>
                    <p></p>
                    <p align="center"><font face="Arial" size="1">
                    <!-- Online survey software: Copyright 2006-2007 StatPac Survey Software
                    Please do not remove this copyright notice or link -->
                    <a href="http://www.statpac.com">Public&nbsp;...nbsp;Survey</a>
                    </font></p>
                    </td>
                    </tr>
                    </table>
                    <input type="hidden" name="question" value="What do you think about our Candles? ">
                    <input type="hidden" name="choices" value="1^^Excellence::2^^Good ::3^^Not bad::4^^Bad ::5^^I have no sents of smell ::">
                    <script>
                    view=false;
                    function view_only() {
                    view=true;
                    document.StatPac_Survey_Software.submit();
                    }
                    function open_survey_software_results() {
                    for (i=0;i<document.StatPac_Survey_Software.Choice.len gth;i++){
                    if (document.StatPac_Survey_Software.Choice[i].checked==true){
                    document.StatPac_Survey_Software.vote.value=""+(i+ 1);
                    }
                    }
                    if ((document.StatPac_Survey_Software.vote.value=="") && (view==false)){
                    alert ("Please make a selection.");
                    return;
                    }
                    if (view==true) {
                    document.StatPac_Survey_Software.view_mode.value=" 1";
                    } else {
                    document.StatPac_Survey_Software.view_mode.value=" 0";
                    }
                    view=false;
                    url = "survey_software_results.html";
                    args = 'toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,m enubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=600,h eight=250,left=200,top=200';
                    result = window.open(url, "survey_software", args);
                    }
                    </script>
                    </form>
                    </center></div>

and then i made another page and called it survey_software_results.bvp

and put this in a HTML all by itself :

<html>
                    <head>
                    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
                    <title>Survey Software</title>
                    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Fri, Feb 22 2002 01:00:00 GMT">
                    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
                    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">

<script>
                    function doit() {
                    document.Survey_Software.poll_id.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.pol l_id.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.ip_check.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.ip_ check.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.cookie_check.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.coo kie_check.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.time_out.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.tim e_out.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.view_results_before.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.vie w_results_before.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.view_results_after.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.vie w_results_after.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.view_mode.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.vie w_mode.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.sorted.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.sor ted.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.graph.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.gra ph.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.graph_width.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.gra ph_width.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.graph_bgColor.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.gra ph_bgColor.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.graph_color.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.gra ph_color.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.font_name.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.fon t_name.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.font_size.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.fon t_size.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.title_bar.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.tit le_bar.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.vote.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.vot e.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.question.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.que stion.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.choices.value = window.opener.document.StatPac_Survey_Software.cho ices.value;
                    document.Survey_Software.submit();
                    }
                    </script>
                    </head>
                    <body onLoad="doit()">
                    <p><font face="Arial" size="2">Please wait...</font></p>
                    <form name="Survey_Software" action="http://www.statpac.com/cgi-bin/onlin...ey_software.pl" method="POST">
                    <input type="hidden" name="poll_id" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="ip_check" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="cookie_check" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="time_out" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="view_results_before" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="view_results_after" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="view_mode" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="sorted" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph_width" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph_bgColor" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="graph_color" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="font_name" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="font_size" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="title_bar" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="vote" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="question" value="">
                    <input type="hidden" name="choices" value="">
                    </form>
                    </body>
                    </html>

I hope this helps you out take care

Fred
                    sigpic

Comment

Website critique list.
                      Looks & Layout:
                      Site has the right feel, but the menu feels like it wants to be raised.
                      Links:
                      All seemed to work.
                      Page Title’s:
                      Use words that visitors will type when looking for your products. (Must also be within the text pages content)
                      Page Keywords:
                      Use words that visitors will type when looking for your products. (Must also be within the text pages content)
                      Page Description:
                      Search Engine suggestions:
                      As above
                      Page alignment:
                      When using BV, the pages should be built from the far left side of your screen with the centre in browser box selected in page properties & a working width set from 785px to fit all screens & 985px wide to fit most without visitors getting side scroll.
                      Your site will have side scroll & look different to many visitors with the settings you are using.
                      Images/Photos:
                      Not a major thing, but would reduce this http://www.wicksfromthesticks.com/images/bv01240.png image down to about 30kb from 155kb to help speed things up.
                      Email links:
                      Need to add a mailto: link to your email contact so visitors can just click on it. Would personally aim at putting a form on the page to help stop spam.
                      Spelling:
                      Not checked.

Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I think your website if fantastic, great colors and it has a clean look to it and a little warmth, alougth i would have added the leaves because it would look a little more like positive energy that welcomes people.

I think you did a fine job in deed. keep up the great work.

kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X