stopping from download/copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stopping from download/copy

I have seen on many sites where they prevent you from downloading / copying a video and or picture. How is this done? Aliens Anonymous has done this with his pictures. I tried to right click on one of his thumbs -thinking it would get a larger picture, and was met with an Internet Explorer message " Nice try subshine----". It was funny.

How would I take steps to prevent or make it difficult to copy/download
    a video, wav file, mp3 or picture?

Thanks

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Re: stopping from download/copy

It doesn't prevent people from copying anything, it just makes them take an additional step.

Heres some javascript to disable right click

Code:
     <script type="text/javascript">
    function disableRig***lick(e)
    {
      var message = "You just right clicked!!";

if(!document.rig***lickDisabled) // initialize
      {
        if(document.layers) 
        {
          document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
          document.onmousedown = disableRig***lick;
        }
        else document.oncontextmenu = disableRig***lick;
        return document.rig***lickDisabled = true;
      }
      if(document.layers || (document.getElementById && !document.all))
      {
        if (e.which==2||e.which==3)
        {
          alert(message);
          return false;
        }
      }
      else
      {
        alert(message);
        return false;
      }
    }
    disableRig***lick();
    </script>
    But this isn't going to prevent people from downloading videos, music, or even pictures. Whenever you go to a website the pictures are saved on their computer in their temporary internet folder. Not to mention if anyone used FF (Im sure other browsers have this too), they can install an extension that will disable javascript from running on certain sites, meaning they disable your right click disable. Also there is always print screens.

So basically dont think this will completly protect you, only make it a slight bit harder for people to copy things. The only way to be 100% secure it to keep it on a computer that isn't connected to the internet

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

You can also try this link! Hope it helps....it is only for Music however

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creati...rotectmp3.html

Elevate Your Music
      HipHopTraxx
      Blue Diamond Marketing

Comment

hey,
        can you download my music?
        i dont think you can...
        try it out when u have time
        thank you so much
        here is the link with the music on it...
        http://www.follownotrends.com/pictures.html
        www.follownotrends.com

Comment

Disabling right click is actually a pain in the butt - cuz everything in the source is really still available - just makes people take an extra step. But they aren't in temp internet files - just available by other means.

Now, a downloadable file is different - and in most cases isn't available. It depends on how it is uploaded and stored.

I work on websites - do a lot of optimization - and had someone ask me to optimize their site - and they were furious when I emailed back some suggestions - wanted to know how I got into their "source" because they had right click disabled. I simply laughed. However, I also asked them why they were requesting help if they thought they had hidden their work?

As for a picture, that can be got by taking a "snapshot" of the whole page (or partial page) if you want - then pull the picture out of it in a photo program.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

FNT-

First- I really like your music and would like to by a disc when it comes avaliable.

Second- Never say never.

http://netisopen.com/test2/nocopy.html

This was done in 10 minutes(including creating the page to put it on). I could have matched quality note for note if I had spent some time on it.

Out of respect for your copyright- I will delete soon.

Cheers and have a great day

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Hi Andy128
              If you want to Disable right click and take away the image that allows save print then mate you do it. if you want to copywrite your images do it . I've seen so many people blab on about you can do this you can do that to get your images "so what" at least your trying and if it slows them down or puts them of all the good.
              Good luck mate like your site well done.

Comment

If you want an easy way to stop right clicks, select the "shape" tool in BlueVoda, stretch it over the whole page, double click on it and select image but dont put an image in it and leave it blank. When they right click and "copy" they will just get a big square of nothing.

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
                royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

Alien Dude and ryob,
                  Alien Dude- I agree with ya. Do what you can and be done with it. I was just funning with fnt's challenge. And thanks for the compliment on the website.

ryob- nice trick. I will add that to my bag of tricks.

Have a great night-

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by royb
                    If you want an easy way to stop right clicks, select the "shape" tool in BlueVoda, stretch it over the whole page, double click on it and select image but dont put an image in it and leave it blank. When they right click and "copy" they will just get a big square of nothing.
                    Cool trick! Like it.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Cool trick, but supposedly will also cause se's to not read your page.

People should not steal what you do - unfortunately, just like car thieves, the ones who really want it - will find a way to get it. Make sure you copyright and don't be afraid to go after anyone if you find out their using your stuff.
                      Beth
                      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
                        But they aren't in temp internet files - just available by other means.
                        Unless its disabled all a copy of the html source and images are saved in the temporary internet folder. And there is probably a way of getting the music and video files saved from your buffere before they get deleted.

Disabling right click isn't really even an annoyance, if you use FF you can disable javascript (i'm sure other broswers can do the same), so right once then come to the site they have enabled right click on the pages you diabled it.

If you want to take additional steps to prevent people from viewing your source you can use an encrypter. People can't read the source without de-encrypting it, and depending on how many ways there are to encrypt it, it may take them too long to find the right one, and they may give up. But you will have to do this manually to each of your pages, meaning you have to download all your html files, encrypt it, and upload (and do this for every page you update later on).

Register/Login Script
                        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
                        X