Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please review my site

Hi All
    This is my first attempt at a web site, please have a look and give any feedback ( bad or good :)
    www.lonelyobject.com

I am yet to work out how to make my email links active i.e when someone clicks on the link and it pops up with an email composition box ?
    Other than that I am quite happy with the navigation and design - it is very basic and I am toying with the idea of adding a shopping cart - if anyone can suggest the best way to go here I would appreciate it.
    Thanks for your time people.
    Best regards
    Mark

Re: Please review my site

Hey Mark,
    love the opening page.......some points:
    The "next" link on Bric-a-Brac 3 doesn't work. I know why...because that's the last page LOL... if you're not going to add any more for a while, maybe take it out?
    Ditto with the 2nd. page of "Photos by Mark"
    My own personal opinion: I always think "coming soon" rings better than "under construction".....
    but in all, nice work,
    david
    regards to maxy
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Use pix resizer for all the images! Takes forever to load and I have good connection.

Comment

im a little confused - you have some nice products, but i don't see a price for each item. then you have a payment page that works with paypal. basically you can put a price on each item, and a pay pal add to cart button for each item and if i would like to purchase the item i would pay through pay pal and you then would ship the item. you don't say anything about freight. hope you fill in the blanks for me as I may be interested in some of the items.
        i like the lay out and design - i agree with sizing your pictures a bit better but that is the draw back with using light house. what would be the problem with you having your small picture on each page, let's say 90 x 90 pixels and use a pop up when someone clicks on the picture. it will load much better. its up to you - it is your website.
        mrmagoo144
        www.videopostcards.info

Comment

Hey thanks for the replies,
          Mrmagoo 1st -
          If I were to add each photo separately ( which I am happy to do - sort of :) I would lose the nice interface - back next - I suppose I just have to make a separate full page pic ? - I have tried to keep the sizes down i.e I resized all of them in photoshop as a large and small image - tried to keep them below 30k each and up to 100 on some I think - but I will recheck this.

Thanks for the paypal suggestion - freight would be via post and I will add some info soon - let me know what items you like :) thanks again

Thanks tommyB - as above - I only know ps - but will try and find this, cheers

Finally, many thanks David - I agree and will fix that up.

All the best

Mark

Comment

Any web page should be under 200kb & yours is around 1400kb. Best bet is not to use the light box as a gallery as it has not been designed for this particular type of use.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I think the site looks good and I know its been mentioned but I really think you should be able to click on the thumbnail to bring up a bigger image, with a description, a price tag and a way to buy.
              Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Um - please help re pix size etc ? anyone have any suggestions - I use photoshop and have checked my website on several computers with varying connections - they all load ok - if anyone can suggest a better way to display images and make a lightbox style interface it would be appreciated - or should i be looking at a shopping cart - please reply with some example websites if possible
                many thanks
                m

Comment

Please email me at the above address for all questions, transactions & pancake recipes

This is great, made me laugh out loud!

I don't know if someone has mentioned it but your contact and payment pages are untitled.

Love the site, I agree with the above comments.

Comment

Originally posted by adeblov View Post
                    Um - please help re pix size etc ? anyone have any suggestions - I use photoshop and have checked my website on several computers with varying connections - they all load ok - if anyone can suggest a better way to display images and make a lightbox style interface it would be appreciated - or should i be looking at a shopping cart - please reply with some example websites if possible
                    many thanks
                    m
                    Hi Mark,
                    don't know if this will help or just add to your "confusion"? LOL...but, a lot of people, including myself, are using i-frames for things like this...it's a little time comsuming when you have a lot of images + text to write with them but....have a look at the effect and see if you think it's worth it.
                    Here's an example of what I have done on one of my pages - scroll down to where you see the Title "Herat" & below "Kandahar" Off to the right is the i-frame. It's possible to have some text included below the images in the i-frame if necessary. As for 'sizing' use PIXresizer (free from VH) - my thumbs are 100 X 100 & the i-frame is 400 X 400
                    good luck,
                    david
                    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Thanks David
                      Where can I download the I-Frame thingy ? :)

Comment

If you're using BV11 it's the extreme left tool bar - 3rd. icon down - also check this tutorial
                        have fun,
                        david

Comment

This might also be a bit of extra help!
                          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you Generals Dave & Chris

I will tackle this soon - looks like a better way than the lightbox - I am still unsure of how or which shopping cart system to use - do either of you have any experience with them or know of a good site to take a look at - whilst my site is not super commercial I am keen to have it work smoothly and actually allow ppl a mechanism to purchase - thank you both for your kindness again.
                            Regards
                            Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X