Question About Importance of Domain Name vs URL & Subdomain in SEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Importance of Domain Name vs URL & Subdomain in SEO

I've been trying to learn more about SEO, linking, etc., to improve the position of my web pages in Google and other search engines. When I first started using Voda Host and Blue Voda (BV) a couple of years ago, I started with the domain: www.incsource101.com I have not done much with the domain itself but have done substantial work building subdomains such as: www.incsource101.com/setupllc/index.html

I've optimized this web page and have been working on building some links and posting articles in directories. However, I have done very little with the initial domain: www.incsource101.com

I've also done quite a lot of work with the subdomain: www.incsource101.com/registeringabusinessname.html

So my question is: For purposes of SEO - does it hurt your rankings or alimit your ability to move up in the search engines when you optimize and get backlinks for a subdomain but have not done the same for the main domain? Or to put it another way, should I have been optimizing and doing SEO on my main domain long before I started doing it for the subdomains?

It seems that when I try to check the status of my web pages (where they rank on Google) the tools I use just want the initial domain name - not the subdomains.

I've been struggling some with my position in the search engines with respect to some of my subdomains and I'm wondering if this could be one of the problems?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Bob M
Working...
X