Hidden text, javascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden text, javascript

I was looking at BV free template section and there is one item called "Keyword Digger" . Clicking on the GO link took me to a site called "SearchTerms.com". Apparently, one can test out one's website for broken links, degree of SEO achieved, etc.

I tested my website and made the following interesting discoveries :-

Hidden Text
    In my original page header, I had a 1" wide blue band running from left to right of the page. And the name of my company was written on this in WHITE. So, it was White Text on Blue background. However, when run on SearchTerms test, the site failed on the count of violating "Hidden Text" rule. When I changed the color of the text to some thing other than white, the violation count was lifted. I thought it was only white text on white background that counted as "Hidden Text".

"JavaScript"
    All the pages of my site failed on this count. Apparently these pages had something called "javascript" codes in them....somewhere. I did an analysis by elimination, and eventually found out that the source of trouble was the Navigation Bars and the Text Navigation Links.

I can easily change the color of the text in order to avoid the "Hidden Text" issue. However, I am not sure how to resolve the second issue.

The real question is : Does Google (or any other search engine) penalize a URL that has javascript in it, as what SearchTerms claims ? If Google does, then what are we to do ? SearchTerms has given some suggestion to circumvent this, by putting the javascript section "in a remote file". What does this mean ?

Need enlightenment from some learned folks. Thanks.

KS Neoh
    www.crystalimage-lcd.com
    www.dogsbed.com

Re: Hidden text, javascript

Originally posted by ksneoh View Post
    I was looking at BV free template section and there is one item called "Keyword Digger" . Clicking on the GO link took me to a site called "SearchTerms.com". Apparently, one can test out one's website for broken links, degree of SEO achieved, etc.

I tested my website and made the following interesting discoveries :-

Hidden Text
    In my original page header, I had a 1" wide blue band running from left to right of the page. And the name of my company was written on this in WHITE. So, it was White Text on Blue background. However, when run on SearchTerms test, the site failed on the count of violating "Hidden Text" rule. When I changed the color of the text to some thing other than white, the violation count was lifted. I thought it was only white text on white background that counted as "Hidden Text".

"JavaScript"
    All the pages of my site failed on this count. Apparently these pages had something called "javascript" codes in them....somewhere. I did an analysis by elimination, and eventually found out that the source of trouble was the Navigation Bars and the Text Navigation Links.

I can easily change the color of the text in order to avoid the "Hidden Text" issue. However, I am not sure how to resolve the second issue.

The real question is : Does Google (or any other search engine) penalize a URL that has javascript in it, as what SearchTerms claims ? If Google does, then what are we to do ? SearchTerms has given some suggestion to circumvent this, by putting the javascript section "in a remote file". What does this mean ?

Need enlightenment from some learned folks. Thanks.

KS Neoh
    www.crystalimage-lcd.com
    www.dogsbed.biz
    Sorry, there was a typo in the 2nd URL

Comment

Working...
    X