Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to install Joomla?

Hi

I've just installed Joomla via fantastico for my new website, but i now don't know whether i should stick to this or install Joomla manually, as this seems to be the way to do it if you want to keep upto date with the latest Joomla? What happens if i start building my site and then swap from fantastico install to manual install, and vice versa? Do i loose all my data on my site? Also, what happens when i update the software when new releases are made with either method? Will the website content be safe and transfered?

Lastly, does installing via fantastico/manually affect the flexibility of where i can work on the site? Can i still log in from any computer and amend the site, or is it like bluevoda where i am limited to my computer? Where are the files kept for the website in each method? Are they always saved in the Joomla site where i log in?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, just trying to get my head around exactly what Joomla is/does in comparison to BV.

Re: Best way to install Joomla?

Originally posted by Gander
    What is joomla?
    Joomla is something similar to what you are looking at now on your computer screen.

VodaTalk is using VBulletin to set up this forum.

If you need something free use other alternatives like PhpBB3.

Check out the "Forum", forum at the bottom of this page.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gander
      What is joomla?
      Joomla! is the mobile-ready and user-friendly way to build your website. Choose from thousands of features and designs. Joomla! is free and open source.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Squeak,

Let me share somethings which I learnt from experiencing in doing drupal and started venturing out joomla for past few months. Both are good CMS platform for building websites.

All your website content should be stored in mysql database which gets created during joomla/drupal installation and you shouldn't loose them during upgrades. You can usually take backup of them during upgrades and cpanel provides options to backup. Also you can see the mysql db's going to mysql admin option.

In fantasito, they have Joomla 1.5 which seems to be the latest and works great as per my experience and playing with it anddon't need to install manually. You can also try installing manually in a different subdomain and check out the difference.

Hoep this helps.
        Life is too short, let's make it worth a life time.

Sites hosted with Vodahost,
        www.vijaianand.com
        www.igurus.net
        www.firsttimecruising.com

Signature Rules Apply

Comment

Working...
        X