Please review my site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please review my site

Please take a look at our website; would love some feed-back.

www.judymwatts.com

I am having a problem with some images covering the menu bar - when the menu bar drops down it goes behind the picture; I'm not sure how to fix it - please help.
    Have had a few people say when looking at "How do you get there from here" that one of the door knobs covers some of the text. This doesn't happen when I look at it from 2 different computers.
    Looking forward to some input.

Michelle/Judy

Re: New Site - Please Check it Out

Hi there

1. I think the 1st page needs some space on top. its flush against the top of the browser and with the black spaces on the sides and below, it looks strange
    2. the next page (welcome) needs to be flush left. as it is, it looks wider that it should be
    3. i think the menu tabs on the right does not need to much space in between. perhaps a little more tightness to make it look more professional
    4. the world time converter and the external links on your links tab opened on the same page as yours, you should use _blank, rather than _self if you want it to open on another browser page. That way, you do not lose your visitor
    5. Moon phases is ok because it is still your site, but not the world time converter
    6. i think your link to home should go to your second page rather than the page where visitors need to click on Enter again to get back to your real main page
    7. you use the same font on your menu as is on your content. it is not normally a prob except your drop down gets confusing since you also use the same background colour
    8. on the images covering the menu bar, what I do is right click the image and send it to back, right click the menu and send it to front. save and publish, try that

That is it for now. Good luck
    Millie
    www.subeagle.com

Comment

Thanks Millie for the feedback - very helpful.

I have another question for you; I need to change something on the site to a link - I know how to do this, I know how to change the colours, but what I'm having problems with is setting up a style in the "style manager" and being able to use it on other pages. Is this possible? I set up the styles on my index/home page, give them each a different name, edit the colours, click ok & then ok again and then when I exit I click ok again. This is supposed to save them which it does if I stay on the one page, but when I open the Welcome page the styles aren't in the style manager.

Thanks.

Michelle & Judy

Comment

Hi M&J

Are you referring to the styles of the hyperlinks? If you are, then I can tell you that I had the same problem when I started. I do not know if you can do what you are asking. I suggest you create a new post and ask that. What I did was create a blank page with common stuff that I always use. When I create a new page, I just open my blank page and save it as a different name. That way, I have all the attributes of the common stuff in all my pages.

Good luck
        Millie
        www.subeagle.com

Comment

Thanks Millie.

Yes I was talking about the hyperlinks styles. What I've ended up doing is setting up a main page (similar to the menu page) and using an HTML box, that way if I have any changes I can do it on the main page, republish and it's done for all pages.

On you first reply you said the "Welcome" page should be set to the far left; I'm assuming you mean all the pages should be set that way as well?

Michelle

Comment

Re: Please review my site

Hi M&J

That is a good concept on the HTML box. I use an HTML box for my menus. That way, I only edit one page to change all the menus on all pages.
            • Your welcome page looks better. Just a bit more adjustment.
            • I think your first page (judymwatts.com) does not look good flush left, because the right side is left with too much black space.
            • The top and bottom looks good.
            • I think it should be centred on the page, but make sure the page has the same height and width as your welcome page.
            • There seems to be a problem with the middle lines "new positive attitude of yourself" and "draw your own picture" when using FF. No prob when using IE. Good also when using Chrome.
            • the mune bar on "Welcome" is bit wider than your heading.
            • better colour contrast on the drop-down menu against the body content (nice colour contrast)
            • from the welcome page, i clicked moon phases and it opened in another window. was that intentional?
            • but from the Links page, i clicked moon phases and it opened in the same window
            • your welcome page and your links page does not have the same page width (links is wider), you might want to check the width of all your pages and make sure they are the same
            • books of interest has the same width as the links page
            • the heading on the contact us page is different (plain fonts) and the links on the right side are no longer there (intentional?)
            • the blogs page opened in the same window. I think because it looks like a different site, you should open it in a separate window

That is it for now. I think you have enough to work on. Good luck

Cheers
            Millie
            www.subeagle.com

Comment

Hi Millie,

Thanks for all the input. I've been working on the changes for the past couple of weeks and have finally finished. Take a look and let me know what you think.
              There are some pages (contact us, moon phases and the dedication page) where the menu bars are a little different from the rest of the site and the side menu bar isn't on these pages either - intentional - yes.

On the Guestbook; when someone signs it and leaves a comment and you refresh the page, the comment shows up behind the Header at the top of the page. It also has the IP address at the end of the sentence. How do I fix this?

The other thing is; any time I post a question here it shows up on google or bing, etc. (when I have entered a search for my website). Why does this happen?

Anyone who can answer any of the questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle/Judy
              www.judymwatts.com

Comment

Hi
                I will answer the easy one first. The google and bing stuff is because they always have bots or something crawling here looking for changes because they know there are lots. They take the changes and viola, they are published.

I think that is what happens or something like that. Someone is bound to correct me (I hope), but that is a quick and dirty explanation.

I will look at your site (soon), its just a little busy here now.

Cheers
                Millie
                www.subeagle.com

Comment

Working...
                X