Intellectual property question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intellectual property question

I was just wondering... If I write an entry/article and post it on my site, does the webhost own the intellectual property or is the person who posted the content the one owning it?

I got worried about this after reading the terms and conditions of some free hosting sites such as Yola.com where it is said the webhost remains the owner of intellectual property of ... and then I'm not sure if they refer to anything on their servers (including the stuff you post there) or only the software they offer you to create the site while you are the owner of the content you post. The terms (go to yola.com or weebly.com and read the terms) do state they have an unlimited license to adapt, spread or copy your content for the promotion of your site but that's very vague.

So how is it at BlueVoda: does the host own everything you publish, or do they only have the rights to the software they provide while the user is owning the intellectual property of the content posted?

PS: for several of my writings (proze, articles, ...) I registered the intellectual property already. I am however worried that if I'd post them on a website or in a blog, that it may have consequences for the intellectual property which is currently in my name and should remain so.
    "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Re: Intellectual property question

No, VH has no property rights on your contents. If you wish you can read VH's TOS to make sure yourself: http://www.vodahost.com/web-hosting-tos.htm
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hmmm, I read through the page with the Terms and cannot see any paragraph specifically dealing with intellectual property. Where exactly is this written that the customer remains the intellectual property owner of all content published at a Vodahost-hosted website?

PS; I was quite surprised to read no backups were made by the host, I thought VH did make backups regularly to restore websites in case of for example hacking.
      (anyway, this was off-topic... Back to the intellectual property I guess)
      "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Comment

Actually VH does take backups, but the meaning of what written in the TOS is that you are responsible to keep your own backups.

Intel. property: nothing written because there is nothing to write: property of your content is yours, VH doesn't in ANYWAY become holder of the content intellectual property.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
        X