Navigation bars and menus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigation bars and menus!

Have you got a large site - or is your embryonic site likely to grow much larger that you first thought?

This is quite an important question to answer before you start designing the navigation around your site, especially if you want to use the navigation bar.

I was alerted to the problem when I couldn't see some of my blue voda folders when I was using blue ftp - apparently public_html works best when you have 1200 files or less in it. Because I was using navigation bars I had over 1400! (10 menu gifs per page - 10 mouse over gifs per page - over 70 pages: you do the maths!)

The helpful people at BV came up with a suggestion - why not use the drop down menus instead? (Must point out these weren't actually an option when I first started my site last year!). Anyway, I have now used these, and I think the navigation has improved tremendously (even I found pages I had forgotten!). And having put them up I was able to delete about 1500 files from my public_html folder. Now my 80 page site (yup, it keeps growing) only has 500 files in this folder, and hopefully will allow me to keep the site growing and growing!

So, to sum up this lengthy tip - consider the number of gifs you will be using if you use the navigation bar option. If your site is going to be large, I would suggest you go for the drop down menu instead. Take a look at limebrook.com if you want to see what they look like! I am so pleased with this menu that I think I will change my other site too!

Cheers
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: Navigation bars and menus!

Nice tip Trish. Another way to consider, in order to keep nav bar gifs to a minimum, would be to use i-frames. That way you only load one navbar and all your pages use the same one.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Where's the drop down menu on the builder? I only see Navigation, Go menu and menu bar...

Comment

Dropdown=menubar in BV toolbar
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Okay, I am ready to pull my hair out! OUCH! Well, not really, but the thought has crossed my trouble-shot mind. You see, I am still in the learning phase and I have my website published, but uhmmm. the navigtion links do not work, except for website links!

I do not know how to get my file links to work with the navigation bar. I have tried so many combinations that I am totally... confused. You might say, "Just watch the tutorial." Well, I live out on a farm in the country and we only have dial up. Therefore, the connection for the video freezes and just when I think I might be able to brainstorm the answer. The picture freezes. HAHAHA. Good thing I can still...laugh. However, that could now be the result of "frustraion!" Is there a CD of the BlueVoda builder with all the tutorials on it? That certainly could help. Not to mention, I do need a step by step demo or instructions on how to get linked htmls to upload into the navigation bar. Can anyone please help me? I'm exhausted. I admit, I have FRIED my brain. sniff...sniff. I knew I smelt something burning. Thanks for ANY help.

Dorene...

Comment

Working...
          X