PDA

View Full Version : Restricting access to websites

robs01
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
(vodahost: main domain = hatvani.com) the domain i'm developing though is miniatureperfume.com. i consider myself a "newbie" since my web design skills are only basic static pages.

i have a site that i want to publish and basic info/pics will be available to anyone but more detailed stuff is for members only. once registration is done then access is granted.

what is the best way of achieving this? i understand that password protecting a directory with all the restricted pages may be considered as "spamming" (?) by vodahost (that's my past experience anyway) and was told that i shouldn't do it.

by trawling through heaps of literature i've learnt that it can also be done with a database and setting access levels for certain pages. but all the stuff i've seen assumes that the reader has a vague idea of what they're doing! i have not been able to make sense of it all.

am i on the right/wrong track? any suggestions? any sources of good, clear and in depth info on how to do this?

thx in advance. i keep researching in the meantime...

zuriatman
05-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Check this out...................... (http://www.omni-secure.com/)

It can be modified to suite your requirement.

Collectors-info
05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Must admit i am not sure why a restricted area might be classed as spam, assuming there is not a lot of duplication going on.
But as zuriatman (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/members/zuriatman.html) suggested a good login system would be a good route to go down. Think a few members of the forum do this.

robs01
05-21-2010, 01:06 PM
thanks. i see from many other posts i have read thru that a diy solution isn't that simple. hmmmmnnnnn.

what about the security aspect? i have heard that javascript is easy to get thru, what about php scripts or the password protected directory methods?

not that it will need high security... but leave a door open and someone will eventually walk in.