Restricting access to websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting access to websites

(vodahost: main domain = hatvani.com) the domain i'm developing though is miniatureperfume.com. i consider myself a "newbie" since my web design skills are only basic static pages.

i have a site that i want to publish and basic info/pics will be available to anyone but more detailed stuff is for members only. once registration is done then access is granted.

what is the best way of achieving this? i understand that password protecting a directory with all the restricted pages may be considered as "spamming" (?) by vodahost (that's my past experience anyway) and was told that i shouldn't do it.

by trawling through heaps of literature i've learnt that it can also be done with a database and setting access levels for certain pages. but all the stuff i've seen assumes that the reader has a vague idea of what they're doing! i have not been able to make sense of it all.

am i on the right/wrong track? any suggestions? any sources of good, clear and in depth info on how to do this?

thx in advance. i keep researching in the meantime...

Re: Restricting access to websites

Check this out......................

It can be modified to suite your requirement.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Must admit i am not sure why a restricted area might be classed as spam, assuming there is not a lot of duplication going on.
      But as zuriatman suggested a good login system would be a good route to go down. Think a few members of the forum do this.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

thanks. i see from many other posts i have read thru that a diy solution isn't that simple. hmmmmnnnnn.

what about the security aspect? i have heard that javascript is easy to get thru, what about php scripts or the password protected directory methods?

not that it will need high security... but leave a door open and someone will eventually walk in.

Comment

Working...
        X