Oversized Page Widths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversized Page Widths

I have a client that owns a franchise and has gotten permission from corporate to do an individual site for her location that mirrors the corporate site.

The corporate site has a blue banner that stretches all the way across the width of the screen (css?) but still has background color on both sides of the main body. Here is the site I'm re-creating: http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com/

In re-creating this site, what issues might I run into if I just create the long blue banner at 1440, center a white shape/image under the blue banner, set my background color to match theirs and then center the page to fit the screen horizontally?

I'm thinking that since the page is centered horizontally that it should appear fine regardless a person's screen resolution settings, and I've checked it in a couple different browsers, but wanted to check with you all for additional insight.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott

My Web Design Site

Re: Oversized Page Widths

If you create a long blue banner at 1440, people using small monitors will get sideways scroll.

You can get around this in BV by creating a long thin vertical slice background image that you can put into page properties. This slice will repeat itself across the page. Monitor size is irelevant. For your main page content make no wider than 1024. In actuall fact if you are copying the example make it 980 wide and centre the page.
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Thanks Darren. Great tip. I've never done a slice but know what you're talking about. When I create the slice, it is pretty thin width-wise. My concern/question is when I create the vertical length of the slice, will all of my pages always be that same length? Some of the pages I will have may not even need to scroll down to see all the info, where others you will.

With the slice as a background property, does the page disregard the length of the slice and determine the length based on actual content of the page? What length would you recommend using for the slice?

Thanks in advance,
      Scott
      Scott

My Web Design Site

Comment

The slice will be your "background image" using BlueVoda and will NOT effect the overall page length.

To double check this, right-click in the margin of the page and select "page properties" and you will see the overall length of your page...you can shorten it, lengthen it...to fit your needs.

Hope this helps.
        Jason
        Check out these sites made exclusively with BlueVoda!

Powerline1000.com
        ObePro.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheBulldog View Post
          Thanks Darren. Great tip. I've never done a slice but know what you're talking about. When I create the slice, it is pretty thin width-wise. My concern/question is when I create the vertical length of the slice, will all of my pages always be that same length? Some of the pages I will have may not even need to scroll down to see all the info, where others you will.

With the slice as a background property, does the page disregard the length of the slice and determine the length based on actual content of the page? What length would you recommend using for the slice?

Thanks in advance,
          Scott
          You'll have to watch the length, because the BG image will repaeat itself as you go down the page. I tend to decide how long my longest page will be before hand and make my BG image according to that. Sometimes I make two, one short and one long. If your page is short, it won't matter if you use a long one. The site your in your example has the content on a white background, you can use a white square and how much you stretch it vertically will determine the length/ end of your page
          Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Darren and Jason,

Thank you very much for your insight and suggestions. Made my first slice and it worked perfectly!!
            Scott

My Web Design Site

Comment

Working...
            X