Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download Link Problem

My website is http:www/progresslanguage.com

I want to make a download page so that people can direct download .pdf file.

I do not want the .pdf file to open up as an image in the same page (self_ or another page (blank).

I do not want to embed the .pdf file so that it appears on the page interactively.

What I want is to have an image or button so that when visitors click on the image or button, a popup box will appear; something like this:

So far, I have read over 50 or 60 posts. The problem is that when people have problems exactly like I have now, and they get help, and they solve the problems, they only say things like, "Hey, thank you. Problem solved!", but they do not say what they did to solve the problem. I hate it it when that happens because it is anti-climactic. DOH!

Also, the solutions I have read only talk about embedding, showing or FTP'ing.

What I need is a tutorial on:

Putting the image on the page in my BV builder and right clicking to open up properties
    -Which Link type do I use?
    -What URL do I use for the file that I have in my public folder?
    -Bookmark setting? Does this matter?
    -Target settings? This shouldn't matter because I do not want a page to open up; I want a download dialog box to appear.

Please refer me to a tutorial. I have spent over two hours searching the forum using various search terms and all I get is the above responses. I feel this is a fair amount of time to justify a new thread to request help.

Thank you so kindly.

John

Re: Download Link Problem

PS: If you go to my home page and scroll down to the bottom, you will see a small blue dot in the LH side below the little green puppet. It is a test for my download. I selected the "glass button" in the BV builder for this exercise.

I FTP'd the file, visa.pdf, to my public folder.

In my BV builder, I right clicked on properties and set the "Link" to the following:

Link Type: HTTP
    URL: http://www.progresslanguage.com/visa.pdf
    Bookmark: I left this blank ('tried everything else)
    Target: I left this blank (tried everything else)

I published the page.

On the page when I hover, I see http://www.progresslanguage.com/visa.pdf in the lower LH gray bar on my window.

When I click on the blue dot, a page appears in the same window with the PDF.

I do not want this. I want the dialog box that asks if I want to view or save to a folder.

How?

I will leave this on the page for awhile, until I get a solution. Thank you again in advance.

Comment

To get the pop up box as you mentioned you will need a zip file

Most PC's have the facility to create zip files these days, if not you'll have to download a program.

Right Click the pdf file and sent to > Compressed (Zipped) Folder. This will autosave within the folder you are already in. Upload this folder which will be named visa.zip

Download link will be http://www.progresslanguage.com/visa.zip

All the best!
      Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Dear Darren C

It worked!

What I did exactly:

I put the pdf file in my C:\Documents and Settings\Webmaster\My Documents\BlueVoda folder.

Next I right clicked and selected "add to archive...", selected ".zip" and clicked OK, and created the "visa.zip"

Then I opened up BV FTP from my BV Builder at the very top of the screen:
        Tools > FTP Manager... > User ID & PW.

I then did a click & drag on the "visa.zip" file and dragged it directly into my .../public_html folder.

Then I opened up the index page again and went to the bottom and right clicked on the "blue dot" under the puppet man's foot. Basically, any you choose that has the "link" option in the BV Builder's "Properties" section when you right-click on it.

Blue Dot: Right Click > properties > Link > Link Type (HTTP) > URL (http://www.progresslanguage.com/visa.zip) > Book Mark (left blank) > Target (left blank) > Popup (didn't bother with) > clicked OK!

Then I selected the "Publish" button and verified that the "Folder:" was set to "public_html", and for the files, I selected "Publish changed files only".

Clicked "Published" and got a "Change Successful" and went online to my home page and clicked on the blue dot and got the desired Download Popup Box asking me if I want to open or save the file.

BOOM, as Danny on CSI NY would say!

So, thank you very much. The nice thing about this is that I also know how to embed (Thanks Karen) and simply do a style where the doc or pdf opens in another window.

Cheers,

John

Comment

Working...
        X