PDA

View Full Version : How to protect a Single Page?

Sperry73lp
08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Hello,

I am looking to make a page on our website protected so that anyone who comes to the page needs to log in before viewing the page. I found the BlueVoda's option to protect a single page and tried using that, but am not too sure if it is exactly what I am looking for. When I preview it, there are codes all over the page and there are two boxes to enter the information; however the left side says password but the login text is in the other box instead of outside like the password text. Is this only because I am previewing it? Is there anyway for you to see what I am talking about?

The other thing I am trying to do, is create only one user name and one password for those who we chose to give them entrance to the page. Is there anyway of doing this? If so, how can I program the specific user name and password to that page login?

Please Help... Would love to get this fixed soon. Thanks so very much!

Marincky
08-17-2010, 11:07 PM
click on any of these links on this page

http://www.jamesandbarbaraphotography.co.uk/online_gallery.html

Is this what you want it to do?

Sperry73lp
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Yes. This is exactly what I am talking about! How can I accomplish that for my page? Thank you so much!

Marincky
08-17-2010, 11:26 PM
In Bluevoda....

Insert > Login > Protect page

Sperry73lp
08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Thats all I have to do? That seems really simplistic. No needed format to make it look the way it does on that website? How do I set the password that will unlock the page?

Marincky
08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Sorry I gave you wrong information...

It's Insert > Login > Single Page Protection, my fault sorry

Thats all you need to do yes, it really is that simple. When you add the single page protection, double click on the box, add a password, publish.

KeithN
08-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Sounds simple, but I must be doing something wrong. It doesn't work for me: I get a 404 "page not found" error when I click on the link to the protected page.

Marincky
08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Will help if you publish the page to the server

KeithN
08-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, thanks for that. I published the page with its password protection, then publish the index page with the link to the new page, but clicking that link brings up a 404 error.

Marincky
08-18-2010, 11:00 PM
what;s your website address, and what's the password to the log-in page (you can always change it later)

KeithN
08-18-2010, 11:15 PM
The website test page is www.wvnet.co.uk/logintest.html (http://www.wvnet.co.uk/logintest.html). the password is 'letmein'. I've just confirmed its in the public folder, and now, if I type it as above, it takes me straight to the page without asking for a password, although the padlock is not visible (as I would expect).

Marincky
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
where is the page i go to to login?

KeithN
08-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Index page, top left-ish.

Marincky
08-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Make the test page a php page by changing the extension in the page properties. Then publish this page. Then take the html page off the server. Then try again

Sperry73lp
08-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Thank you so much for helping me with this! =) I appreciate it very much.

KeithN
08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks very much for your help with this, everyone. Still no joy, but I can't see what's wrong. I have to leave now. I'll be away for a while, but I'll keep playing with it and let you know how I get on.
Bye for now
Keith

KeithN
08-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I've just tried it with another page, as a parting shot, and that didn't work either :(

I'm really puzzled, 'cos it's a great program and everything else works as advertised. I really can't see what else to try. Never mind. I'tll just have to wait.
Bye

Keith

KeithN
08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I do notice that there is something else going on here:

http://www.jamesandbarbaraphotography.co.uk/aprilandkyle/aprilandkyle.php

There appears to be an additional file appearing upon clicking the link: /aprilandkyle/aprilandkyle.php

Is this relevant?
Keith