This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appear little boxes in my text ! HELP please

I have made a little change on my homepage and after republishing the page, on every letter in the text where there should be an accent, now there is no letter but only a small rectangular box.
    www.casadelriomocoa.com
    The font is COMIC sans MS, a font known everywhere. It always worked fine in the past, even after making changes.
    The only thing that might have had an influence, I don't know.. I reformatted my PC and have putted everything again on the PC.
    Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem?
    Thank you
    FILIP

Re: appear little boxes in my text ! HELP please

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE??
    It is quite urgent for me
    Thanks.

Filip G.
    www.casadelriomocoa.com

Comment

Apparently, your newly 're-formatted' system no longer supports accent marks over letters as originally designed in the font style you chose, and upon re-publishing, you overwrote your earlier published (and acceptable) page version.

You can either re-compose your written Content in Word (copy what you have now and paste directly into a new Word Documant) and make changes in Word (if Word supports the accent marks you require in the font you desire), and then paste directly into a textbox in BV to replace the text currently there, and then re-publish.

You may wish to set your web pages to "Center in Browser" for best display as well, as long as you will be re-publishing them (set this option in Page Properties).

When you paste into a BV textbox, text will 'inherit' the formatting set in Word, despite BV's sometimes inconveneint inability to directly compose in a textbox likewise.

PS: Also check to see if you reset your Windows Language selection after "re-formatting" ... did you select a Spanish Language display and ability originally and forgot to reselect? This may account for the lack of traditional symbols being available for your fonts ...
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you Vasili,

I'll try your suggestions.
        The strange thing is, that I see the accents on the page when typing them but when I look at the preview they al change to little boxes.

Lets try

Thanks

Comment

Try recomposing in either Arial or Tahoma (the Helvetica family of fonts supports most generic symbols and keyboard options, whereas Comic and other 'web-safe' fonts may not ... especially when using Vista or Windows7). It is difficult enough trying to successfully maintain real interactivity betweent the various OS and browser versions people use in combination to recommend a single solution.

You may have to find an acceptable compromise if unable to solve accordingly ....

Comment

I have copied the text to Word, I have overwrite every letter on wich I have an accent with again the same letter with accent. I have pasted the text to BV and have republished the page,
            but it didn't change.
            Every letter with an accent stays a little box, als in my preview.

The language of my re-formatted PC is English, the same as it was before...

Comment

Dunno what else to suggest.
              1. Check Windows Language selection ... opt for Spanish (so inflection marks are 'activated' for all fonts)?
              2. Experiment with basic fonts?
              3. May even wish to RESTORE computer back to a time when you knew things were properly working ... note the differences in ALL the OS settings, and change accordingly when restoring back to today??

You will need to be your own detective, since it is just you in front of your computer, unless you provide more concrete information for any of us to be more helpful than offer suggestions ...

Oh! And don't forget to Center in Browser your pages .... make it look great, not just good!

Comment

1/ I changed the font to Verdana with exactly the same result. ´ this accent and the ñ letter don't appear.. only small boxes.

2/ I have changed the language from Spanish to Dutch ( where my computer was installed and formatted years ago) then back to Colombian Spanish, without results

3/ I cannot go back to a restore point since this was my first republishing after having reformatted my PC

My system already had more than one Windows update. I have Windows XP. Maybe I have to try to update more my system.. Maybe I still don't have al the service packs installed.
                It is strange.. everything went fine before reformatting my PC

Comment

Now I am quite sure that it has nothing to do with the font because even in ARIAL I have the same problem.
                  I ll try playing some more with the windows language option and maybe restart my PC everytime I change this.

Comment

Originally posted by Filipg View Post
                    3/ I cannot go back to a restore point since this was my first republishing after having reformatted my PC

My system already had more than one Windows update. I have Windows XP. Maybe I have to try to update more my system.. Maybe I still don't have all the service packs installed.
                    It is strange.. everything went fine before reformatting my PC
                    XP must have SP3 installed to run properly on the updated platforms ... hopefully this will help, as well as updating to IE8??

Comment

....there is always the alternative to save your text as an image, whereby it will be reproduced exactly as you typed it. Only drawback is the search engines don't like it too much........
                      just a thought....I've done this a lot with "unfriendly" fonts for example, but I don't care about the SE's cause my site is just a personal one anyway.......
                      Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Thanks for the tip AHimsa,
                        That would be a solucion, but in my case the search engines are very important.
                        And Vasili, can you tell me what means IE8? The servicepack 3 is installed.. same result.

Comment

It is to crazy, imagine : you write text no matter in what font or in wich program, you put in in BLuevoda.. everything fine, the letters appear with their accents. When you ask a preview or if you republish, the letters dissapear and appear little boxes instead.
                          ???
                          I tried playing with languages in Windows, but nothing helps

Comment

Originally posted by Filipg View Post
                            Thanks for the tip AHimsa,
                            That would be a solucion, but in my case the search engines are very important.
                            And Vasili, can you tell me what means IE8? The servicepack 3 is installed.. same result.
                            Internet Explorer 8 (the latest MS browser version)

It has to be a setting on your computer, as BV will save only whatever has been formatted/resolved according to the platform functions of the local server (your Hard Drive). I would be pounding my head on the wall were I in your place, trying to figure out what has been changed due to your "reformatting" .....

Comment

Yeah I am thinking and thinking.. try to figger out what it could be..
                              The strangest thing is that it appears correctly on my screen but publishing it causes the malfuncion..
                              Maybe I should use another PC if I can organize me, but it will be a lot of work to put again all the fotos in the correct map and place and or changing the directory of every foto on every page of my website..

Comment

Working...
                              X