New website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New website

Hi, firstly a big thank you to BV, I have now got a my first website online www.norfolkbirding.com - and thanks to you guys this has proven a lot easier than I ever thought it would be.

I am still learning - and have lots of questions but here is a few of the simple ones.

On my flat screen at home my website fits across the page, at work on my old monitor it is too wide and you have to scroll across using the scroll bar is there a width i should be setting the page properties to that would solve this?

Secondly I have a links across the top of each page to other pages, on one of the pages the link does not appear to work, but when I check the other pages where it does work I appear to have the URL set exactly the same?
    Anyone got a clue why?
    I notice that I have the URL listed twice (exactly the same) on the drop down menu when you have the choices from previously typed URL's - is this part of the problem - if so I have not found a way of removing them?

When I have altered existing pages offline in BV I have just send them to be published does this automatically overwrite the existing?

Apologies for all the question listed together - but this is my first set of questions and my website is up and running - so I felt i have done okay so far!

Thanks in advance Chris

Re: New website

On my flat screen at home my website fits across the page, at work on my old monitor it is too wide and you have to scroll across using the scroll bar is there a width i should be setting the page properties to that would solve this?

You have probably a 1024X768 laptop and a 800x600 desktop, and this causes the problem. Pages are usually set to width 800 to avoid this problem

Secondly I have a links across the top of each page to other pages, on one of the pages the link does not appear to work, but when I check the other pages where it does work I appear to have the URL set exactly the same?
    Anyone got a clue why?

Provide the URLs so we can check.

I notice that I have the URL listed twice (exactly the same) on the drop down menu when you have the choices from previously typed URL's - is this part of the problem - if so I have not found a way of removing them?

Just delete and re-type in correctly.

When I have altered existing pages offline in BV I have just send them to be published does this automatically overwrite the existing?

The old pages are simply overwriten.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

People have their monitors set at different page resolutions - which is why many websites, when you open them, have so much space on either side of them or all to the right of them. The smallest resolution is 800x600 (800 wide) and if you wanted to be sure that no one would scroll right and left, you'd have to make your page no wider than 800. You can change the resolution on your computer to get an idea. Also, people will have different size screens. Which will also effect how the page appears - but the scrolling is almost always caused by screen resolution. If you select to use something bigger than 800 wide, you'll be accepting that all those at smaller resolutions will have to scroll - the question to decide for yourself - is how much higher a resolution do you want to go. Personally, I wouldn't make it wider than 1024 x 768 at any time.

I'd have to be able to see your links you are talking about to hazard a guess here.

Publishing a page automatically overwrites the previous page.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

The bird Pics doesnt work because you have a dot "." at the end of the link http://www.norfolkbirding.com/norfolkbirdpics.html. take the dot off and it will work
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Nice when 2 of us type simultaneously and give the same info!
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Bethers, sorry for that
            Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Bethers & Navaldesign Thanks ever so much - I can't believe how great this set up is - hope you enjoyed my pics. My photography is hopefully a little better than my web design thus far - again thanks for your help!

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X