The Stove Depot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stove Depot

My whole website works perfectly when i type the url in the address bar.
    However in Google webmaster tools when i check crawler access i keep getting the message http 404 page not found.
    Does anyone know how this can be solved, as my homepage plus a couple of others is nowhere to be found on any search engines.

Also please give your honest opinion on my first website attempt

www.stovedepot.co.uk

Many thanks

Re: Couple of questions

Apparently you are still messing around unsuccessfully with Google tools, and may still have some errors to clean up after your last experience (as posted in this thread > Expert help required )

Do you still have a couple versions of your index page on the server? (reason I ask is because the Menubar on your 'Home' page looks totally messed up when copmpared to your interior pages).

Also, you need to properly complete your Page Title in Page Properties: as of now, you have conflicting entries, for in your META your Page Title is full descriptive, but not on the General Page Title page.

Again ... the basics .... your "index" page will not specifically "show up" in a tool list, as it is by default THE page of you website. People do not Search for your "index" page ... they Search for your site, and possibly other pages assumed to have specific info on them (i.e. "Stove Depot, Contact, telephone number" which should return with yout Contact page. Understand?).

I personally think you are rushing the Search Engines to cache your site and give you the accolades you assume you deserve before they are finished doing what they do best, despite some errors in basic web building still present in your site.

A. Fix your funky Menu (the textual layout, and make sure the links in the index page navigation are correct as this is the navigational path the SE's follow by default in accordance to any sitemap you may have created)
    B. Complete your META and Titles speifically for each page;
    C. Double-check that your Page Content is properly formatted and optimized to support the tags you have associated with them.

Give the SE's at least 60 days to complete their functions (any professional SEO program runs at least 90 days before real solid Metrics are attained, BTW), and THEN report any anomolys.

PS: Have you ever considered the very poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation of your Content in conjunction with the less than optimal layout of elements (overlapping, not aligned, improperly formatted, etc.) throughout the site and quite prominently on only certain pages contributing to the aversion of the SE's to properly value your pages due to them finding them below the normal expectations? Just a thought.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hi Vasili
      Thank you for the reply, obviously the fundamental problem I have is a total lack of knowledge where website building is concerned:)

Perhaps you can assist me with a couple of points.

1/. On the sitemap generator site it states:Go to your Google Webmaster account and add your sitemap URL. This is what I attempted to do, and while I was there I checked out the other stuff on there, however the only thing listed is the sitemap. (Do I now leave this or delete it) thx
      2/. I possibly have a couple of versions of my index page on the server as you describe, how can I put this right? where do I delete the wrong ones? Thx The final one I simply labelled index before publishing
      3/. The menu bar, where do I find the problems? I am a complete novice the menu bar is what states Home Contact etc?
      4/. I do not understand how the links are wrong, as everything seems to link together ok please can you give me an example. Thx
      5/. (Double-check that your Page Content is properly formatted and optimized to support the tags you have associated with them). Can you give me an example please. Thx
      6/.) PS: Have you ever considered the very poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation of your Content in conjunction with the less than optimal layout of elements (overlapping, not aligned, improperly formatted, etc.) throughout the site and quite prominently on only certain pages contributing to the aversion of the SE's to properly value your pages due to them finding them below the normal expectations? Just a thought)
      7/.Please can you give me an example of (overlapping, not aligned, improperly formatted, etc.) Thx
      I don't think my spelling is that poor, but I will attend to the punctuation.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated Thank you NBrown

Comment

....re Grammar, etc. here's a quick example on your opening page:

The Stove Depot stocks woodburning stoves, multifuel stoves, flue pipe and flue systems. We deliver throughout the UK, (& if you mean the UK then the folks in N.Ireland are going to be ticked off at your next few words!) England, Scotland, Wales. Stoves supplied by the following manufacturers, ACR, Dimplex, Esse, Dunsley Heat, Franco Belge, Hamlet Stoves, Firebelly, Nordpeis, Valor, Westfire. If the manufacturer of your choice is not listed, please ask! (plus more wood burning, and multi fuel manufacturers available please ask!)

The flue systems we stock are by Midtherm. We have stove pipes, vi****us pipes, twinwall flue pipes, stainless steel flexible flue liners, chimney pots, spinning cowls; in fact everything you require to fit your new woodburning, or multifuel (so, is "multifuel" 1 word or 2? See last line in above para) stove.

The Stove Depot is located in Hancock & Brown, which has been established 33 years so you can purchase your wood burner, or multi_fuel stove and stove pipes with confidence. You can also check our credibility (feedback) (are 'credibility' & 'feedback' the same thing? Credibility usually means proof of integrity, honesty, etc. Feedback can be - & often is lol - negative as well as positive; although I doubt if you'd be so unwise as to publish any negative feedback LOL) and purchase via our ebay store. Sorry, but this sentence infers that that readers may check your credibility at your Ebay store!! Needs rewording, which I'm sure you can do :)

IMPORTANT!
        You can access the stove manufacturers' websites by clicking their logos on the LHS menu. Here you will find in-depth information on all types of woodburning stoves and multifuel stoves. Then click any price list tab on this homepage to obtain up to date low prices on any stove or flue pipes, and accessories.

.....and then......

You are more than welcome to visit our premises to view the wood burner or multifuel stove of your choice. You can also purchase a complete stove and flue / stove pipe package if you wish to receive a discount. The majority of our stoves are manufactured in the UK by Dunsley Heat, Esse, and Hamlet stoves, and the quality is excellent. Please feel free to telephone us. We are not a faceless web site, and you will be impressed by the level of customer care we offer. Thank you.

I haven't gone any further..............

Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Ahimsa

Thank you for your input, I knew I shouldn't have rushed the text this morning before I published the pages:)

However we do not deliver to N Ireland, but perhaps you are correct I should state UK except N Ireland.

As far as multifuel or multi fuel, both are used so I have included both.

I will check every page for errors as I am usually very careful, it just confirms that rushing does not pay off.

Thank you NBrown

re Grammar, etc. here's a quick example on your opening page:

The Stove Depot stocks woodburning stoves, multifuel stoves, flue pipe and flue systems. We deliver throughout the UK, (& if you mean the UK then the folks in N.Ireland are going to be ticked off at your next few words!) England, Scotland, Wales. Stoves supplied by the following manufacturers, ACR, Dimplex, Esse, Dunsley Heat, Franco Belge, Hamlet Stoves, Firebelly, Nordpeis, Valor, Westfire. If the manufacturer of your choice is not listed, please ask! (plus more wood burning, and multi fuel manufacturers available please ask!)

The flue systems we stock are by Midtherm. We have stove pipes, vi****us pipes, twinwall flue pipes, stainless steel flexible flue liners, chimney pots, spinning cowls; in fact everything you require to fit your new woodburning, or multifuel (so, is "multifuel" 1 word or 2? See last line in above para) stove.

The Stove Depot is located in Hancock & Brown, which has been established 33 years so you can purchase your wood burner, or multi_fuel stove and stove pipes with confidence. You can also check our credibility (feedback) (are 'credibility' & 'feedback' the same thing? Credibility usually means proof of integrity, honesty, etc. Feedback can be - & often is lol - negative as well as positive; although I doubt if you'd be so unwise as to publish any negative feedback LOL) and purchase via our ebay store. Sorry, but this sentence infers that that readers may check your credibility at your Ebay store!! Needs rewording, which I'm sure you can do :)

IMPORTANT!
          You can access the stove manufacturers' websites by clicking their logos on the LHS menu. Here you will find in-depth information on all types of woodburning stoves and multifuel stoves. Then click any price list tab on this homepage to obtain up to date low prices on any stove or flue pipes, and accessories.

.....and then......

You are more than welcome to visit our premises to view the wood burner or multifuel stove of your choice. You can also purchase a complete stove and flue / stove pipe package if you wish to receive a discount. The majority of our stoves are manufactured in the UK by Dunsley Heat, Esse, and Hamlet stoves, and the quality is excellent. Please feel free to telephone us. We are not a faceless web site, and you will be impressed by the level of customer care we offer. Thank you.

I haven't gone any further..............

Comment

Stamati

Thank you for your input I appreciate it, and will take your ideas on board.

Cheers

Nigel

Comment

Please view

Please can you view the website I have built and let me know of any text overlapping errors etc, and any advice on improvement of the site would be greatly appreciated.

www.stovedepot.co.uk

Thank you

Comment

Re: Please view

...hey,
                I see you amended the UK thing but there is still some uncorrected grammar/punctuation to be addressed as outlined previously....plus I now see this:

You can access the stove manufacturers websites by clicking their logos on the LHS men.

Sorry, but I couldn't find any "LHS men" to click on lol

keep tweaking :)
                Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Re: Please view

Thanks for the input:)

Comment

Working...
                  X