Is Thinking Passe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Thinking Passe?

In no way, shape, or form am I trying to stroke my own ego or give into arrogance, but I find myself continually frustrated trying to diplomatically deal with the growing sense that the world no longer feels compelled to actually THINK for themselves anymore .... as if being "Politically Correct" and personally unaccountable for the last 10 or so years has allowed the trend of doing less, thinking less, and "skating" as much as possible to somehow be elevated to an acceptable Norm, since it has not been challenged openly nor had enough people take a stand and raise a voice of opposition to it.

Am I alone in sensing this wave of mediocracy and cancerous lethargy compounded with blase logic and simple ability to text on a mobile device rather than complete a full sentence using more than seven 3 or more syllable words grow beyond a socio-trend into a threat to society?

Seriously! In a Forum environment as this, much of the fumbling of concepts is largely due to the global communication skills and English being not the native tongue of more than half of the Members .... we get that. That alone has a lot to do with how learning and thinking processes differ ... this too is understood and relaxed as much as possible.

I guess I am merely focused on the minority that has become the majority .... those who are taking advantage of this era of non-accountability and who have essentiall become ineffectual people --- just living mounds of flesh in the world that consume more than contribute or earn.

AM I ALONE IN THIS OBSERVATION?

Those that have been in VodaLand for a while know me for who I am .... completely transparent, totally up-front, whacko sense of humor, deep dedication to being happy and sharing a smile, so on and so forth. They also know I really do know a lot about web stuff, and tear my hair out trying to write reply posts in order to stuff more info into fewer (less likely to be mis-interpretable) words so people can get more than what they were seeking ....

Lord knows, those VodaFriends that are connected with me on Facebook see just how easy-going and in the center of things I am, how I am Mr. Nice Guy and all .... but dealing with this "Unthinking Era" is really getting to me, especially in these Forums: it's almost as if people go out of their way to "test" the Moderators, or to pester people and pick their brains as much as they can for free before being found out and moving off to another hosting community ....

What to do, what to do .....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Re: Is Thinking Passe?

What to do?

Continue to do exactly as you do now. This way there will be at least one eloquent person in this world!

My own children have been raised to speak properly, but society plays a great role in altering what they consider correct. My daughter recently said she was "conversating". Good Lord, where have I gone wrong?! haha

A pet peeve of mine is incorrect grammar or spelling in published text. Where are the proof readers?

The mind is a terrible thing to waste...
    Vicki

www.staceygoldendesigns.net

Comment

I haven't time to answer properly now, but I will point out that Vasili is likely the only person on the worldwide web that knows the difference between loose and lose...
      CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
      CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
      CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
        I haven't time to answer properly now, but I will point out that Vasili is likely the only person on the worldwide web that knows the difference between loose and lose...
        Huh? I'm glad you dint axe me nuttin 'bout spelling or grammertistics!

How come we can't have fun in VodaLand like we used to? Why is everyone wrapped so tight and walking on eggshells?
        Too many Newbies that can't seem to fit in quickly with their lack of refined personal skills that end up pushing us into an awkward formality, or what?
        You know when I noticed it? It was when I was moving to Florida from California in February of '09 ..... I was supposed to meet up with Ken in Sedona, and Mike in Dallas. Somehow didn't meet either after all, and after I arrived in FL and hooked back up online it seems most everyone had dropped out of sight ....
        I've spoken on the phone with Holly, "VodaHost", and two other Vodaliens and a half dozen other members in the past month, but things are still not quite the same, ya know?

No more After Hours Lounge, Piano Bar, etc. Even on Facebook the "clubs" we created are empty. Like the song says, "we are only dust in the wind..."
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Patience View Post
          A pet peeve of mine is incorrect grammar or spelling in published text. Where are the proof readers?
          I agree, Vicki, but one must remember that not everyone has the benefit of high quality English teachers during their years of education......not to mention the very large numbers of website builders whose first language is not English. For a lot of these folk, to pay for a professional proof-reader is not an option; and their friends are probably from a similar background. Purely as a hobby, I choose to "proof" sites as they come up for review, but I just don't have the time to read through all the pages of all the sites. Hopefully, by pointing out some blatant errors on their index pages I can hint that some real checking needs to be done throughout the site.

Tom: you'd be surprised how many of us know the difference lol

Eric: You know, I've only been a resident of VodaLand for a sniff short of 2 years but I too notice the change in "contributors" since I first appeared. Maybe it's all down to the 'hard times' many folk are experiencing? But......times change....& people change: jobs; partners; health; where they live...& with all that their priorities also sometimes change. With all the s**t that's going on out there in the "real" world, a lot of people have lost the way to have fun! And so, Generalissimo, that is EXACTLY why we need you....... stick around a while lol

...and on we go
          Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Originally posted by ahimsa View Post
            I agree, Vicki, but one must remember that not everyone has the benefit of high quality English teachers during their years of education......not to mention the very large numbers of website builders whose first language is not English.
            oh dear...I was referring to a local magazine that was full of errors. In no way did I intend to insult anyone in Vodaland. Perfect, I am not....but if I were being paid to publish a magazine, it would be proofread.

That's my story..and I'm sticking to it :)
            Vicki

www.staceygoldendesigns.net

Comment

Working...
            X