X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitemap

How do I get a sitemap from BV?
    Somehow I lost the oversight of my site... it's big... there appear a large number of 404 - page not found messages, so there must be a number of broken links. I'll have redo all these. Would a sitemap help?
    www.gabor-music.com

Re: Sitemap

Creating or updating a sitemap will not help fix broken links ... these you must fix yourself either by re-publishing missing pages or by correcting the links themselves (making sure they are pointing to the right pages, spelled right, and by verifying other pages if they are outbound links, etc.).

There were a lot of posts about xml-sitemaps a couple of weeks ago, so search the forum for those. You will understand a lot better once you read them.
    The sitemap tool itself is under Tools in BV, but it does not create an xml file, which is preferred. Be sure to study the Tutorials.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Creating or updating a sitemap will not help fix broken links ... these you must fix yourself either by re-publishing missing pages or by correcting the links themselves (making sure they are pointing to the right pages, spelled right, and by verifying other pages if they are outbound links, etc.).
      Thank you Tom, but this much I had known for a while...

However, a BV-generated sitemap should show where and how the links connect including where they are broken - which we will then fix with our own little hands...

So, paying heed to BV's frequent suggestions to do so, it's finally time to download version 11. - right?
      www.gabor-music.com

Comment

I dunno .... seems quite a few are having difficulties with it running smoothly on their system, especially on Vista. I would imagine Windows7 Users are also not up to speed even configuring their OS let alone making surte BV runs seamlessly with all the new Features (which may or not be as stable as they could be), since the field of persons having difficulty are evenly split between Vista and W7.
        But then, that's just from what I've seen and tried to respond to in the Forums .... all too much, it seems....

Downloading a newer version of BV does not make fixing the links any easier.
        And truthfully, I recommend creating a sitemap from an external source as well ( http://www.xml-sitemaps.com which also creates robots.txt files and others automatically), and you can use far more of the basic tools found here than rely on the simple BV built-in ones ..... so why upgrade BV? Decisions, decisions ....

PS: You'll find a brief tip on xml sitemaps and robots files in this post.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

It was YOU, guys, (BV, that is) who frequently recommended (prodded) to download 11, partly as a fix-it-all (that was when I've transferred my site to a new computer. From which I've purged Windows 7...)
          www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Vasili, I've read the post you suggested.

Now I can go to bed all happy, free of care and with a general feeling of: WOW!
            (I could use an emoticon here...)

Thanks.
            www.gabor-music.com

Comment

Originally posted by gabor View Post
              It was YOU, guys, (BV, that is) who frequently recommended (prodded) to download 11, partly as a fix-it-all (that was when I've transferred my site to a new computer. From which I've purged Windows 7...)
              Look! I am not "VH" or "BV" ... I am just "V" (Vasili), a Peer-User that has been around for a while (obviously), and volunteers to help people out by sharing my knowledge, insight, and experience whenever the opportunity arises: I am not paid, nor acknowledged for the contributions I have made to this Community (for your success) and in trying to standardize the solutions people encounter that may seem unique and personally challenging, they are really mis-steps out of processes and procedures that are inflexible. Having people equipped with the latest version of BV and using the provided tools and measures in a uniform manner solves 99.9% of the problems Users experience.
              Holding the line is what I do as Moderator, as well as try to find the best manner in which to encourage, support, and enlighten my peers. I try to keep things fun and moving smoothly .... and it is definitely not easy much of the time.

Which is why I provided you with proven 'Tips" that will make your life easier with less effort required when dealing with sitemaps and the concept of sitemapping. Or did you miss that?

Originally posted by gabor View Post
              Vasili, I've read the post you suggested.
              Now I can go to bed all happy, free of care and with a general feeling of: WOW!
              (I could use an emoticon here...)

Thanks.

.... and on we go!
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
              X