Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OsCommerce through BV installation

Hi There,

So, I should start by saying that though I've become happily savvy with BV over the last 3 years, this Oscommerce has me scratching my head. I have spent 3 hours going through these forums, and found that many people seem to have similar questions as me, but only some of the answers helped me -(and I know it's just my lack of experience that makes this so) So please be patient with me.

1) I installed oscommerce through fantastico in my cPanel as an add-on : www.mckaybiochemist.com/store. I am trying to change the background, logos etc. to somewhat match the website, obviously. (And yes, I did spend hours going through OsCommerce tutorials, but they refer to adding and changing things in the setup and files, which I don't have on my computer, as it was created directly through Fantastico, and not downloaded and saved in a folder as they imply).

-So I go to mckaybiochemist.com/store/admin and sign in, and then have all the cool little features that I can "add products" "change catergories" etc - but how the heck do I change the background and the logo to add mine? There is no "tools" or "view" that allow me to look at the HTML and change it, so how do I do it if that is the only access that I have to the files?
    Can anyone give me a "dumb blond" version or point me to a tutorial that gives me the steps to do this. Thanks so much.
    -Bianca

Re: OsCommerce through BV installation

Hi Bianca

I did play around with oscommerce, but just ended up pulling my hair out. I would pop along to the oscommerce forum and nose around there http://forums.oscommerce.com/

Good luck!!
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

When it comes to "customizing" osCommerce, this is done by editing the CSS stylesheets and the PHP formatted pages, swapping out images in the root folders, etc., that come with the templates: it is not something you do from within the Dashboard.

You will need to become a follower of the osCommerce Support Forums, where you will find the simple solutions to your questions already listed.
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Yip, I deffinately understood that. What I don't get is that when I load oscommerce through BV I don't have folders. So I download an Os template from BV, for example, and it comes with great instructions like: except it is #2 & 3 that I don't get, since it isn't installed like they say, but through BV which just gives me the dashboard. Where do I find these files they refer to? And the osCommerce tutorials on oscommerce is no help (unless I'm still over looking it), because they don't mention how to modify it if installed through fantastico on BV, like I did. I'm a little lost, to say the least.

HOW TO INSTALL:
        ---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Install a clean version of the osCommerce Milestone 2.2 Release (OSC 2.2MS2), run the install program and verify that everything works.
        2. Copy/replace files from "os010" folder (except psd and fonts directory) to their repective directories.
        3. Add these lines to your /catalog/includes/configure.php script. These lines should go before the final line with the ?> characters on it.
        // STS: ADD: Define Simple Template System files
        define('STS_START_CAPTURE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_start_capture.php');
        define('STS_STOP_CAPTURE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_stop_capture.php');
        define('STS_RESTART_CAPTURE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_restart_capture.php');
        define('STS_TEMPLATE_DIR', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_templates/');
        define('STS_DEFAULT_TEMPLATE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_template.html');
        define('STS_DISPLAY_OUTPUT', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_display_output.php');
        define('STS_USER_CODE', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_user_code.php');
        define('STS_PRODUCT_INFO', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'sts_product_info.php');
        // STS: EOADD

Thanks for your patience with me guys.

Comment

Working...
        X