X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing issues for a first timer

hi there,

Blue Voda is my first experience on website building. i have intentions of using bv for a few more websites, but wanted to get one really basic website up and going first. URL is www.coalenergyinc.com.

I initially was working on an index page based on the video tutorials, and tried to publish it on coalenergyinc.com. I didn't know that after registering, that it requires actually 48 hours for first timers before the website can be published. Currently its already been a little over 48 hours, however nothing published yet. I can only see various files on my webpage. Any idea on when it can be ready?

now i have made another index page using the BV Web builder, and i actually would like to publish that instead of the index page i published. Do i need to manually remove the files of the earlier practice index page and publish the web page i just made?

Thanks in advance for your help

Johnny

Re: Publishing issues for a first timer

It's published and there. The problem is simple to fix:

1. You have published two index pages. You can have only one.

2. One index page is called Index.html and the other is Index.php.

3. You need to decide which one you want to use as your index page.

4. Then you need to republish it as index. Notice the difference? It's lowercase. Always name your pages lowercase.

5. The extension (.html or .php) will be added automatically by BV. Just so you know, the .php is added to any page with a form on it.

6. The page that you choose NOT to use must be deleted from your server. Use Tools > FTP Manager for this. If you need help, ask.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

If I could figure out a way to combine the fine points each of you mentioned into one post, I would.

In the meantime, we'll enjoy the echoing ....
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

hi tom

thanks for the reply.

i did go to the ftp manager, and i deleted both index files, went on to BV Website Builder, republished it as index (in small case). However, when i typed www.coalenergyinc.com on my browser, i still see the all the files, including index.html. I actually had to click on to index.html then it took me to my page.

I was actually expecting that when i type in www.coalenergyinc.com, i was going to see the index page right away.

i hope to achieve the above, then i wanted to move on to publishing the subpages. i hope its not a major hurdle :(

thanks in advance

Johnny

Originally posted by Tom Finley View Post
        It's published and there. The problem is simple to fix:

1. You have published two index pages. You can have only one.

2. One index page is called Index.html and the other is Index.php.

3. You need to decide which one you want to use as your index page.

4. Then you need to republish it as index. Notice the difference? It's lowercase. Always name your pages lowercase.

5. The extension (.html or .php) will be added automatically by BV. Just so you know, the .php is added to any page with a form on it.

6. The page that you choose NOT to use must be deleted from your server. Use Tools > FTP Manager for this. If you need help, ask.

Comment

hi papa,

thanks for the reply. i did try using the control panel (file manager) however i did not see the Index html and Index php anymore as it was already deleted when i had used the FTP as advised by tom. i hope its not an issue.

i did republish though, and when i keyed in www.coalenergyinc.com, it again showed me the list of files, and the file index.html was there as well. when i clicked on index.html, it ended up forwarding to the index home page.

please advise on what to do.

thanks for the response. i appreciate this. i hope to publishing / linking subpages won't be complicated

Johnny

Originally posted by PapaBiker View Post
          Have you received your Welcome email, confirming that your account has been established, and which also includes all the details of how to access your Hosting Account at VodaHost?

If so, you will need to Logon to your Control Panel on Voda26 and delete both files you have "published" to your account: 1. "Index.html" and 2. "Index.php"

You will then need to open up the "Index.html" page you saved to Blue Voda, and using the commands EDIT > SAVE PAGE AS > save page as index (all lower case letters, sure that you have not changed the type of page to PHP in Page Properties)

All pages must be created, named, saved, and published with page titles using only lower case letters with no gaps, and you must only have one index page per website.

As it is now, you have created a conflict, with two "Index" pages (capitalized) each a different type(.html and .php).

Comment

hi vasili :) thanks

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
            If I could figure out a way to combine the fine points each of you mentioned into one post, I would.

In the meantime, we'll enjoy the echoing ....

Comment

Sorry, Johnny ..... apparently you did not Save and Publish your index page properly, as there is but one Index.html file still present.

Please re-visit your directory and delete this page before re-publishing the proper page, index.

Comment

Hi, Johnny

You have the index page working now--and your site is good for a first timer. Your next step: fix your links. Your link to Home should be http://www.coalenergyinc.com only (the web knows to open the index page). All other navigation links must have the page extension added to them (.html or .php)--your links on your pages are all missing these.
                CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

hi tom,

thanks for the reply. i appreciate the help.

now i am trying to figure out on how to publish the subpages. Are subpages defined as the other pages of the website (aside from the index)? sorry if i ask embarassing questions like this

Johnny

Comment

hi buddy. thanks very much. it worked :)

now i am trying to figure out on how to publish my subpages. i did try to publish my contact us page, unfortunately it is not publishing.

I think i did not name my site as www.coalenergyinc.com/contactus. Please advise on where am i supposed to set this?

thanks in advance.

Johnny

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                    Sorry, Johnny ..... apparently you did not Save and Publish your index page properly, as there is but one Index.html file still present.

Please re-visit your directory and delete this page before re-publishing the proper page, index.

Comment

Hi Papa,

thanks for your response. However, i apologize if i did not specify my question correctly. My concern is not about on how to make a form from scratch. BV has done a great job on explaining the step by step process in the tutorial.

however, what BV has not done is on how do i publish my other pages.

my website is www.coalenergyinc.com which is live now. As u can see on the index page, you can see menu buttons like home page, about coal, spec sheet, our role, etc... each of them i have already assigned a url. for example, for the about coal button, it is already set on the menu that it should be directed to www.coalenergyinc.com/aboutcoal. If somebody clicks on to specsheet, the menu already has the URL as www.coalenergyinc.com/generalcoalspecs.

All my pages for this are ready. my problem now is, how do i publish them? am i supposed to create another directory? if yes, where? i have been publishing everything on public_html.

I have tried to dig as much info as i can on the tutorial and the support forums, however could not get any information.

hope u can help.

thanks papa.

johnny

Comment

So, Ian .... when are you going to learn to let people stand up or fall on their own?
                        BP: SHOW ME DA MONEY!

Comment

hi Papa,

i appreciate the speedy reply.

i followed exactly as what you have said. I published the glossary page. I did all the above, left the field "public_html/" blank and published it.

Does it need time before it gets published? like maybe a day or so? i went on to www.coalenergyinc.com, clicked on the glossary on the main menu, i still get the error messages as below...

Not Found

The requested URL /glossary was not found on this server.
                          Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks for your patience in advance

Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBiker View Post
                            It is simply not right to walk you through the very basic steps when you should be studying the Tutorials and working on your own progress just like everyone else.
                            Correct.
                            There are simply too many available resources that are obviously not being used (Tutorials, previous Forum threads/posts, etc.) to continue this persistent "private explanation" allowance. If everyone else can use the tools, resources, explanations, and examples effectively, there is no reason to continue this repetitive "instruction" further.

Comment

Working...
                            X