PDA

View Full Version : parts search > eCom site?

jsilvey8
03-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I am a total new comer I have an appliance parts company and would like to build an e-commerce site for my parts I would like to have the first page search by model # or by the individual part # I tried to set it up but could not make it work. Is their a download for this type of thing?

Vasili
03-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Knowing the kind of website that would best suit your needs, you'd be better off using osCommerce shopping cart system, which you can install for free as a VodaHost customer with a few clicks of your mouse using the Fantastico! feature in your VodaHost account Control Panel.

osCommerce does not have the same limitations on depth of Categories and Sub-Categories the others do (which can only be overcome by purchasing and installing additional plugins - not an easy task for the common man whatsoever), can handle unlimited inventory levels, and once set up will run auto-pilot for years without a worry. * It is this level of cataloging inventory with depth and detail of Categories and Sub-Catagories that defines the overall superior "Search" capabilities of osCommerce when compared to other eCommerce cart solutions, especially when it comes to item search or multi-category refrencing.

The initial learning curve is quite a step, but once you get past simple "customization" and begin loading inventory, you will be surprised at how integrated you can get it to run: there are plugins that will allow you to hook it up to a Quickbooks Store, for example, and it can tap into most front-end POS software titles as well (with a minimum of effort and critical thinking/planning).

If there was ever a motivator to go ahead and purchase a hosting account from VodaHost with no idea of a website already created, this would be it. Guaranteed osCommerce will fit the bill, and after the initial phase, I know you will agree it was well worth the time and effort.

Comparing Shopping Carts in Fantastico (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/shopping-carts/43331-comparing-shopping-carts-fantastico-magento.html)