X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-frame - static background

Hi everyone,
    This set-up I would like to have!

The i-frame part I understand....just need to be clever with the sizing of it lol

How is it set up, though, whereby you can scroll the whole central part of the page while the background remains stationary?

Many thanks for all tips
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Re: i-frame - static background

In your mind, the only reason to use an iFrame rather than a ScrollBox (in BV called a "Combobox") would be to insert images, correct? Images can be pasted into BV Comboboxes.

And if you are using scrollbars on your iFrame to present a longer/taller page than what you're comfortable normally designing in BV, why not simply keep the iFrame only as tall as needed to either:
    A. Stay within the original margins of your background (an thus be a shorter iFrame in actuality), or:
    B. Properly re-size your background to accommodate the largest page size needed, so to have a universal capability and continuity.

The proper dimensions for an image as a background to be universally viewed "under" a Centered page is about 1750 pixels wide, and I always try to think page depth should be between 1100 and 1500 for normal use (and the "Fold" remaining at about 650 to keep everything in full monitor view). Thus, if using the Static Background method, an image background should be at least 1750x750 in order to always provide a universal view for Centered pages for all Viewer resolutions.

However you figure out how to use a background image sized however large (with or without an iFrame for larger content), when dealing with page scrollbars and static backgrounds Chris' Tip seems to work just fine ... and in your case, I would modify the code to "center" to "top" so the image is flush to the top of the page.

EITHER/OR
    Using the "Static Background" method works only if you do not use an iFrame .... the 'page' floats over the static image, allowing for Content lengths of any size (length) to display over a constant background, and emphasizes the normal use of the browser window scroller handles. The Static Background method preserves SEO page valuations, and does not disrupt normal page navigation constructs.
    Using an iFrame or ScrollBox is used to compensate instead of using the Static Background method, allowing an unlimited "length" of
    Content to be displayed within a defined area (over a non-moving background), and relies on "inside-window" scroller rather than the browser window scroller. iFrames eliminate SEO page values whereas Scrollboxes do not, and both pose serious page navigation challenges.
    Using both methods together on one page is not only redundant, but quite illogical and extremely likely to be cause for rampant
    confusion amongst those reviewing this post who struggle with either English or web-building techniques and concepts as it is. Choose one method to implement for best results, and try not to over-think it with regard to your overall Web Design Plan.

Personally, I think iFrames overly fascinate people who do not understand how to use them effectively nor foresee how disruptive they are to the browsers to produce a clean Visitor view, and caution against use of them as often as I can, always explaining why the Combobox is more SEO-worthy and browser-stable instead. Often instead of either, using the "Single Menu BV+PHP" is the superior method altogether, as the code actually becomes part of the page code itself (best for SEO and overall functionality). You just have to decide how much to wrap your head around, and if the effort is worth the desired results!

But that's me: trying to keep things simple, tight, and performance-oriented!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
      But that's me: trying to keep things simple.................!
      I'm happy you didn't give me the "complicated" version lol

No, seriously, thanks so much for your explanation. Your advice is always constructive & helpful.......I'll let you know how I get on

david
      Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

My verbosity has nothing to do with my extraneous attempts to keep things simple (unfortunately). I find it the hardest thing to "boil things down" and still fully explain the simple logic and concepts so they can be easily understood universally and take root the first go-round.

Oh well! Yes ... do keep us in the loop as to how things evolved for you. It does a lot to reinforce the basics that others can follow with confidence.

Comment

You might HAVE to use an I frame that exceeds the screen limits (if, in example, you have content on top and the the iframe in the lower part.

So the issue here is simple:

to make your backgroung image static (Page Properties -> Formatting -> Background Image) and select "Fixed Background"
          Then, to get the effect in your example link, place an image IN the page, behind the iframe.

Simple solution to have scrollbars as required WITHOUT i-frames (which are bad for SEO)

Add a Layer in your page, just as you would add an Iframe.
          Right click it , select HTML, and add this code in the Layers HTML, Inside Tag:

style="overflow:auto;"

Now add your text (initially a small text block) ON THE LAYER and start typing (or copy/paste your text)
          While typing the text will seem to exceed the layer bottom, but as soon as you finish typing, you will see that only the part ON the layer remains visible.

If now you PREVIEW, you will see that the layer has scrollbars that allow to scroll through the long text.

Vasili
          In your mind, the only reason to use an iFrame rather than a ScrollBox (in BV called a "Combobox") would be to insert images, correct? Images can be pasted into BV Comboboxes.

Combobox allows images ? Maybe you mean something else ? Comboboxes are form controls and will not allow any images or any other HTML code or element other than text. You can't even format text in more than one ways (no text formating for parts of text, only unique settings for all text)
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
            Combobox allows images ? Maybe you mean something else ? Comboboxes are form controls and will not allow any images or any other HTML code or element other than text. You can't even format text in more than one ways (no text formating for parts of text, only unique settings for all text)
            My mistake! I know that .... what immediately came to mind was another tool I used last to do just that (a scripted scrollbox), in order to overcome the limitations of BV's Combobox. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to make the distinction clearer before typing ... just as you should have realized the "Fixed Background" option you mention does not yet exist in current versions of Blue Voda, thus using the method I suggested is most proper.

Anyway, the jist of the replies are sound, and your "Layer" suggestion above seems to be a valued expansion of abilities and should prove an excellent contribution many can use to their advantage!

Comment

Working...
            X