Hardware wizard -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware wizard -

I have a compaq presario 5400us desktop. windows xp. Ive been having issues with my hardware wizard popping up when I log on with a message of seeing a printer to be installed. So I went ahead and detatched my printer and uninstalled the software..its now not attatched and my wizard still sees something there.
    Is there anyone that has any ideas?
    greatly apreciated!
    Kate

Re: Hardware wizard -

Hey

Whenever you restart your computer, the New Hardware Wizard may detect your previously installed printer, even though it is not a newly installed printer. This problem can occur when the printer driver is initially installed. The printer installation program from the manufacturer does not enable the New Hardware Wizard to finish its detection of the newly installed printer. To work around this problem, enable the New Hardware Wizard to finish, even though the wizard cannot detect a new printer.
    Dave Hickey

www.youngstroke.org.nz

www.eko.co.nz

Comment

I have gone thru the motions, it will ask for the cd and or for me to chose the hardware manually, and there isnt anything to choose! so Im not too sure on how to run it to the finish.

Comment

This may help you, Kate. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298370
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Good info and I was following it all up to the point of:
          5.Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.6.Under Confirm Key Delete, click Yes.

There was quite a bit of information there so I became nervous..delete is not my best friend!..lol

Comment

Originally posted by kassi59
            Good info and I was following it all up to the point of:
            5.Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.6.Under Confirm Key Delete, click Yes.

There was quite a bit of information there so I became nervous..delete is not my best friend!..lol
            LOL As long as you follow the instructions to the letter, you won't do any harm.
            My NASCAR Forum

Comment

ok...I went ahead and recieved a message that stated there was an error:
              cannot delete LPTENUM: error while deleting key.
              Put me behind a camera...Im fine..a computer however is quite another story...then Im back in kindergarden..lol.

Comment

Kate, is this a printer you want to be able to use?
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Yes, I am using it all the time. There "really" isnt any issues with the printer, its my plug n play seems to "see" a printer that isnt there?
                  I didnt know exactly what to do so I did a complete "clean" of all hardware. Unplugged and uninstalled..and will all hardware detached, she still "saw" a printer. So I just went ahead and reinstalled the printer. And the message still appears...I have a USB connection and the plug n play may be "seeing" a port connection? Im not sure.
                  The very helpful link you wrote above, I tried to go into that further and Im not very good at words and the proper ones to type into the search.

Comment

This looks worth a try, Kate. I copied and pasted, so don't blame spelling errors on me. LOL

1. Uninstall printer's driver.
                    2. Reboot PC, then put driver CD into CD-ROM.
                    3. Power on the printer.
                    4. Connect printer to PC.
                    5. After "Found New Hardware Wizard" message pops up, choose "Auto" then press Next.
                    6. The Hardware Wizard will browse the CD to find out the INF file of driver.
                    7. Press OK to keep installing driver when you see a digital signature warning dialog
                    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

cool! sounds good, Ill give it a try, lol, cant hurt!...printer still works fine, just the annoying message everytime I sign on...
                      Your awsome! thanx for all your hard research! it is much apreciated!

Comment

Working...
                      X