Addon versus Subdomain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addon versus Subdomain

My main site is flooraudit.com which I purchased and set up when I opened an account with Vodahost. I then purchased a domain name through vodahost domains called noahanne.com (totally unrelated to my first). Both sites work great. However, I thought I had set it up as an addon domain, which it is, but it is also showing up in my cpanel as a subdomain called noah.flooraudit.com. When I tried to delete it out of the subdomain it tells me I can't because it is linked to the addon domain noahanne.com and if I want to delete it, I must first remove the addon domain. If I do this, will I mess things up further? I must have done something wrong when I first set it up. How can I delete this subdomain or does it matter?

Thanks
    Cindy
    Cindy Smentowski

Re: Addon versus Subdomain

Please note that addon domains use a subfolder of your main root directory. The DNS system is updated at the moment od creation od a subdomain or an addon domain, and knows where to point a visitor's browser when he types in the address bar that domain name. BUT if yoy delete the subfolder, this will result in complete loss of your addon site.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Navaldesign: So are you saying that when I added the addon domain site that it automatically created the subdomain? When I obtained the addon, I remember someone at Vodahost doing a "push?" or something to that affect. So in otherwords, leave the subdomain alone, or else I will delete my second site entirely, right?

I guess I will learn more, as I am about to transfer an existing domain that is being hosted elsewhere (as soon as they update the registar info) called allaboutfloors.us (that I have had for a few years). When that happens, then I will follow the transfer procedures that you have posted elsewhere of getting that domain name over to my vodahost account. Can I assume when I transfer that domain name that it will also create a subdomain? I thought the two (addon and subdomain) were completely different? All three of my websites I have paid for domain names and so wouldn't think they would be in the subdomain folder? Ok...I guess I am confused?
      Cindy Smentowski

Comment

More or less it is so. Addon domains are completely independent domains, which you register and purchase, whilst subdomains are just sub-sections of an already registered domain. The subdomain also, even though it doesn't need registering (because it is part of the main domain) also has it's own entity in the web, meaning that it is directly accessible on the www by typing it address on the browser address bar.
        The folder of the addondomain and of the subdomain are kept in the datacenter datase, so the broeser id dericted by the server to the correct folder.
        In the practical field now, both subdomains and addon domains share the same disk space with the main account. They both, as said, have a folder, inside the public_html. The CP though is only one: and it sees the addon domain also as SUBDOMAIN - whilst not also viceversa: it will not see a subdomain as Addondomain.

Transferring or pointing any domain in your main account will not create any subdomain in your account. But adding the new domain as Addondomain (a necessary procedure) will.
        And yes, you're wright, it is not so intuitive that an addon domain also figures in the subdomain list of your CP. But it is so.

So that's why CP will not let you delete the subdomain, because this way you will delete all the site.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you for explaining. Makes sense now.
          Cindy Smentowski

Comment

I have question related to deleting of add-on domain, yes c-p is not leeting me to delete the dmain but erliere when i created this for the first time i was able to do that if at all if i want to delete subdoamin what do i have to do?

Comment

CP > Subdomains > From the bottom drop down list select your subdomain and click on delete.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Hello, I have an account (domain registration and host pack) in VH, now I purchase a new domain, change the DNS, and all the that things. My question is: could I create emails whith my second domain extensions?, for ex. info@myseconddomain.com.

Comment

Working...
                X