This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close out one site; move seeker to the new one

Is there a simple quick way to create a 401 (or is it 404) page to move people from my old site (which I'm closing) to my new one?

Obviously I'll be emailing my original list to inform them, but it's the people who are out browsing that I'm concerned about. I don't want to lose them.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Norma Jean

Re: Close out one site; move seeker to the new one

Simply forward the domain to the new domain at the Registrar, so both will direct traffic to the "new" single site.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

at the Registrar ??

Have no idea what the registrar means. Is that something in my control panel? What is it? How do I find it?

Thank you.

Comment

You will enter the Domain Forwarding at the Domain Registrar (the place from whom you purchased the domain, as they "register" it with ICANN on your behalf).

If you purchased your domain from eNom through VodaHost, then you will need to access your Domain Manager Panel at eNom: these contact and domain account details were provided to you upon purchase of your domain.
        If you purchased your Domain from someone else, and it still resides with them (assuming that you did not transfer it to VodaHost), then you will need to access the Domain Manager Panel at that Registrar.

If you purchased your Domain from eNom through VodaHost and do not know how to access the Domain Manager Panel for your Domain, or cannot logon for any reason, you may wish to contact Support for assistance. The same applies for other Registrars ... they will be the ones to offer support in accessing your domain that resides with them.

Comment

Ah. Now that makes sense. I always purchase domain names from Go Daddy. So I would go to that site and proceed from there? Does it matter that my Name Server is directed to VodaHost?
          NS1.VODA3.COM
          NS2.VODA3.COM

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Correct.

You will logon to your account at GD and then go to Domain Manager. Once there, you will see the domains in your account, and you will then click once on the "old" domain you will be forwarding to your "new" domain/site.
            Once clicked, above the domain a Toolbar will emerge and will list FORWARD as an option. Click on this and you will be asked to enter the domain to which this "old" domain is to be forwarded, and you will simply enter the "new" domain with full URL (i.e. "http://www.NewDomain.com"). The earlier entered DNS/Nameserver info will automatically be eliminated by opting instead to FORWARD the domain, so that is all you need to do.

By forwarding the "old" domain to the "new" one, those familiar visitors will be seamlessly delivered to the new site without any difficulty using the old Bookmarks and saved URL's .... if they notice the change (you might think to also place an easily visible 'Notice' somewhere on the index page to inform all visitors, new and old), they then have the opportunity to add or correct any saved URL's or Bookmarks to update their contact info.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks again. Really appreciate the help. :^)

Comment

.... and on we go!

Comment

Working...
                X