X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guestbook error

When I published my Contact Page with a guestbook I received this message:

Warning
    : filesize() [function.filesize]: stat failed for ./guestbookdb.php in /home/erbzabp/public_html/guestbook.php on line 235
    No posts found.

What should I do?

Thanks!
    -Phil Condit

Re: Guestbook error

Using Guestbook is asking for trouble, as it is nothing but a magnet for Spam and Hacks. Has been for a long time, which is why it has been largely ignored by most of us.

Nonetheless, your original issue seems to indicate that your Guestbook has been improperly installed ... but I may be wrong, and defer to others who have considerably more coding expertise than do I.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I removed the guestbook and re-installed it - drag and drop - I don't know how I can do that wrong. Anybody else?

Thanks!

Comment

No! It is not "drag and drop"!
        And, if you still wish to stubbornly ignore warnings and expose your site to the nonsense that Guestbooks create (Spam, Hacks, etc.), you will need to install it correctly nonetheless, which will require you to follow the prescribed methods:

You should be installing and 'presenting' it on your pages similar to the method used for Web Calendar, or any other script that needs to be installed via Fantastico! in it's own directory with a database ...

TUTORIAL: How To Use Fantastico! in cPanel

With a few clicks in Fantastico!, you install Guestbook in it's own directory on your domain (which you can name as Step 1 during the install process, and which will automatically be created for you) so that a link to your new guestbook might look something like this: "www.YourDomain.com/guestbook/"

The next step is to insert an Inline Frame (iFrame) onto your BV Page and enter the link to your Guestbook so it will present as if it was actually part of your page itself. If you review the Tutorial on how to use Inline Frames, the demonstration should be sufficient to illustrate what I mean, and you can see clearly how I added a web calendar to this page using the same iFrame method. Use the same method for your Guestbook.
        >> TUTORIAL: Creating an Inline Frame (iFrame)

These same procedures, steps, and methods have been digested by countless thousands before you, all with predictable and enviable results. If you are singularly struggling, you will need to simply invest singular effort to overcome these vaporous limitations to achieve the end results that are well within your reach.

You yourself will have to intelligently implement the easy-to-follow detailed instructions provided nonetheless. This is a "Do-It-Yourself" Community, and it is unreasonable to expect someone to do it for you, or to continue to offer personalized instruction or assistance as you have recently become accustomed.

Comment

I suppose you are talking about the BV built in Guestbook ? Not any of those that can be installed through cPanel / Fantastico.
          If yes, it IS a Drag & Drop procedure, although you must double click it to correctly set its properties.

The error message indicates that the file doesn't exist yet.

Simply make a Welcome post, so that the file is created, and the error message will not appear anymore.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

The uninstalling/re-installing explains the overwriting of the page code that you corrected for him earlier ...

Comment

Why ? I mean, they are different pages afterall. Publishing one should not affect the other.

The Gallery issue might only be caused by a page republishing.
              Navaldesign
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

As he mentioned in his post (in the other thread) 15 minutes after I made this postulation, it was most likely from re-formatting the Menu and re-publishing it site-wide.

Comment

He changed the page background and republished, thus overwrting the amendments I had made directly on the server file.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Guestbook error

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                    Using Guestbook is asking for trouble, as it is nothing but a magnet for Spam and Hacks. Has been for a long time, which is why it has been largely ignored by most of us.
                    Vasili recommended that I not use the Guestbook as it is a magnet for spam and hackers. Is this the common feeling? Should I just delete it?

Thanks!

Comment

Why don't you simply do a Forums Search on "guestbook" to see all the discussions over the years that illustrate this?

Or, survey the Customer Website Review Forum to see how many of your peers actually use Guestbook on their sites.

No need to wait for the answers that are ever-present before you ...

Comment

Just so you know, I am not stupid or lazy, I am ignorant of the right way to accomplish my goals, so I ask questions.

In looking for answers I saw that Vodahost offered a community forum. It seemed logical to me that when I didn't find the answer perusing the existing posts to put my question out there. That system works just fine with Creative Cow for Adobe products.

Is there another forum I should be using, or a different manner?

Thanks.

Comment

Perusing, surveying, Searching ... these are great ways in which to find answers to questions and solutions to new or unique issues.

Suggesting that you 'Search' the Forums is merely an expedient way to have a greater volume of pertinent posts to analyze at your own speed, and being able to do so frees you from waiting for responses for others who may or may not reply in a timely manner. It also allows you the opportunity to see issues from different perspectives and in different terms as well as addressing different levels of technical expertise, also which allows a greater opportunity to find answers that are more easily undertstood and implementable.

Of course, as demonstrated by your open question, you don't have to take my or any other's word for it, and are free to do things your own way. I was just offering what I believed to be some common sense advice as a hint of a different way that might prove useful ...

Comment

When I ask for other people's responses, I am not ignoring your suggestions. I am looking to see if there is a general consensus.

As you can see by my website, I have just completed an independent feature film. When I screen the film I ask for and embrace all reviews, criticisms, and suggestions, looking for a common theme. If I found there was a consensus that a scene detracted from the film, I would strongly consider removing it.

I have posted my website on the forum for review and have received several good suggestions. However, I will wait to see if there are conflicting opinions before make changes. I believe in strength in numbers.

Comment

Generally speaking, blogs and guestbooks attract spam. Unfortunately this is the way Internet works, we are all exposed to such things.

If, however, you need one, you can install a third party GB that allows control over posts, that is, posts have to be approved by the Administrator (you) before they show up on the site. This is rather good and easy solution, if you do have the time to review / approve posts.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X