Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have 2 monitors on 1 computer with drag & drop from one to the other??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have 2 monitors on 1 computer with drag & drop from one to the other??

Hi,
    Can you HELP! Can you have 2 monitors on one computer with a different item in each screen? IE website on one & MS Word on the other.
    And if so! Can you drag & drop from one screen to another? This would save me bundles of time if you can.

Hope someone can help.

Chris.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Re: Can you have 2 monitors on 1 computer with drag & drop from one to the other??

Yes you can, I use dual monitors mainly for my karaoke set up and when I am video editing on my PC. You need a dual graphics card, which you may already have in your PC if it is fairly new. They are pretty cheap to buy, mine cost me about £20. They are available from all of the computer parts stores.
    Have a look at these sites for more info.

http://www.bestpricecomputers.co.uk/...al-monitor.htm

http://www.cyberinkdesign.com/dual_monitors.htm

http://freepctech.com/pc/001/guide_dual_monitors.shtml

http://www.plusplace.co.uk
    royb@plusplace.co.uk

Comment

Re: Can you have 2 monitors on 1 computer with drag & drop from one to the other??

Hi,
      Thanks for your help & advice. But have found a new way to do this. I have a small network/switch at home & found this software http://www.maxivista.com/new.htm that allows you to work on multi computers & screens all at the same time via the hub. I have two machines in the same room, so I am trying this one out at the moment, & it seems to be very good. (You have to have 2 computers linked for this software to work)

Cheers,

Chris.
      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Just if anyone needs it... heres instructions on how to set up dual monitors:

PDF Instructions

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

I got 3 monitors going on one box. Windows XP by default will let you have two.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

thank you so much

Comment

Originally posted by royb
              Yes you can, I use dual monitors mainly for my karaoke set up and when I am video editing on my PC. You need a dual graphics card, which you may already have in your PC if it is fairly new. They are pretty cheap to buy, mine cost me about £20. They are available from all of the computer parts stores.

you shoked me man i have never thoght that such thing is impossible im realey shoked

Comment

Originally posted by royb

you shocked me man i have never thought that such thing is impossible I'm really shocked

Comment

This is the place for me!!!!!

I used to only use dual monitors when I was working on a printing project. I would be working with an image editor on one monitor and using the other monitor for windows to certain folders, files, and, documents.

Now, this just isn't enough, so I got creative with this(understatement):

I have 2 sets of dual monitors(4 TOTAL)with the desktop extended across all 4.
                  --thanks to nVidia, each monitor has a set of gridlines that section the screen into custom-sized sections, which i can use each section as a location for a window, application or file. i use HOTKEYS and mouse gestures(click titlebar of window and flick wrist+let go of clickbutton to throw selected window to another screen) to to easily organize what i am working with.

its nice being able have my browser, bluevoda, all my image programs, the necessary folders and of course,Notepad all open and instantly sized just the way i need so i can drag and drop from screen to screen, window to window, or application to application without having to open/close all the time.

But, this requires some "UUMPH" for a single pc to handle and multiple graphics/video cards,memory, and processor.

I'm not bragging, it's mah bebe! I LOVE IT!!!

0o0o0o0 i just recently saw a dual flat panel monitor that can share one base and the screens can swivel side-by-side and back-to-back.. I saw it briefly but I want some!! =)
                  Robert
                  www.GraphXntrix.com
                  Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Wicked!! I want to see if I can link up my laptop with my computer. Would save so much time for me! ... Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by darklight
                      Wicked!! I want to see if I can link up my laptop with my computer. Would save so much time for me! ... Is that possible?
                      Absolutely possible. However, connecting your laptop to your computer is not the same as having multiple monitors.

If you wanted to simulate a similar type of environment as I have describe earlier, then you would have to make ALOT of changes to settings throughout your laptop and your desktop. Rather, ALOT of system-wide changes will be made to your laptop and desktop.

If the idea you had in mind with doing this is to utilize both the laptop's system AND the desktop's system while being able to drag and drop files and move items between the two(by this, I assume the desired effect is a spanned desktop/shared desktop), then by all means give it a shot!

This would be categorized as a "Home Network" with "Desktop Sharing, or Shared Desktop" <--not exact tems, general category.

--Windows XP has a setup wizard that can lead you through the process of creating the connections and folders necessary to use your pc's together.

A while back I used to have two pc's linked together using(before I had internet) an extra ethernet Network Adapter to connect them, and a KVM switch adapter that would allow me to use one monitor, mouse, and keyboard to operate both pc's. This setup has nothing to do with what you have in mind, I'm sure, but seeing as how I eventually would get a High-Speed Internet service I would need another Network Adapter to connect to the cable modem. However,...

to use the internet on both was nearly impossible because ICS(internet connection sharing) couldn't be used with my service plan.
                      yada yad yada....

Unless you have a firm understanding of your operating sytem, correctly managing network, file, and folder settings, then I would stick to a more realistic approach.
                      Robert
                      www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Re: Can you have 2 monitors on 1 computer with drag &amp; drop from one to the other??

USB stick all the way! lol. I dont want to really mes around with my laptop too much to be honest. When I get a new one, then I will for sure link them together.
                        Thanks for clearing that up for me!
                        Regards
                        Teri

Comment

Re: Can you have 2 monitors on 1 computer with drag &amp; drop from one to the other??

Your Welcome.

USB stick? you mean wireless adapter? Do you use it to connect to your internet's wireless router?

If you wanted to give your idea a shot, here is a just one guide that I found useful to learn more about making wireless connections:

If you like, let me know what you would like to accomplish by linking your laptop to your pc in terms of productivity. I have played around with LOTS of ideas and I would be happy to share them.
                          Robert
                          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

I basically just meant transferring files from my computer to my laptop. but yes, I do use a usb stick to connect to the wireless router. Cheers for the link! When I get back to England, Ill see what I can do with it all!
                            Cheers
                            Teri

Comment

Working...
                            X